Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need High RX Cycling Sunglasses Recommendations
Quote | Reply
Looks like I need to reduce my contacts lens wear time and may have periods in/out of them. Racing will be in contacts, Looking for suggestions for high RX sunglasses for training.

High RX (-10) so may need to go the insert route.

Fit wise, medium size head, Oakley radar path my primary current cycling/running glasses

recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Need High RX Cycling Sunglasses Recommendations [gbtrinride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Need High RX Cycling Sunglasses Recommendations [gbtrinride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The folks at SportsRX know their stuff. I'd suggesting dropping them an email with your prescription and getting their suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: Need High RX Cycling Sunglasses Recommendations [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sward wrote:
Try http://www.bolle.com

Only +6 to -8, so not an option for the OP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe some of the oakleys that blur between sport and everyday wear? Like I have a pair of Oakley Milestone glasses (they’re small, so probably not for you) that I put transitions in and wore daily to the office, etc. Now they’ve been demoted to run/bike, but I like them for that purpose.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oakley is probably off the table, except for traditional frames. I got ~4 Oakley's recently, and I was on the fringe. Another guy I know with a much stronger prescription than me used to have Oakleys, but they told him they were backing away from higher prescriptions to keep the lenses thinner and within Oakley's standards.

Unless you really want the wrap look, I would check out more traditional frames. And maybe experiment with one of the online deep discounters. I also recently got a pair of these with cool reflective lenses from Zenni Optical for like $80, and they are freakin' awesome. I use them for running, and they would be excellent on the bike too, if I did not have the Oakleys. They have a reasonably high RI, so the lenses are reasonably thin.

https://www.zennioptical.com/.../11170?skuId=1117021
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talk to Andrew at http://www.sportsoptical.com/

They can make u a pair without inserts. I’m a -6 and had a pair made for cycling and they were so good I had them make a pair for tennis!

Rex
Quote Reply
Re: Need High RX Cycling Sunglasses Recommendations [ironmanrex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the recommendations/feedback. Unfortunately there's a huge difference in the -4/-6 range and my -10 ! The sports frames at SportsOptical website for example top out at --5/-6, with one at -7. (I will drop SportsOptical an email to see if they can do something more highly custom) RX wraps are definitely out due to thickness and likely edge distortion issues

I did get some feedback from Sportsrx via online chat before I posted. They recommended either the inserts (couple different Rudy models), and did say some sporty regular styles might work. I was leaning towards the Rudy's but won't have a chance to try them on, and hopefully it will be less frequent use. So now I'll take a closer look at the regular frames as they will be a bit more versatile.

I'll check out the Oakley Milestones, maybe the Crosslink Switches.

I have small frames for my regular (less used) glasses due to face shape & lens thickness with bigger frames. I rode with them the other day out of necessity w/ sunglasses perched over. Wasn't bad, but have to be much more careful looking back for traffic, etc as I basically have no peripheral distance vision
Last edited by: gbtrinride: Jul 5, 19 13:21
Quote Reply