Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

It's Prime Day, which Roomba?
Quote | Reply
Or other robot vacuum. One mostly non-shedding dog, 1600 square foot condo with all hardwood floors except carpet in 1 bedroom. 4 barstools sit at the kitchen island that it would need to navigate around.

Still a few hours left on Prime Day sales.

Thoughts?

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: It's Prime Day, which Roomba? [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the time it takes to prep the Roomba (moving chairs, blocking off areas, cleaning the filter, etc.), I can do a better job (at least on hard floors) with this.

...and, that assumes that the Roomba doesn't get lost or stuck, lose it charge, or have other problems.

Then, consider what a Roomba will do with a dog "accident". :-O

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This maybe one of the most epic post fails on S.T. -- Did you waste your money, ehm I mean did you buy a Roomba?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: It's Prime Day, which Roomba? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, among other things in doing my research one of the ones I narrowed it down to is cheaper on Walmart.com

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Check out the Neato Botvacs. My research led me to one of those over the Roomba. Much better system for navigation than the Roomba setup. We have barstools, chairs, tables, couches, etc. that we leave out and it navigates it all just fine. Only time it gets stuck is once in awhile under the couch, it can squeeze itself under there but can't manage to back out. The "no-go" strips do a decent job of keeping it out of there.

Got mine on ebay for $300 less than retail, brand new in box.
Quote Reply
Re: It's Prime Day, which Roomba? [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have owned both a Roomba (6000 series) and a Neato (D5 series). The Roomba is the better machine IMHO for a household with carpets, pets, and an active family. The Neato would probably work best on hard floors or short carpet, in a household where everything has its place and stays there.

With the Roomba, every day it would just run and clean, almost never having to be rescued or finding that it had just given up and stopped. It does not use LIDAR to navigate like the Neato, instead relying on randomness and spending enough time vacuuming to get the job done. As a result, you always wonder if it did, in fact, vacuum every square foot of the house. However, rarely did I come home to find the Roomba missing or the dirt bin empty. I think if the cat had stayed on the floor long enough, the Roomba would have sucked him up and kept right on going. I ran this machine until the tread on the wheels wore out.

The Neato overly relies on LIDAR and its internally-stored floor layouts. The LIDAR allows the machine to run back and forth like a person would vacuum, so I am always confident that it has covered the entire room/space. That is, so long as the LIDAR recognizes where it is on its internal map. I have watched Neato run into my sleeping dog (he's too old to care about the vacuum anymore) and because the obstruction does not match the internal map, Neato simply gave up on vacuuming and instead sent out its electronic "Help" message, rather than work its way around the obstruction using its bumper sensors. Move a piece of furniture or put a large box/object on the floor and you are rolling the dice on whether Neato will work. Neato does not like carpet with medium or longer threads. Such carpet interferes with the side-brush, which causes the rubber pulley to spin on the motor. This causes the pulley to stretch and the brush to stop moving. Replacing the pulley is a cast-iron biotch that requires disassembling the machine. Also, Neato struggles to simply move across the carpet, causing it to consume more battery power, which reduces the amount of time it can run before having to recharge. Finally, if Neato encounters a problem, it tends to quickly surrender and call for help, rather than work its way around any issues or obstacles. As a result, often the room/house only gets partially vacuumed until I get home to fix whatever issue Neato encountered.

Summary: Neato is the expensive girlfriend who operates best when everything is perfect, but throws a fit when something unusual or unanticipated happens. Neato refuses to problem-solve, instead yelling "HELP" and shutting down until the cavalry arrives. Roomba is like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going; usually in random and unexplained directions, but it never stops and nothing stands in its way. It may not get to the destination in the most efficient or logical manner, but it never quits trying and usually gets the job done without yelling for help.
Quote Reply
Re: It's Prime Day, which Roomba? [Kentcart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentcart wrote:
I have owned both a Roomba (6000 series) and a Neato (D5 series). The Roomba is the better machine IMHO for a household with carpets, pets, and an active family. The Neato would probably work best on hard floors or short carpet, in a household where everything has its place and stays there.

With the Roomba, every day it would just run and clean, almost never having to be rescued or finding that it had just given up and stopped. It does not use LIDAR to navigate like the Neato, instead relying on randomness and spending enough time vacuuming to get the job done. As a result, you always wonder if it did, in fact, vacuum every square foot of the house. However, rarely did I come home to find the Roomba missing or the dirt bin empty. I think if the cat had stayed on the floor long enough, the Roomba would have sucked him up and kept right on going. I ran this machine until the tread on the wheels wore out.

The Neato overly relies on LIDAR and its internally-stored floor layouts. The LIDAR allows the machine to run back and forth like a person would vacuum, so I am always confident that it has covered the entire room/space. That is, so long as the LIDAR recognizes where it is on its internal map. I have watched Neato run into my sleeping dog (he's too old to care about the vacuum anymore) and because the obstruction does not match the internal map, Neato simply gave up on vacuuming and instead sent out its electronic "Help" message, rather than work its way around the obstruction using its bumper sensors. Move a piece of furniture or put a large box/object on the floor and you are rolling the dice on whether Neato will work. Neato does not like carpet with medium or longer threads. Such carpet interferes with the side-brush, which causes the rubber pulley to spin on the motor. This causes the pulley to stretch and the brush to stop moving. Replacing the pulley is a cast-iron biotch that requires disassembling the machine. Also, Neato struggles to simply move across the carpet, causing it to consume more battery power, which reduces the amount of time it can run before having to recharge. Finally, if Neato encounters a problem, it tends to quickly surrender and call for help, rather than work its way around any issues or obstacles. As a result, often the room/house only gets partially vacuumed until I get home to fix whatever issue Neato encountered.

Summary: Neato is the expensive girlfriend who operates best when everything is perfect, but throws a fit when something unusual or unanticipated happens. Neato refuses to problem-solve, instead yelling "HELP" and shutting down until the cavalry arrives. Roomba is like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going; usually in random and unexplained directions, but it never stops and nothing stands in its way. It may not get to the destination in the most efficient or logical manner, but it never quits trying and usually gets the job done without yelling for help.

Well there ya go. Thanks for that.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: It's Prime Day, which Roomba? [Kentcart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a great review!

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply