Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing Boulder 70.3 next month...any tips/insight?!
Quote | Reply
I'll be racing my first 70.3 next month in Boulder! Would appreciate any general insight on the course, race day logistics, things to consider, etc. I'll be flying in from NJ and transporting my bike. Any tips on managing that would be helpful, as well.
I know this request is vague, but any help or even just general comments based on prior experience would be great!
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Boulder 70.3 next month...any tips/insight?! [runnerak47] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. I am especially looking for some intel on the run course. Where are the hills I should be worried about and how big of a factor is the gravel on the road surface? I think the swim and the bike will be good but I have heard the run is really the more challenging part of this course.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Boulder 70.3 next month...any tips/insight?! [runnerak47] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tip #1: Drink a lot. It's so dry in Boulder and surrounding areas + altitude.

Tip #2: It's really kind of a flat course with a few short (less than a 1/2 mile) climbs. Gearing should be fine with a standard 53/39 and 11-23 or 11-25 (that's what I use). I'm not a particularly strong cyclist in my opinion either, just mediocre.

Tip #3: If you don't have housing, consider Longmont. It is an 11 min. drive to the Rez road from hotels at the south edge of Longmont. Save yourself some $$ by not staying in Boulder.

Tip #4: Most of the run is gravel. So if you're planning on Nike 4%, consider something with some lugging or grip on it. I found the 4% to be slower on this course than my Speed Rival 6 shoes.

Tip #5: It's going to be hot. No way around it. Prepare. I do & I'm still not prepared because I hate heat.

Tip #6: Chill on the swim. Swimming at altitude is harder than the other two sports--you'll notice it quickly if you dart into the swim & be cooked by the time the half way point at the run comes.

Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a post I made recently on a similar thread that includes my training peaks file.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6965335#p6965335

The only addition I would make to that is there is a short but steep hill on the run at about mile 2 and 8.6. I advise taking that as easy as possible.

Also, know that when you are feeling that the run is way harder than you thought and things are not going well, everyone else is experiencing the same thing. Keep at it, you're doing better than you think.

Edit after reading the advice above: the climb up niwot/Neva is 7.8 miles and the climb up St. Vrain is 5 miles. But most of each are very shallow, but they each get steep at the end. I use a 50/34 and 11/28 and I'm a relatively strong cyclist, finishing this course in 2:17 and still running well.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Jul 1, 19 18:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will feel hotter than the temp says and you’ll burn faster. The sun here is brutal. It can be 75 out but the sun will make it feel 95, and if you don’t hydrate you won’t notice until it’s too late because you won’t notice you’re sweating due to the low humidity.

I used to live in the Midwest with crazy humidity. It’s completely different here.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Boulder 70.3 next month...any tips/insight?! [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The run is super flat by Colorado standards. A couple little kickers but nothing bad at all. The gravel/rocks are a little loose but fine as long as you pay attention where you are going. It's really only hard since it is on an exposed reservoir and there is truly no shade anywhere. I'll be loading up on ice and dowsing myself with water whenever possible to stay cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Boulder 70.3 next month...any tips/insight?! [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Here is a post I made recently on a similar thread that includes my training peaks file.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6965335#p6965335

The only addition I would make to that is there is a short but steep hill on the run at about mile 2 and 8.6. I advise taking that as easy as possible.

Also, know that when you are feeling that the run is way harder than you thought and things are not going well, everyone else is experiencing the same thing. Keep at it, you're doing better than you think.

Edit after reading the advice above: the climb up niwot/Neva is 7.8 miles and the climb up St. Vrain is 5 miles. But most of each are very shallow, but they each get steep at the end. I use a 50/34 and 11/28 and I'm a relatively strong cyclist, finishing this course in 2:17 and still running well.

I guess it’s all relative. Really depends on perspective of “hill” (I’ll call that a 1-2% flat Niwot section). I’m of course defining as such using what is west of Hwy 36 as a barometer. St. Vrain is kinda a bugger grade that jacks your momentum a bit more...so I’ll agree with you a bit more just on that section.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Boulder 70.3 next month...any tips/insight?! [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is really helpful! Thanks! How did the altitude affect your performance and the way you felt during the swim? I'm guessing it'll be more difficult to breathe.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Boulder 70.3 next month...any tips/insight?! [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the 411.

Disc or no disc?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Boulder 70.3 next month...any tips/insight?! [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
disc

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m flying in from Arkansas for the race. Really excited about it. I’m using Bike Flights instead of the airline (flying United). I called Full Cycles on Pearl Street and I’m gonna have them receive the bike from Bike Flights early in the week and get it dialed to pickup when I get there. After the race I’ll take the bike back to them and they’re gonna pack it and ship the following week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The traffic can really back up getting into the res in the morning- leave plenty of time. I’ve seen people unloading bikes stuck in traffic and riding in because they are worried about time. It’s not a big deal if you plan for it. The parking is on a field and it just backs up getting everyone parked.

Bring a cooler of drinks/ snacks. There’s not much out there and it’s all torn up right now for construction- not sure when it will be done.

ETA swimming can feel a little like you are sucking air through a straw. Make sure you are clearing out all of your old air before you try and breathe in. It helps a little.
Last edited by: Moonrocket: Jul 2, 19 13:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runnerak47 wrote:
This is really helpful! Thanks! How did the altitude affect your performance and the way you felt during the swim? I'm guessing it'll be more difficult to breathe.

Moving to altitude was a butt kicking. A few laps in the pool buried me quickly. As for affecting my performance, I learned to gauge my effort easier than sea level quickly. Instead, I made up for a lesser *frantic* effort and focused on my crappy swim technique (I'm an AOS in Dan's words). You just have to focus on swimming straight, minimize the in water conflict with others and try to keep it aerobic feeling. Upper end at that--just throttle it back some, and definitely maybe get to a pool in Boulder before hand so you know what it feels like. Yeah, it is more difficult to breath as your face is already in the water but you come up for air & there isn't a lot of what you're used to from sea level O2 levels to begin with. Good luck!
Last edited by: Rocky M: Jul 2, 19 15:23
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Boulder 70.3 next month...any tips/insight?! [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
The traffic can really back up getting into the res in the morning- leave plenty of time. I’ve seen people unloading bikes stuck in traffic and riding in because they are worried about time. It’s not a big deal if you plan for it. The parking is on a field and it just backs up getting everyone parked.

Bring a cooler of drinks/ snacks. There’s not much out there and it’s all torn up right now for construction- not sure when it will be done.

ETA swimming can feel a little like you are sucking air through a straw. Make sure you are clearing out all of your old air before you try and breathe in. It helps a little.

Could you expand on this some more? I am racing tri-boulder Oly in a couple of weeks and wonder what roads are under construction as they use a good portion of the same course as the 70.3 just not going as far up north.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Boulder 70.3 next month...any tips/insight?! [TAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The building on the beach that had the locker rooms, snack shack and covered sitting area has been torn down and they are building a new one. The roads are all fine, at least as of a couple weeks ago.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
The building on the beach that had the locker rooms, snack shack and covered sitting area has been torn down and they are building a new one. The roads are all fine, at least as of a couple weeks ago.

Oh I see. Thanks for the report. The covered deck was kind of nice for spectators to watch the swim and hang out during the bike portion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted an overview on the full a few weeks ago. Have some athletes racing the half as well, so I'll be following up since the course for the half has some slight differences.

https://setthepacetriathlon.com/...ce-course-tips-2019/

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Yes- roads are all good from the north at least. Dropped my daughter off for camp this morning. There are no res concessions this summer though as the snack shack/ bathrooms are being torn down. Should be awfully nice when they are done though based on the drawings!

https://bouldercolorado.gov/...itor-services-center

Sorry for any confusion.
Last edited by: Moonrocket: Jul 2, 19 14:47
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Boulder 70.3 next month...any tips/insight?! [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JFC. What do we need that for?!? That's the last time I vote for a tax increase.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m guessing it can pay for itself pretty quick. Looks like they are going after the event business based on the description. Which pays well. Google company picnic? Sounds like it could be a year round venue too. Would be a pretty cool place for a catered gathering - views are amazing.

We used to have company picnics there decades ago, but the facilities have gotten really old. The bathrooms are always shut down because something is broken. It’s not just a triathlon facility for a dozen weekends a year. It gets used by a lot of other groups and has the potential for more.
Quote Reply