Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Explain this to me -- Stock Market related [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

do, and just cant bring yourself to admit, that yeah, at its core the market like a pyramid scheme needs new investors and new money to continue to grow.

Ha. You can't bring yourself to admit that, yeah, the one of the greatest financial innovations in history and the beating heart of the greatest capitalist economy in the world that has benefited generations is, in fact, very little like Bernie Madoff using new investors to pay off the older investors while providing no product of value.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 28, 19 7:31
Quote Reply
Re: Explain this to me -- Stock Market related [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grantbot21 wrote:
Just stick with engineering.

Not sure why, seems all are in agreement, they are similar, not the same but in the one construct I was looking at the need for an ever expanding user base they are.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Grantbot21 wrote:
Just stick with engineering.

Not sure why, seems all are in agreement, they are similar, not the same but in the one construct I was looking at the need for an ever expanding user base they are.

I have not read that anyone agrees with you. FYI
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
trail wrote:
In addition to the question of value, the stock market is also structurally not pyramidal. When you sell a stock, you get to keep the proceeds. The original seller of the stock (the company) gets nothing. In pyramid schemes each sale filters all the way up.

Some aspects used to be more pyramid-like with the fee-based commissions all filtering up to elite brokers. But the "load" has been driven so low in recent decades (thanks, Bogle!) that stock ownership is more egalitarian now.

So the first in the company.. sells the stock gets value out, guy who bought it, waits for hopefully at least 2 buyers so they will compete and drive his value higher, they wait for more people to sell to to drive price higher etc... until.. no one is there to buy, everyone starts lets say retiring and wants cash, now more and more sellers less buyers, value plummets first in's made their money, last in's get left holding the bag.

Sounds just like a pyramid scheme to me. The only value a company really has is its assets and with more and more online virtual companies the only assets are some computers, server networks and their real estate holdings.

By the way, your example here explains short term movements. A stock has a calculated value, per an analyst using a financial forum a and growth model. Then, there is reality of the actual price the stock trades for. As a stock becomes overvalued, eventually, people who own the stock sell it and buyers run out. The stock falls.

The part you’ve ail to realize is this-

At some point the stock becomes undervalued and buyers return and buy the stock. It may even be the same buyer that sold it in the first place and he chooses to buy it back again.

Short term movements are more behavioral based than financial formula based. This is where people in the know benefit and people that don’t know what they are doing lose out. Timing plays a big role in the short term.

Most people understand the concept of inflation and the need to invest and also create an income stream at retirement. I think the important question is to ask you what you do with your money if you chose to not invest in the stock market?

What do you do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If you run out of buyers, the whole thing will collapse.

No it won't. A lot of people are in the stock market because it offers them high liquidity, so radically changing that fact by introducing a "no buyer" hypothetical may make many current stock holders very unhappy. However, there's nothing that says you have to have a buyer of your stock in order to make money with a stock. I've never had a buyer for either of my companies' stock and they make me money year in and year out.
Last edited by: SH: Jul 28, 19 20:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is in a manner of sorts. It is a way for people to invest with very little effort on their part. It is a big confidence game. In the last few decades fueled by cheap money. Which gives little alternative unless you want to actively invest in a small business. Land offers the same opportunities. Around here agricultural land has been the best investment for the last 15 years because money can be borrowed so cheaply.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
...I was looking at the need for an ever expanding user base they are.

Fortunately, there is an ever expanding user base for the foreseeable future. Have you seen the global population?

With regards to the 20 and 30 year olds just not buying, it simply won't happen. Right now, Apple pays a total dividend of ~$14.2B out of its annual earnings. If someone is to believe their earnings stay even close to that, how low will the stock go before people can't resist it? Much like paying for passengers to go stand-by, most have a price.

You are focused on too large a picture. I recently invested in a small company. A few years later, someone bought said company, and I made a decent profit. You can argue that said company had no value, but if desired, over the next five years, the company could have issued dividends greater than my investment. Management (and investors) chose to roll those profits into the company for greater growth (and greater dividends or sale price). Was this company a pyramid scheme? If new buyers hadn't come along, the revenue stream still provided a value. Granted, the earnings could drop and the company value along with it, but the value largely came from the earnings and so long as those exist, the company value does also.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain this to me -- Stock Market related [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Your view seems a bit old school to me.

I don’t see it as a pyramid scheme- but simply legalized gambling.

I think the index funds have fundamentally changed the market. I work for a big company ~33% of our shares are owned by index funds. They really don’t buy like you called out caring about our future. Never before have we had that amount of basically disinterested owners. (Assuming before the mutual fund management cared- even if individual fund owners didn’t). It’s a very strange position to be in.

Index funds were one thing when they were <10% of the market - but they are a very large, very weird fundamental of the market now. There is a momentum force we have not seen before of this magnitude. I really wonder how this will shape the next downturn.

I have been thinking about this. If the majority of stock in the market is owned by index funds which buy stocks that are representative of the index not on the basis of felt value of said stocks the stock market is no longer a sorting mechanism for profitable vs non-profitable companies. What do we have then?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Explain this to me -- Stock Market related [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
Your view seems a bit old school to me.

I don’t see it as a pyramid scheme- but simply legalized gambling.

I think the index funds have fundamentally changed the market. I work for a big company ~33% of our shares are owned by index funds. They really don’t buy like you called out caring about our future. Never before have we had that amount of basically disinterested owners. (Assuming before the mutual fund management cared- even if individual fund owners didn’t). It’s a very strange position to be in.

Index funds were one thing when they were <10% of the market - but they are a very large, very weird fundamental of the market now. There is a momentum force we have not seen before of this magnitude. I really wonder how this will shape the next downturn.

I have been thinking about this. If the majority of stock in the market is owned by index funds which buy stocks that are representative of the index not on the basis of felt value of said stocks the stock market is no longer a sorting mechanism for profitable vs non-profitable companies. What do we have then?

Index funds are made up of companies that qualify for the index. The S&P 500, Dow 30, or Russell 2000 as examples- have companies that move in and out of the index based on market caps or industry sector.

There are plenty of stocks that are majority owned by institutions for mutual funds than private, retail investors. That I would agree with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

So the first in the company.. sells the stock gets value out, guy who bought it, waits for hopefully at least 2 buyers so they will compete and drive his value higher.

Apple has value. It earns billions of dollars per year. When you buy a stock you own a fractional share of those profits. It is that simple. The reason there are always buyers is because they are buying earnings (or in some cases a prediction of future earnings).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A company's stock price is calculated by adding up all future dividends that the company will distribute and discounting them to the present.

The shares have value because you have a claim on those dividends as a shareholder.

The reason the stock price fluctuates is because market participants do not agree on the future profitability of the company and the amount of those dividends.

The difference between a legit company and ponzi scheme is that a company generates cash through operations. A ponzi scheme only generates cash through new equity contributions, and those eventually dry up.

Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next