Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

any other readers having increasing trouble with long-form and books?
Quote | Reply
I've noticed this over the past couple months. Hope it's not early senility but . . .

i'm finding it harder and harder to pick up books and read them. I've got plenty, and they're interesting, but . . .

I think the internet is warping my brain. I'm so used to getting buttons pushed (for good and bad, mostly bad) by FB etc that even stuff I'm in agreement with I'm not interested in any more.

i think i know what the answer is . . .
Quote Reply
Re: any other readers having increasing trouble with long-form and books? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m with you. The research on the development of the brains of kids in this environment of high tech, immediacy, quick read/short video, etc., world seems clear. I think us older folks are suffering as well.

My daughter (almost 16 yo) and I have to put our phones in a drawer across the room just to watch a movie, to try to train our brains to focus and to remind us that in two hours we won’t miss anything important in this cell phone wasteland.
Quote Reply
Re: any other readers having increasing trouble with long-form and books? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No but then other than this place my social media is zero. I read two to four books a week plus a lot for work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. I’m on book number 22 for the year. I read for pleasure most days.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do, but it's not from too much social media crap. When I travel I can read no problem, but at home there's too much else distracting me, or as soon as I have time to read I fall asleep a few pages in. I've got three books I'm partly through currently.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no, I still love reading and do it daily.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still read a lot, between 50-75 books a year, most of which are not quick reads & require contemplation (I'm an idiot who reads philosophy & progressive theology for fun.). The last couolemof years I have noticed it takes me longer to work through certain texts, so I've been slipping in novels & poetry to give a mental break. The shiny object syndrome of the internet probably doesn't help matters.
Quote Reply
Re: any other readers having increasing trouble with long-form and books? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh hell no. My wife reads on a tablet, but me, I like to hold paper and turn pages. Always have. Ebooks are nice on vacation, but I still drag a couple paperbacks and abandon them when finished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this problem at times. Just finished 10 days off the grid (cabin in the San Juan Islands with limited Internet) and was able to get through books without any trouble. When I am home it is more of a struggle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Audiobooks have made reading much less common. Also been spending a lot of time over the last year or so watching courses on Coursera and the Great Courses or talks on YouTube.
Quote Reply