Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Had to put down our dog today
Quote | Reply
So we just had to put down our dog today, she was 14 and has had health issues for a while. Saturday she fell/wandered into the pond next to our condo. She has hated water her entire life so it was odd she even got close to it. The Mrs. and I finally decided that she was starting to become a danger to herself, she has been wondering around the house a little more aimlessly the last couple of weeks, so we told our girls, 9 and 6, last night and took her in today. I was holding her when the drugs hit and man, that was one of the worst feelings I have ever had. Work and other interactions with random people are pretty crappy today. Worst part is that this was my first pet that wasn't a fish, I figured it would suck, but I was off by an order of magnitude.
Quote Reply
Re: Had to put down our dog today [sgoehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, it is never easy. Had to put down my boy back in March. My baby girl is 15 and her days are limited.

Dogs bring us unimaginable joy and unconditional love. The only problem is, they are never, ever with us as long as we would like. Just remember the good times you had and wonderful life you gave to your pooch!

Very sorry for your loss. The pain eases, but, the memories never fade and that is another gift those magnificent creatures give to us!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for your loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, it's horrible.

I'm really sorry. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MY deepest condolences. There may be nothing harder than to make that decision.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are family members, just of the four-legged kind. I'm sure she had a wonderful life and probably got as much joy and comfort from you as she gave to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What JSA said up above, plus - let me say 'thank you' on her behalf for being there for her until the very end and seeing her off. Absolutely the worst and hardest part of having pets, but after they've given you so much it's the kindest thing you can do to end their suffering peacefully. 14 is a good long run and eventually you'll be able to remember the good stuff more than the end.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry. On the bright side dog#2 is waiting for you. Dogs being dogs, this one will also bring joy. And #3 and #4.......
Quote Reply
Re: Had to put down our dog today [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the thoughts and kind words, she was a great dog, beagle/hound mix, that did so much to make us laugh over the years. This weekend when the wife and kids go on vacation is going to be tough as it was the time that the dog and I would hang out. House is going to be quiet that's for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Had to put down our dog today [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Dude, it is never easy. Had to put down my boy back in March. My baby girl is 15 and her days are limited.

Dogs bring us unimaginable joy and unconditional love. The only problem is, they are never, ever with us as long as we would like. Just remember the good times you had and wonderful life you gave to your pooch!

Very sorry for your loss. The pain eases, but, the memories never fade and that is another gift those magnificent creatures give to us!

Well said. My dog isn't even 3, and I honestly get misty eyed thinking of having to put her down 10-12 years down the line. I just cant imagine how must that much hurt.

But, it only hurts that much because our love for them, and their unconditional love for us, is so strong. They are truly wonderful animals.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry for your loss but thankful for 'parents' like you who love your dog(s) unconditionally, as they deserve. All the best as you work through this one.
Quote Reply
Re: Had to put down our dog today [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

I've killed a thousand animals in my life. Yet I cried like a baby when I had to have a dog put down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please accept my condolences on your loss. Many of us here have gone through this. I lost my best girl last June at age 13 years 3 months. It was one of the worst days of my life, and I still miss her dearly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so very, very sorry. It's so hard to lose a dog; it's even harder when you have to put them down. My golden Hoover was dying of bone cancer and we decided it was finally time. He wouldn't lie down, so I gently pulled his legs out from under him so he didn't collapse on to the concrete when the drugs hit. Hardest thing I've ever done. Still get verklempt just thinking about...just know there's lots of folks with a lot empathy for you right now.

Quote | Reply
Thanks again to all of you, you have made it easier to deal with. I feel like a bit of me went with her but know we made the right decision. I keep hearing her walking around tonight in my head and had a hard time taking the child locks off the cabinet with the garbage in it so she didn't get into it overnight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone else said earlier-all dog lovers thank you for being there and loving her enough to stop her suffering. Immense grief is equaled only by immense love.
I have had only one dog, and a horse that I was not holding them when they died-I regret only that. Not that I had to suffer to stop theirs.
Thinking of you and your children...
Quote Reply
Re: Had to put down our dog today [cayenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel for you.....
My best friend was with me from my Junior year in college, 1993 to April 2001. Ultimately, in 2000, he fought the good fight against cancer. Did chemo, and other treatments to help extend quality of life. Cost a fortune, but every penny was worth it, would pay it all again in a heartbeat.
My guy's last night was tough. I slept on the floor next to him, and he woke me up at 4:00a to tell me it was his time. Wife and knew immediately it was time to take him to ER vet for his final moments. Wife, I, and my mother ("grandmother") were there in the ER with him as vet MD started an IV line. We knew we had done everything and fought the cancer as long as possible. He passed on while in my arms, and wife and "grandmother" were next to him. That was the hardest time to see him pass. But, we all knew it was coming and expected. I am thankful that we (those humans he so loved and protected) were there for him as he slipped away. It was tough to go through, but if I had to guess....he appreciated us being there for him in his last moments.
Yes, it all sucks. It's hard to move past, but it does get easier with time. Hang in there, and remember the good times.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Had to put down our dog today [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taugen wrote:
I feel for you.....
My best friend was with me from my Junior year in college, 1993 to April 2001. Ultimately, in 2000, he fought the good fight against cancer. Did chemo, and other treatments to help extend quality of life. Cost a fortune, but every penny was worth it, would pay it all again in a heartbeat.
My guy's last night was tough. I slept on the floor next to him, and he woke me up at 4:00a to tell me it was his time. Wife and knew immediately it was time to take him to ER vet for his final moments. Wife, I, and my mother ("grandmother") were there in the ER with him as vet MD started an IV line. We knew we had done everything and fought the cancer as long as possible. He passed on while in my arms, and wife and "grandmother" were next to him. That was the hardest time to see him pass. But, we all knew it was coming and expected. I am thankful that we (those humans he so loved and protected) were there for him as he slipped away. It was tough to go through, but if I had to guess....he appreciated us being there for him in his last moments.
Yes, it all sucks. It's hard to move past, but it does get easier with time. Hang in there, and remember the good times.
I almost threw up...because this is so touching (and hurts because of how my buddy passed this last year)

I was gone doing ST.G 70.3. My old man came to watch the kids (and dog) while I was with the wife doing the race. We knew he wasn't doing good (he was old and moving slow) but he still kept on keeping on. Anyways, dad writes and says it's bad and he isn't eating. Long story short, It REALLY HURT me that I wasn't there. What if he was looking for me and just wanted me to be there so he felt better and relaxed. The kids where there (as was my dad) but he was MY dog. He was before the wife, the kids, everything...and I wasn't there. Still hurts.

It is always tough, but KNOW they loved you like no one could, just as you loved them the same!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry. Been there. Had to put our 7 yr old down in April (waaay too early - still not anywhere near over it). And our 14 yr old girl back in 2011. It's never easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Had to put down our dog today [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish we had a like button on here to make it easier to respond to you all easier, lol. The "firsts" of everything this last 36 hours have been crappy and am sure it will continue but it is getting a LITTLE easie, but not by much. Oh and don't watch the YouTube video for Don Diablo's - Take Her Place, probably watched/listened to that song 50 times in the since the event.
Quote Reply