Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PSA- Strava/Relive update!
Quote | Reply

My YouTube channel- https://www.youtube.com/ksquaredcycling
Time RXR Super Record | Cipollini Bond Campgnolo EPS | Specialized Shiv TT SWorks Super Record | Colnago C59 SR-EPS | Colnago EPS Super Record | Colnago Prestige Ui2
Quote Reply
Re: PSA- Strava/Relive update! [EmoryDPTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can you summarize this in writing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's Strava not Strova.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA- Strava/Relive update! [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Relive ran afoul of some Strava policy and got kicked off Strava platform... doesn't look like they will be allowed back in. At the meantime, Relive will live on with Garmin Connect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More update from DCR: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...XuI_RHu6lPocZk1ovxdE

It's quite interesting... for those of us in the tech/IP industry, we run into this everyday - the selective enforcement of contract/agreement terms. The crux of the issue here is really that Strava feels they need to wall off their features from others to protect their business. In my personal experience, in this day and age, that strategy normally backfires; rather the open integration is the path to more success.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA- Strava/Relive update! [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up.
There are usually more behind the scenes then what is public knowledge. In this day and age, I imagine privacy of information is all mainstream application priority. Which had me questioning the public announcement Strava made.
And as you stated prior, there is still integration thru Garmin connect fortunately.

Time RXR Super Record | Cipollini Bond Campgnolo EPS | Specialized Shiv TT SWorks Super Record | Colnago C59 SR-EPS | Colnago EPS Super Record | Colnago Prestige Ui2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
More update from DCR: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...XuI_RHu6lPocZk1ovxdE

It's quite interesting... for those of us in the tech/IP industry, we run into this everyday - the selective enforcement of contract/agreement terms. The crux of the issue here is really that Strava feels they need to wall off their features from others to protect their business. In my personal experience, in this day and age, that strategy normally backfires; rather the open integration is the path to more success.

If DCR's take is accurate it certainly sounds like some anti-competitive BS on Strava's part. I agree. If Strava starts walling off their features, people will start abandoning them. I already mainly use Strava as I have lots of friends that do. I don't do their segments or anything like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are exactly right! Why would Strava invite the open discussion on the ownership of personal data, as called out by DCR, through this little spat with Relive is beyond me. Maybe they think the European data ownership regulations won't ever happen in the US so they are impervious to scrutiny here. But I don't know, it doesn't seem smart to pick this fight on their part. Perhaps there are still more to the story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the big appeals to Strava is the segments and KOMs, but that has been discussed.
The other is the seamless integration with Relive. It seems like they are on a roll of alienating themselves from the industry.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe they plan on releasing similar functionality and this was the perfect pretext to get rid of Relive. Still doubtful given they haven't implemented any significantly new features since forever.

EmoryDPTT wrote:
One of the big appeals to Strava is the segments and KOMs, but that has been discussed.
The other is the seamless integration with Relive. It seems like they are on a roll of alienating themselves from the industry.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Working on an F round and still not profitable. Job listings out the wazoo, can't keep talent, have been searching for a new CTO for months and even opened it up publicly.

Case study in how not to run a company. They've screwed the pooch at almost every turn. I can only imagine it's not dead or sold off cuz someone on sand hill road loves them or there's some serious sunk cost fallacy going on.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: PSA- Strava/Relive update! [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
Working on an F round and still not profitable. Job listings out the wazoo, can't keep talent, have been searching for a new CTO for months and even opened it up publicly.

Case study in how not to run a company. They've screwed the pooch at almost every turn. I can only imagine it's not dead or sold off cuz someone on sand hill road loves them or there's some serious sunk cost fallacy going on.

(1) There are a lot of cyclists on Sand Hill.
(2) They have a substantial userbase.
(3) Personally, it's one of the few websites I couldn't readily substitute with another one (then again, I have been paying for Premium/Summit since 2013).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you tell me what Relive does or what it's for?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA- Strava/Relive update! [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
(1) There are a lot of cyclists on Sand Hill.
(2) They have a substantial userbase.
(3) Personally, it's one of the few websites I couldn't readily substitute with another one (then again, I have been paying for Premium/Summit since 2013).

My perplexion comes from the fact that there's an endless list of broken features all over the site, the UI between mobile and desktop is off, the text box for comments is a fucking disaster, shit breaks all the time, new features aren't happening,... what are you doing every day??? It's a ship adrift at sea with no motor, rudder, or sails.

While I'm no fan of the executive team at Peaksware, they could easily grab this market.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Quote Reply
Re: PSA- Strava/Relive update! [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it makes a tour de france graphic style yellow line video that shows your route.

when you ride in the flat it's rather unremarkable, but for a very long, mountainous ride it can be fun to watch all the squiggles and climbs and descents happen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
Can you tell me what Relive does or what it's for?

Takes your ride data file, and overlays the trace, along with some data points, on a "3-D" satellite image, and presents it in a video format. Easier to show than explain.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1672926739

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much have they raised so far?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA- Strava/Relive update! [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that was made for the rides I do out here. Too bad it's not available anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never mind, I found it. Looks like they raised about $41.9m total till E round since 2010. CEO came on board a couple of years ago from Facebook/Instagram. That's a lot of money for not doing much. Kind of interesting to read some old interviews where they see themselves as potential acquirer of Zwift which subsequently raised $120m on a B round.

Not sure where Strava is headed, but given the CEO's background, I am not too surprised they made this move with Relive. Ad-supported free version coming soon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
Wow, that was made for the rides I do out here. Too bad it's not available anymore.

It's still available, you just have to route your ride data from a source other than Strava. Not really a biggy, although I now have to post photos twice if I want them on Strava and Relive.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$55m

ETA: 41.9 thru D.... 13.7 for E

Last edited by: MarkyV: Jul 12, 19 12:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also read that they have 150 people. 150!

What have they been doing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think new CEO landed in May 2017 and at the time the direction that was announced was that they would be moving away from analytics and towards increasing social. Um.... haven't seen anything change since then.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
E X A C T L Y

🤦‍♂️

Quote Reply