Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ozone to deodorise
Quote | Reply
Does it work? Anyone used a ozone producing device to remove odours. Has the odour come back?
Quote Reply
Re: Ozone to deodorise [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it works. The chemistry is sound. It can deteriorate plastics and rubber seals but short term is ok. I got one of those "air cleaners" for like $10 that retails for hundreds that makes ozone. It's my ghetto version of what the pros use. I'll stick it in a musty car overnight and air it out after. Kills dead thing smell too. If the source of the odor is still there (dead mouse) or grows back (mold spores) then the odor will come back.
Quote Reply
Re: Ozone to deodorise [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But cigarette smell in upholstery would go?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

There was a discussion on another forum I belong to on this same topic this past week. Several people said that the ozone machines will make a noticeable impact on smoke smell, if not remove it completely.

I'm going to test it out on my son's room. If an ozone machine can eliminate the post-pubescent boy smell in his room it will clear up anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can I plug one in near the catbox... that would be excellent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

Haven't tried it on that so I defer to the post above.
Quote Reply
Re: Ozone to deodorise [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most legit car detailers have a machine. They work. See how much that would cost versus buying a cheapy one. Or cruise craigslist to see if a fly by night detailer is ditching their stuff.

I'd be careful with a DIY indoors if people are around. I thought ozone wasn't good for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It works. We rented an ozone machine. Did not cost too much for a 3 day rental. Needed it for a used car we bought that belonged to a smoker. I set up the machine outside the car. Then I used flexible dryer hose to attach to the machine. I put that through the window and used a towel around it to get a seal. I then turned it on and ran it all night. It pumped the ozone into the car, which then forced it through the vents. I did this twice and, after, you could not detect any smoke smell.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Ozone to deodorise [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good man

I just bought one. A very small unit but I spoke to them and they said just do multiple cycles for same vol of ozone

They said run it with ac on circulate internal air

I have exactly the same problem

I can't rent one. They don't have them here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ozone is quite dangerous if inhaled (but used in suspension in oil or water, it has many safe applications). If you are using it as a inhalable gas, be sure to let whatever space you are using it in ventilate afterwards. If using it indoors, it would be safest to isolate the room you are using it in from the rest of the house.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: Ozone to deodorise [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They told me to air for twice the length of the cycle.

I'm going to put in car for probably several hour then air for best part of day

The one I bought has 20 min on 40 off time and just runs till us turn it off.

It may take some time to sort mine out as I've bought a very low output unit
Quote Reply
Re: Ozone to deodorise [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
Ozone is quite dangerous if inhaled

This. Don't screw around with ozone in a confined space if you don't have monitoring equipment. Occupational 'Threshold Limit Value–Time-Weighted Average' is listed at 0.1 ppm of O3 .

Its dangerous to lungs, eyes, and any mucous membranes.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply