Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Disc wheel choice [ThomasP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThomasP wrote:

Can you by any chance give me a few + and - for the enve disc? Since you have it, I bet every owner has both positive and negative things to say about it?

Iā€™m happy to, though itā€™s worth noting this is my first disc wheel, so donā€™t have anything to compare it to unfortunately.

+ Superb braking (Iā€™m on rim brakes, so this may not matter to you). But the ENVE brake track is excellent. Compared to Zipp SawTooth (on the NSWs) Iā€™d say the brake feel is better and more linear, though SawTooth is a bit more ā€œgrabbyā€ which is nice in an emergency. The pads on ENVE are also quieter and donā€™t seem to wear as quickly with less brake dust. I think the Super9 doesnā€™t have SawTooth, so Enve Is expect would be much better here.

+ Ride is much smoother than expected, especially running tubeless at 70 psi. I was expecting the disc to add a lot of harshness compared to a deep spoke wheel, not so. Iā€™m not sure I could even tell the difference as far as ride quality (handling is a bit different).

+ Looks. It looks really damn good, like a jewel, like something well build... luxurious. The checkered pattern to the carbon catches the light and just looks great. And I like that it matches my Enve 5 front wheel, which just handles superbly.

+ Price wasnā€™t really all that bad. Enve 20% off sales seem to being on everywhere right not. I paid just over $2K with no sales tax. And so far Iā€™d say itā€™s the best $2K I spent on wheel upgrades, but clearly I donā€™t need to sell you on the benefits of a disc (I was skeptical).

- Itā€™s a bit big. 1) Mounting the GP5000 TL was a bear. Not as bad as on the Enve 5.6 which was brutal (like 5x harder than any combo ever), but it was pretty tough and required a bead jack. I didnā€™t try mounting other tires or prestretxhed tires. It might just be that a fresh GP5KTL is a pita to mount on anything. Some other guy on this forum has a thread going seeking help installing on a HED Disc also.

- Itā€™s a bit big 2) I had a tough time fitting it on my bike with out brake rub. But itā€™s fine now. Just toon more adjusting to fussy integrated brakes than I hoped. Also not likely a con for you.

- Rim tape required, but seriously, that takes all of 2 min to install.

Bottom line, if youā€™re upgrading from rim to disc brakes (and might need a new front wheel anyhow) and want you wheels to match, Iā€™d say 5.6 or 7.8 plus ENVE disc is a killer combo.

One other tip - Be careful when you inject the sealant into the disc. I have a tendency to spill some. On a standard wheel thatā€™s no problem because it just drips onto the ground, but with the disc it gets inside the disc and is kind of a pain to mop up.
Last edited by: wintershade: Jul 18, 19 20:19
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel choice [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
ThomasP wrote:

Can you by any chance give me a few + and - for the enve disc? Since you have it, I bet every owner has both positive and negative things to say about it?

Iā€™m happy to, though itā€™s worth noting this is my first disc wheel, so donā€™t have anything to compare it to unfortunately.

+ Superb braking (Iā€™m on rim brakes, so this may not matter to you). But the ENVE brake track is excellent. Compared to Zipp SawTooth (on the NSWs) Iā€™d say the brake feel is better and more linear, though SawTooth is a bit more ā€œgrabbyā€ which is nice in an emergency. The pads on ENVE are also quieter and donā€™t seem to wear as quickly with less brake dust. I think the Super9 doesnā€™t have SawTooth, so Enve Is expect would be much better here.

+ Ride is much smoother than expected, especially running tubeless at 70 psi. I was expecting the disc to add a lot of harshness compared to a deep spoke wheel, not so. Iā€™m not sure I could even tell the difference as far as ride quality (handling is a bit different).

+ Looks. It looks really damn good, like a jewel, like something well build... luxurious. The checkered pattern to the carbon catches the light and just looks great. And I like that it matches my Enve 5 front wheel, which just handles superbly.

+ Price wasnā€™t really all that bad. Enve 20% off sales seem to being on everywhere right not. I paid just over $2K with no sales tax. And so far Iā€™d say itā€™s the best $2K I spent on wheel upgrades, but clearly I donā€™t need to sell you on the benefits of a disc (I was skeptical).

- Itā€™s a bit big. 1) Mounting the GP5000 TL was a bear. Not as bad as on the Enve 5.6 which was brutal (like 5x harder than any combo ever), but it was pretty tough and required a bead jack. I didnā€™t try mounting other tires or prestretxhed tires. It might just be that a fresh GP5KTL is a pita to mount on anything. Some other guy on this forum has a thread going seeking help installing on a HED Disc also.

- Itā€™s a bit big 2) I had a tough time fitting it on my bike with out brake rub. But itā€™s fine now. Just toon more adjusting to fussy integrated brakes than I hoped. Also not likely a con for you.

- Rim tape required, but seriously, that takes all of 2 min to install.

Bottom line, if youā€™re upgrading from rim to disc brakes (and might need a new front wheel anyhow) and want you wheels to match, Iā€™d say 5.6 or 7.8 plus ENVE disc is a killer combo.

One other tip - Be careful when you inject the sealant into the disc. I have a tendency to spill some. On a standard wheel thatā€™s no problem because it just drips onto the ground, but with the disc it gets inside the disc and is kind of a pain to mop up.

Thanks a lot for the words/time!

Atm Im between the enve and the roval, I Think it Will end up with the roval since its 3/4 of the enve Price, and as far as I can see its more or less equal. Still not sure tough šŸ˜‚
Quote Reply

Prev Next