Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Rides and Climbs in CA? [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:
TriSpencer wrote:
All along the Santa Monica Mountains in the LA area are great too.

I will be in Santa Monica next month, looking to rent a bike and get a 2 hour +/- ride in. Any favorite routes you could suggest. I'm staying somewhat near the pier.

I was there a couple months back. Rode the PCH up to Neptune’s Nest and had some lunch and rode back. Next day, rode to Beverly Hills and found a rodeo drive. Sat on a couple chairs and watched $100,000 + cars drive by for an hour and then rode home.

The darn lambo suv was everywhere.

Good times.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rides and Climbs in CA? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Rumpled wrote:
How about a 7000 ft climb?
Can't find it using my phone, but Highway 39 from Azusa up to Crystal Lake, continue through the closed to cars section to Highway 2, turn right up to the saddle who's name I forget

Here's the one I was talking about. Claims to be most elevation climb in continental US.
33 mile; avg 4%, 7152 ft of climbing.
https://www.strava.com/segments/1638547

yep, this is a great way to spend a whole day climbing. Keep in mind that there are some uphills on the way back. I did this last year and was around 9.5k total elevation gain over 70 miles. Best part is since the road is closed most way up on highway 39, there is not too much traffic. a few motos and some fast cars but pretty tame. and occasionally some crazy downhill skateboarders.

Love all the SM mountains climbs that Chris M noted. you can string together a bunch of them in one morning and still ride along the coast to get some nice ocean breezes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next