Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On HED Belgiums my 25 Pro 1s were 28/29. The 25 GP5ks on the same rim were 25.5.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Merlincycles.com has them for $62.

$58 at sigmasports.com, who also give free espressos in their shops and are an all-round well run business (I hope they make money, too).
Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Pro One's are lighter weight and have less robust sidewalls (by inspection - not sure what effect if any this has on puncture resistance). I've run and tested both and both are good tires, but I don't have thousands of miles of experience with either. I would never in a million years use Pro One's because they are very tight to mount on some rims, and seem to have a large bead which can make them near impossible to change in the field (again, on some rims). I once actually cut one off a rim with a carpet knife because I couldn't get the bead to release, at home in my garage with lots of tools at my disposal. It was cold that day and I think that made things worse, but still.
Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
The Pro One's are lighter weight and have less robust sidewalls (by inspection - not sure what effect if any this has on puncture resistance). I've run and tested both and both are good tires, but I don't have thousands of miles of experience with either. I would never in a million years use Pro One's because they are very tight to mount on some rims, and seem to have a large bead which can make them near impossible to change in the field (again, on some rims). I once actually cut one off a rim with a carpet knife because I couldn't get the bead to release, at home in my garage with lots of tools at my disposal. It was cold that day and I think that made things worse, but still.

My last puncture on the Pro Ones was a sidewall cut (it sealed with Orange Seal) and has been holding fine since. I am crossing my fingers the 5000TL's are as easy to mount as my Pro Ones.....if not, I'll return them and just stick with the Pro Ones. On the Reynolds Aero rims - the Pro Ones will mount by hand (no levers needed) and remove easily with a single plastic lever so. I had a 2 sets of DT PRC wheels and they were much more difficult to mount (so I got rid of the wheels in favor of the Reynolds).
Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a listen around 50min for the plug on Shwalbe One from Jean-Paul Ballard from Swiss Side...John Paul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=lmqdqcOvrlc&app=desktop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 5000TL on my front CLX64, set up was easy. But it (5000TL) won't go onto my 321 (rim brake) disc, tyre dia smaller/tight, wheel rim tall. BTW I am a bike mechanic and have fitted 1000's of tyres so its not a technique thing :-)

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another point of data I have almost 2 years and over 4600 miles on my Pro 1s with only one flat that didn't seal. That was a front flat from when I rode off the road into a culvert and my only exit was the ~6" right angle end of a curb and my hands were not placed well enough to allow me to hop onto it (I was eating when I rode off the road). To say I hit that curb hard is an understatement and I ended up with a small leak that seemed not to want to seal on the road. I put in a tube rode home cleaned the tire add new sealant and it's been good ever since.

The Conti is intriguing, but I've had such a damn good experience with the Pro 1 I don't think I will be switching. That and the Pro 1s are available at such a great discount. FWIW, I don't ride in the rain that much anymore, but I have been caught out plenty over the last couple of years and I don't feel like the tire lacks any in the wet weather traction department. But, maybe I'm just not that aggressive in the twisties. ;)

Also, someone I know who flats all the damn time has a full stock of Conti 5K TLs now and I'm curious to see how he gets on. So, who knows, maybe I'll switch too.

Full disclosure: most of the roads I ride have some seriously nice pavement.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think the 5000TL is the "Pro One killer" and now the best "train/any race other than a TT" tubeless tire.

What is your TL TT tire, VCS?
Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schwalbe’s PO TL are terrible. Never had a puncture seal and after every ride there would be spots where sealant was leaking through with small cuts over the tires. I have about 300mi on the GP5k TL and the tires look new no cuts no sealant wet spots on the tires.
Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [SiRcivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SiRcivic27 wrote:
Schwalbe’s PO TL are terrible. Never had a puncture seal and after every ride there would be spots where sealant was leaking through with small cuts over the tires.

Technically I think that means you did have punctures seal. If sealant is leaking through, air would have much more quickly.

The tread is thin on the Pro Ones. Definitely more of a racing tire. But I had something like a 90% seal rate when I was using them. I'm just now trying out the GP5K TLs. They seem pretty promising so far. After that I'd put the Hutchinson Fusion 5 family a bit above the Schwalbe. But I wouldn't call the Pro Ones "terrible."
Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes the Corsa Speed seems to be fastest rolling tire and it seems that folks like Aerocoach are building their wheels around it to optimize both Crr and CdA, but unless someone tells me the 5000TL is a total dog in CdA, I think there’s a reasonable argument to be made that if you’re risk averse and don’t want to risk a flat (something that in my experience is not at all unlikely with the Corsa Speed), then maybe the 5000TL is the best choice even for a TT.

Of course, the best would be to test with your wheel on your bike so you can tease out how CdA and Crr shake out for you on your bike, but absent that it would seem these two tires would be the best place to start when choosing a tubeless TT tire.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply

Prev Next