Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 12 speed bad idea for crit racing? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
benleg wrote:
IMO increasing your willingness to crash will increase your crit results alot more that chasing marginal gains.

So having a "walk away" bike (with ok wheels) is better that a super bike you will want to scratch.

Where do people come up with this?

It's utter nonsense.

If you crash, you lose. Pretty simple concept. No one wants to crash.

Sure, you don't want to crash... but power alone will not make you make you win in a bike race.

If you hesitate you lose !!! (assuming that you are in the correct Cat)

A of things need to go right to win a bike race... what i'm saying is that your willingness to take risk will help you a lot more that 2% efficiency.

What % of successful crit racers had crashes ?

Note: I probably have the watts of a Cat 2-3 (maybe), but do not have the like taking corner at speed with people around me (in part because; i don't like braking bones, in part i don't want to scratch my nice bike).... so i do tri

Note 2: a fairly good downhill skier, in a part of the world with a lot of hidden rocks... guess what; i'm a better skier when i use my older skis that i don't really care about... less hesitations (thus less falls) and more focus on having fun than trying to preserve my bases.
Last edited by: benleg: Jul 20, 19 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: 12 speed bad idea for crit racing? [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
so i do tri

Sounds like a win-win for you and crit racers. :)
Last edited by: trail: Jul 20, 19 11:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:

Sure, you don't want to crash... but power alone will not make you make you win in a bike race.

A of things need to go right to win a bike race... what i'm saying is that your willingness to take risk will help you a lot more that 2% efficiency.

Note: I probably have the watts of a Cat 2-3 (maybe), but do not have the like taking corner at speed with people around me (in part because; i don't like braking bones, in part i don't want to scratch my nice bike).... so i do tri

Note 2: a fairly good downhill skier, in a part of the world with a lot of hidden rocks... guess what; i'm a better skier when i use my older skis that i don't really care about... less hesitations (thus less falls) and more focus on having fun than trying to preserve my bases.

What percentage of successful BIKE RACERS had crashes?

All of them .

Crashes happen, of course. They happen in crits, they happen in road races, they happen in time trials.

Just because you don't have the ability or confidence to ride your bike in close quarters at high speeds does not mean that others don't, either. What you perceive as "risky" is, in fact, not.

You're propagating a bunch of nonsense based on your ignorance and inexperience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:

My desire to not crash has nothing to do with damaging the bike I'm on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the subject of the discussion is if spending +$10K on a bike with 1 extra gear will make you faster at crits.

What i'm saying is that, in my case, all the marginal gains (if any) will be lost to my reduced willingness to scraped a nice bike.
(Don't get me wrong, injuries are a lot worse than having to broken gear, we are talking about net marginal gain here)
Quote Reply
Re: 12 speed bad idea for crit racing? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
seppo17 wrote:
T-wrecks wrote:

seppo17 wrote:

Why were all the recent TDF TTT bikes set up with 58 and 60 tooth chaing rings?

Because any team of 8 world tour guys drafting each other easily went over 55 kph. You aren't pedaling a 53 tooth ring that fast.

What do you mean? 53/11 at 95 rpm is 35.8 mph(56.7kmph) If gear ratio is everything then that is prefectly fine, right?

T-wrecks wrote:

seppo17 wrote:

You gain leverage with the bigger chain ring. The ratio between cogs will also be smaller at the smaller end of the cassette.

You have nearly the exact same leverage. That is dictated by the crank length, and even then there is little difference in leverage across the most commonly used crank lengths.

The crank arm is a lever. The chain rings and cogs are a pulley. By increasing the chain ring you are adding mechnical advantage(aka leverage). In theory so does a smaller cog. The problem with the cog is it is attached to a relatively large radius fly wheel. The cost in force of a smaller cog is greater than a bigger chain ring, because of the large radius to the mass(the wheel vs the crankarm).

No. They’re both moving the same mass, because they’re connected by this thing called a chain. Outside of very tiny marginal losses due to friction, the only thing that matters is the ratio of chainring size to cog size.

Man, I want some of what he's having!

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next