Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can I buy p5disc or p5x aero bar system only?
Quote | Reply
Looking for a "monopost" aero bar system and I really like the new one on the p5 disc and p5x.

Is there a way to purchase just this bar from somewhere?

Thanks for the help
Quote Reply
Re: Can I buy p5disc or p5x aero bar system only? [zilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your best bet for a mono bar is the Tririg Alpha One.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the original bar that came with the p5disc. Not the one on the p3x if you are interested

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11645943 https://www.instagram.com/timeforicecream/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been looking to buy the bar system from the PX models for my P2 as well, no dice.... The tri rig alpha one looks like the closest after market solution you can get

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Can I buy p5disc or p5x aero bar system only? [DylanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DylanD wrote:
I have the original bar that came with the p5disc. Not the one on the p3x if you are interested

Sent you a message.

Thanks everyone for their responses. I know about the tri-rig bar and I think its a good product, but I personally don't like a few things on it
Last edited by: zilla: Jul 17, 19 14:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zilla wrote:
I know about the tri-rig bar and I think its a good product, but I personally don't like a few things on it

May we ask what you don’t like about Alpha One?

--
TriRig.com
Last edited by: TriRig: Jul 17, 19 17:36
Quote Reply
Re: Can I buy p5disc or p5x aero bar system only? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
zilla wrote:
I know about the tri-rig bar and I think its a good product, but I personally don't like a few things on it

May we ask what you don’t like about Alpha One?

I don't want any negativity to come towards you or your bar. It's a great bar that I've actually recommended to several friends before.

The only personal thing I don't like about it (and again this is just me being picky) is the "Dragonfly" piece.

The two things I don't like about it:
1) What if I want to use a torhan type bottle or in my case, 3D print a bottle to make it like the canyon's new monobar/aerobottle system? I have to wrap the bottle all the way around the front of the dragonfly or I'm forced to stop it at that height.

2) What if I don't want to use a BTA bottle but I want to tilt the bars up at a relatively large angle? I'm forced to still have the mount at the angle because its what holds the extensions. So I'm forced to angle up that entire bracket length as well causing additional frontal area that doesn't have a purpose.

Lastly, I bought a bike that was too small for me so my reach is limited. I understand it takes away from the integration of the bar, but I wish I could add additional reach other than just depending on longer arm pads to give me reach. This however seems to be the norm in all these high end bars looking through them though.

Respectfully,
Chuck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much for being considerate in your criticism. We respect every customer's preferences and individual goals, but might I offer some counterpoints to your qualms above:

It's true that Torhans-style bottles aren't ideal on Alpha One. But there are excellent cage-style bottles that work very well (XLAB Torpedo, Profile HC Bottle, Speedfil A2, Vision DS1, etc). If your arms are too narrow for a full bottle, you can always do the old Chris Lieto trick and put an aero bottle in that same spot (Bontrager aero bottle in his case). Poke a straw in it and it works basically the same.

The aero penalty for the Dragonfly itself is going to be virtually nil at any tilt setting. How else do you want to tilt your arms up adjustably? A two-riser system has more frontal area (see Alpha X). And if you are really solidly against using the Dragonfly's tilt for whatever reason, you can just do the old "reverse J-bend" extension hack. Actually USE makes them this way now called "Hi Rise" extensions, to raise the shifters without tilting anything else. And you could always add wedges from Sync Ergonomics, Revolver, or Wattshop, to tilt the cups up as well. Seems like a lot of extra work for something Alpha One does natively, but that would allow you to tilt without seeing that Dragonfly tilted upwards :-)

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Can I buy p5disc or p5x aero bar system only? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
Thanks very much for being considerate in your criticism. We respect every customer's preferences and individual goals, but might I offer some counterpoints to your qualms above:

It's true that Torhans-style bottles aren't ideal on Alpha One. But there are excellent cage-style bottles that work very well (XLAB Torpedo, Profile HC Bottle, Speedfil A2, Vision DS1, etc). If your arms are too narrow for a full bottle, you can always do the old Chris Lieto trick and put an aero bottle in that same spot (Bontrager aero bottle in his case). Poke a straw in it and it works basically the same.

The aero penalty for the Dragonfly itself is going to be virtually nil at any tilt setting. How else do you want to tilt your arms up adjustably? A two-riser system has more frontal area (see Alpha X). And if you are really solidly against using the Dragonfly's tilt for whatever reason, you can just do the old "reverse J-bend" extension hack. Actually USE makes them this way now called "Hi Rise" extensions, to raise the shifters without tilting anything else. And you could always add wedges from Sync Ergonomics, Revolver, or Wattshop, to tilt the cups up as well. Seems like a lot of extra work for something Alpha One does natively, but that would allow you to tilt without seeing that Dragonfly tilted upwards :-)

Thanks for the response and I agree with you and have considered most of these options and continue to consider these options as I weigh it versus these other cervelo bars. Not to mention your price point has always been so respectable.

However, to answer you question on how else do you mount it to a monopost:
What if you made the dragonfly interchangeable with a piece that wasn't 6-8 inches long (sorry I don't know exactly how long it is - just guessing based on images), but instead just the length needed to bolt the arm cups in and to clamp the bars (maybe 2-3inches?). Call it a non BTA mount or something?

This seems to be how the p5x / p5 disc bar is configured so that's why I asked if that is purchasable by itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of other ways to design the Dragonfly, but the way it is now is for very specific reasons. If you bring the extension clamps back at all, you lose the bottom 30mm or so of stack adjustment because they would hit the base bar and prevent a slammed setup. Again, there isn't a drag drawback to its current design, so there doesn't seem to be a reason to limit stack.

Anyway, I feel like I'm hijacking a thread about a different bike, so please feel free to continue the conversation in the Alpha One thread if you have more to discuss, or shoot us an email if you need any help - support@tririg.com

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply