Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Irony...my favorite kinda giggles
Quote | Reply
This one is pretty good.

Kenneth Star, the man who spent $40 million of our money trying to nail a guy to the mast for engaging in a consensual sexual act with an adult, is now out here in California pleading for the life of a death row inmate who raped and then murdered a 17 year old girl.

http://www.mercurynews.com/...s/local/13725159.htm

Weird.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Irony...my favorite kinda giggles [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay. First, that's not irony. Second, he wasn't trying to do anything to Clinton (we all know he did it to himself). He was appointed to investigate Whitewater.

Ah, kinda reminds me of the old "telephone" game. Nonetheless, dontcha just love revisionist history?

Main Entry: iro·ny
Pronunciation: 'I-r&-nE also 'I(-&)r-nE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -nies
Etymology: Latin ironia, from Greek eirOnia, from eirOn dissembler
1 : a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning -- called also Socratic irony
2 a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance
3 a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play -- called also dramatic irony, tragic irony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starr is a lawyer who has agreed to represent someone. Where is the irony?
Quote Reply
Re: Irony...my favorite kinda giggles [Startmeup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes he was appointed to investigate Whitewater and when he found nothing he decided to investigate a blowjob instead. $40 million later we had some spooge on a dress and not much else.

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Irony...my favorite kinda giggles [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a statement released by the American Civil Liberties Union, Starr said he agreed to represent Morales in his clemency case because the inmate has taken responsibility for the murder, expressed remorse and tried to atone for his crime while on death row. Starr also plans to argue in the petition that Morales' trial was tainted by an unreliable jailhouse informant.

Uh, I'm not seeing the irony.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Irony...my favorite kinda giggles [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll spell it out real simple like for the neocons.

Case 1.

In perhaps the most notorious witch hunt in US history Ken Starr spends 2 years pursuing a guy because of a CONSENSUAL SEX ACT BETWEEN 2 WILLING ADULTS.

fast forward

Case 2.

Ken Starr (presumably pro bono) is representing an admitted rapist and murderer of a 17 year old girl.

I dunno about you guys, but I find that just a little ironic.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it just highlights your own prejudices and ingnorance about the motivation and character of those you dissagree with politically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, again with the revisionism. You may wish to revisit what actually happened and who granted Starr the authority to expand the scope of his investigation.

Remember, the pres. was impeached for perjury and obstruction of justice by the House and tried by the Senate.

So far, you're 0-2. Care for a third strike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt, no one is getting you. I suggest you stand up, turn your back on everyone here, and stand in silence. Please.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Remember, the pres. was impeached for perjury and obstruction of justice by the House and tried by the Senate.

And what was the verdict of the impeachment trial??? You guys always seem to forget that part.

NOT GUILTY.

I think Ken Starr will be just as successful in this case.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Um no. House did impeach the pres. He was not found guilty by the Senate.

Oh yeah, he was found in contempt in Arkansas...

Of course, since Janet Reno initiated the investigation, we can blame her and not Starr, right? Of course.

And there were many convictions as a result of the i/v

Over the course of the investigation, fifteen individuals -- including Clinton friends James McDougaland Susan McDougal, White House counsel Webster Hubbel and Arkansas Governor Jim Guy Tucker -- were convicted of federal charges unrelated to Whitewater. Four of these were pardoned by Clinton in the final hours of his presidency

Starr was doing his job.

YOu're making this too easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overlooked is that the following president started a war under false pretense, leaked a CIA officers name, and broke the constitution, yet investigating / impeaching this President is something to which you are averse.

Now there is some irony.

iambigkahunatony.com
Quote Reply
Re: Irony...my favorite kinda giggles [wmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blowjobs are much worse.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bottom line is all is forgiven if you are a lib, but nothing goes uncriticised if you are not.

"A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame and money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." G.K. Chesterton
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
#1 (presumably pro bono)

#2 I dunno about you guys, but I find that just a little ironic.

#1 - why would you presume that?

#2 - nope, missing the irony.

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"House did impeach the pres. He was not found guilty by the Senate. "

That's how that works. The House doesn't find him innocent or guilty, they just draft, approve, and forward articles of impeachment to the Senate who does the actual convicting or acquitting.

In this case, it was basically a matter of the Whitewater investigation being conducted at the same time that Paula Jones sued the President. Linda Tripp provided information and tapes that were mostly involved in the Paula Jones suit to Starr, and then he asked to expand his investigation to include those charges as well. I'm sure many people have differing feelings about this case, but I also think it's pretty well established that Starr went above and beyond, and this deal has been one of the reasons for administrations being careful with the use of independent counsels for this type of thing since. It's just too easy for them to run amok with unlimited power and virtually no leash.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'll spell it out real simple like for the neocons.

So is a principal of a high school has sex with an 18 year old student in the principals office that would be ok?? They are both CONSENUAL adults??

case 1.

In perhaps the most notorious witch hunt in US history Ken Starr spends 2 years pursuing a guy because of a CONSENSUAL SEX ACT BETWEEN 2 WILLING ADULTS.
Quote Reply
Re: Irony...my favorite kinda giggles [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You just said two things. One, that Starr "asked to expand his investigation". True. Remember, he was granted the authority.

Two, since he had to "ask permission" it really wasn't up to him to determine scope and hence, couldn't be his going above and beyond unless he was granted those powers, and by whom?
Quote Reply
Re: Irony...my favorite kinda giggles [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are lots of instances where it is improper for consenting adults to have a sexual relationship. Tenured professor/student. Prison guard/inmate. Commanding Officer/subbordinate. Two cheerleaders in a bar bathroom....wait, there's already a thread for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This one is pretty good.

Kenneth Star, the man who spent $40 million of our money trying to nail a guy to the mast for engaging in a consensual sexual act with an adult, is now out here in California pleading for the life of a death row inmate who raped and then murdered a 17 year old girl.

http://www.mercurynews.com/...s/local/13725159.htm

Weird.

Now it turns out Starr and other defense lawyers sent fake letters (supposedly from the jurors) to the Scharzenegger asking for clemency - bizarre.

http://www.cnn.com/...cution.ap/index.html