Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How can we elect these idiots? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Personally I find it very interesting that Irish (my lineage), Italian, Polish (also my lineage), etc. all get lumped in as generically "white" even though in the early 1900s many of those ethnicities were confined to ghettos in cities like New York, Chicago, etc. Any injustices those groups may have faced in the past, any cultural pride they might have, and any stereotypes they might face now just get washed away because they are generically considered "white". This even extends to the census:

I was very tempted to write in "Irish/Polish" rather than checking the box for "white". Maybe next time around I will.

So the same as blacks and hispanics?
Quote Reply
Re: How can we elect these idiots? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JSA wrote:
While he was foolish to say it in today's wanna-be-woke-culture, he's not wrong. People try to tell me all the time that white people are not members of a protected class. Yeah, they are, based on their race. What he is saying is legally and factually accurate. Still ridiculously foolish to say.

just an observation: as smart as you are, and tho you realize that what this guy said betrays a breathtaking lack of judgment and value-grounding, you can reliably, like clockwork, be counted on to tweeze out some kind of defense of the indefensible. if you are not a defendant's attorney you missed your calling!

I’m not a member of the perpetually offended. I’m also not programmed to call every Republican a racist, like you are.

you know better. during my lifetime from reagan, to both bushes, mccain, dole, romney, most republican presidential candidates, many republicans have struggled, with compassion, with the border and immigration issues. you know that and you know that i know that. you also should know that trump is not like most republicans. he's forcing you to become a racist or condemn his racism. he's this generation's wallace.

because trump is making republican decide, the entire party is now forced to join the ranks of "good men" who "do nothing". it's not me who's tarring every republican with the specter of racism.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: How can we elect these idiots? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
You have a lot of anger and hate in your heart. You express it in a lot of your posts. Just an observation, that I am sure you will ignore.

Sorry to intrude here. I have read all his posts and have not felt the anger and hate of his heart. But then making observations of a mans heart, well that is getting personal.

I read your posts and his counters, or his posts and your counters and am thankful for the meaningful contribution each presents.

Speaking for myself, any hate and anger in my heart, like PR's on a race course, are distant memories. Whether testosterone reduction related, or just the accumulation of life's experiences, events that once might have brought out hate and anger now bring on anguish and frustration. The difference is way more than semantic. Hate is too toxic, too harmful, too destructive. Anger out of hate can be too intense such that resolution of it's cause might never be realized.

Twenty some years from now (?) maybe you will experience similar feelings.
Quote Reply
Re: How can we elect these idiots? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Personally I find it very interesting that Irish (my lineage), Italian, Polish (also my lineage), etc. all get lumped in as generically "white" even though in the early 1900s many of those ethnicities were confined to ghettos in cities like New York, Chicago, etc. Any injustices those groups may have faced in the past, any cultural pride they might have, and any stereotypes they might face now just get washed away because they are generically considered "white". This even extends to the census:

I was very tempted to write in "Irish/Polish" rather than checking the box for "white". Maybe next time around I will.

So the same as blacks and hispanics?

My daughter recently enrolled my grandson in school. The form was similar to the above. They only allow you to choose one category or another. She refused. She then wrote the school that her son has both 'white' and 'black' ancestry. That his father was born in Africa and his mother in America. That none of the categories accurately categorized him as they designed it. The school is revising the form.

Quote Reply
Re: How can we elect these idiots? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair point.
Quote Reply
Re: How can we elect these idiots? [Cavechild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cavechild wrote:
On a side note, I also don't get offended that there is an NBA basketball team in Boston that not only mispronounces my ethnicity, but has reduced its proud history of symbolism to an imaginary character. Or the College sports program that perpetuates the stereotype that we're a violent ethnicity that resorts to brawls.

You're stealing George Carlin's shtick
Quote Reply

Prev Next