Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scicon soft TSA case VS cardboard bike box for Bike Flights shipping to race?
Quote | Reply
Flying to 70.3 boulder in a few weeks. United will charge me $200 each way to take my bike. Likely using Bike Flights for the convenience. Shop in Boulder (who will receive and ship my bike) said they “prefer” to use bike boxes vs a soft airline case. I have access to a soft Scicon flight case. Flying with bike and disc/90 wheelset. Would box be ok? Seems silly not to use a more protective case if possible. Especially for the disc. I checked with Bike Flights and I can use a soft airline case.
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon soft TSA case VS cardboard bike box for Bike Flights shipping to race? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're shipping it, then use the box. Packages can be handled pretty roughly and you want as much protection as possible.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon soft TSA case VS cardboard bike box for Bike Flights shipping to race? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the box. My wife and I have Scicon cases for air travel, but if I was shipping (which I will be doing somewhat soon) I'd use a box. FedEx/UPS seem much more optimized for boxes vs airlines that deal with soft bags all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen multiple cases of the handlebars being broken with the Scicon bags every year over the years where you don't remove the handlebars. If you do ever use a Scicon bag like that I would cable tie a piece of broomstick or the like slightly wider than your bars across them to take the impact as baggage handlers drop your bag down with handlebars not removed they tend to break it seems. I would never own a Scicon bag for that reason so I would use a box.
Quote Reply