Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Choose my Aero Helmet - Pics and Videos inside!
Quote | Reply
Hello all!

I was hoping that I could get some recommendation on a new helmet!

I currently have a Giro Selector and it is getting rather old (2013 IIRC) and truth be told I think I get extremely hot in the helmet but it is all I have ever had so never thought anything about it. I am not looking to go to a wind tunnel and don't plan on it, I can change my fit this winter but for the rest of the season it is going to remain the same, besides I can hold the same if not more power than my road bike in the current position.

Here is a video of me in my Selector (medium)

Here is a video with me in my Evade II (medium)

Here is a still image from the front with the selector

This is virtually how I ride outside - I tuck or shrug "hard" during both videos at one point and at this time that is not attainable for me to hold for long distance but I find myself doing that in a very windy section or when the going just gets tough.

I am open to all helmets and just looking for a good "Aero Eye" recommendation (even if the selector is perfect, get another), im not going to fret over 2-3 watts between this or that. I have had my eyes on the Specialized TT helmet and also the P-09 but not sure if it would be a good fit - I am open to any recommendations.

I ultimately need to replace the helmet in my opinion and am hoping I can get something just as aero if not more and if possible something to help stay a little cooler.
Quote Reply
Re: Choose my Aero Helmet - Pics and Videos inside! [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump - can anyone maybe attest to the cooling factor between the S-works TT and P-09 Helmet?
Last edited by: teddygram: Jun 27, 19 8:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're fidgeting more with the Selector, which during a race would erase any savings realized by improved aerodynamics. Go with the Evade.
Quote Reply
Re: Choose my Aero Helmet - Pics and Videos inside! [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
You're fidgeting more with the Selector, which during a race would erase any savings realized by improved aerodynamics. Go with the Evade.

Thank you for the response - I don't typically fidget with it when I ride/race, during the test I was just making sure it was all the way back and I was trying to see how it felt or how it sat on my head etc. You cant tell in the video I had also just put it on for the first time (videoed the Evade first) and edited that part out.

I can see however how if I was trying to push it back all the time how it would mess with any advantage.

Thank you again for your response - I do like the evade and ride with it a lot
Last edited by: teddygram: Jun 27, 19 9:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Selector looks much better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're ditching the selector the current trend that we've seen in the tunnel hands down is get a Giro Aerohead unless you're in the M45-49 AG. Then it's a Rudy wingspan :-)

The Poc cerebral is doing quite well for a lot of people. The selector and Javelin still seem to do pretty well for some people. The LG P09 is a slid choice as well

For the most part an aero helmet will be faster than an aero road helmet 98% of the time. There have been 2 maybe 3x I can remember out of >100 people tested where the Evade was the fastest helmet for someone. Even then we're talking <3w.

If you decide to go Bell javelin or Giro Selector lmk as I've got one of each that I'm going to be selling. Both are size Sm

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Choose my Aero Helmet - Pics and Videos inside! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
If you're ditching the selector the current trend that we've seen in the tunnel hands down is get a Giro Aerohead unless you're in the M45-49 AG. Then it's a Rudy wingspan :-)

The Poc cerebral is doing quite well for a lot of people. The selector and Javelin still seem to do pretty well for some people. The LG P09 is a slid choice as well

For the most part an aero helmet will be faster than an aero road helmet 98% of the time. There have been 2 maybe 3x I can remember out of >100 people tested where the Evade was the fastest helmet for someone. Even then we're talking <3w.

If you decide to go Bell javelin or Giro Selector lmk as I've got one of each that I'm going to be selling. Both are size Sm

Brian,

I was really hoping you would reply to my thread and I appreciate your input!

I am not against staying with the selector I was more or less just seeing if something would be better at this point by glancing at the fit. Do you think in your experience that I should even bother changing helmets (I am not in the M45-49, so you can be honest :P)

I looked at the Javilin and it looks like it has possibly better ventilation than the Selector, im not opposed to any brand or model but if the Selector "works" for me then it works! I never really intended to ride the Evade on the TT bike, the video more or less was just another reference point.

Thank you again to everyone that has responded this far.
Last edited by: teddygram: Jun 27, 19 13:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Selector Javelin, Javelin Selector
I can't figure out why one of those helmets will almost always be a few watts faster than the other say 2-4w but both are always pretty close to each other rarely >5w difference.

Just looked through my old(er) data. The javelin was 3w faster than the selector on me. Of course ymmv

The Javelin should be be slightly more vented as well as since it has the two front slit vents in it. Also easier to put on. I had to dremel the sides of my selector so my ears would be more comfy

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply