Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best 140.6 course for first full IM? [runnerak47] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mont Tremblant.

Great swim
Beautiful ride (and clean smooth roads)
Pretty run.

But more than anything, the people. The town has bought into this, everyone is on board. The villages is a blast, the organization is right on and the food is great.
Another plus, it's in Quebec, which is France without the attitude. And you can go through Montreal. Stop there for a night in the old town, brilliant.
It's foreign travel, without the foreign.

I live in Toronto, we hate Montreal, but.........
Last edited by: michael Hatch: Jun 25, 19 16:05
Quote Reply
Re: Best 140.6 course for first full IM? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, everyone! It looks like many of the recommendations are featured in the Athletes' Choice lists: http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz5roOYImSA

Any reactions to the list? Do you agree with the rankings? Just curious!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runnerak47 wrote:
Thanks, everyone! It looks like many of the recommendations are featured in the Athletes' Choice lists: http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz5roOYImSA

What's interesting is that link to the 2017 list is very different to the 2018 list. Now I don't know about all the races, but IMNZ is up there at the top in 18 in several categories, but nowhere in the 2018 list, despite being the same venue and course (mostly) pretty much for the last 25 years.

When livign in the UK I did IM Austria as my first and IMNZ as my second (branded). So both needed big travels, but that was part of it. Helped give the other half something to look forward too as part of the build up when she was carrying the burden of athlete in training's chief sherpa. Don't think the pay off of a weekend in Bolton would have been as effective a carrot.

However, having also seen a lot of really disappointed people at IMNZ in 2012 when the cyclone hit (same happened 2007) then for a first timer there's a bit of a dice roll with IMNZ. Don't get me wrong, fantastic race and venue, and the only place in the world that a cyclone can wipe out the Ironman on the saturday and so they decide to run a full 70.3 on the Sunday morning with full road closures and aid stations staffed. And I'm booked in for next year, but I'm aware after the last few years good weather, it's a bit of a crap shoot as we are overdue another weather bomb. I'm OK with that as doesn't matter to me if I have 6 or 7 finisher medals on the wall, I enjoy the training. But that disappointment for a first timer can be hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runnerak47 wrote:

As has been, stated that list is outdated, but is also a farce. How can the same 15 or so races make up all the top 10 lists, just in different order?

Also, Maryland as the best overall IM? No way.

Maryland & Louisville (and Chatty) all in the Top 10 swims in the world? Bullshit.

I've done 5 IMs on 4 different courses & I can't even begin to comprehend those lists.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Best 140.6 course for first full IM? [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mongooseman wrote:
If distance isn't an issue, come to TaupĹŤ and race IMNZ. It is absolutely phenomenal. Roth as well, if you can get there. A race being flat doesn't necessarily make it "easier", either.

Aren't they all the same distance? 140.6?
Quote Reply
Re: Best 140.6 course for first full IM? [TriangleIL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, but they’re not all branded Ironman...

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Best 140.6 course for first full IM? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes Tremblant is great. Another advantage: exchange rate. The race will be cheaper than a US race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your general location? If you can use time zones in your favor, might be another thing to consider. It feels really nice to wake up at 4:30 am on race day having gotten a full night of sleep because you're still jetlagged and went to bed at 7:30 pm local time.

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Lanzarote.

Flat, no wind bike course, calm lake swim, moderate temperatures.
Quote Reply
Re: Best 140.6 course for first full IM? [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally makes sense. I'm in north Jersey. I was originally thinking MD, but after reading all of the helpful advice, I'm rethinking that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runnerak47 wrote:
Totally makes sense. I'm in north Jersey. I was originally thinking MD, but after reading all of the helpful advice, I'm rethinking that.

No lie, Lake Placid is your best bet. Yes it is one of the more slower courses due to having plenty of elevation change on the bike and run. However it is one of the most beautiful courses you will ever do and is absolutely iconic in terms of Ironman history. And it's a close drive for you. Reducing travel logistics for your first race is a key to making things a bit easier, so being able to drive there is huge. Also having one transition makes things easier from a logistics and stress standpoint. It lets you focus on the race itself.

Maryland is a great race for sure. And it certainly works well as a first timer race, especially if you are a late night finisher and need the flatness of the course to help complete. But it's nothing terribly special in terms of scenery. The town is nice enough for sure, but there is nowhere really to stay. AirBnB in town or a handful of hotels half an hour away are your only choices.

Although I haven't done it, Tremblant would also be a good pick again from the scenery/vibe perspective. However as I haven't done it (going off friend's glowing recommendations), I can't say much more than that.

Louisville is a good option as well. The mostly downhill swim, and flat run are a help for many. It's a good course, and a well organized race, but Louisville itself isn't the best city for the venue.
Quote Reply
Re: Best 140.6 course for first full IM? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
runnerak47 wrote:
...... Louisville itself isn't the best city for the venue.

Please explain. Louisville is an awesome race! Now, there is a new run course that seems less than ideal, but I'm speaking as a 2x Louisville finisher (in August).

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Best 140.6 course for first full IM? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
g_lev wrote:
...... Louisville itself isn't the best city for the venue.

Please explain. Louisville is an awesome race! Now, there is a new run course that seems less than ideal, but I'm speaking as a 2x Louisville finisher (in August).

Read again what I wrote. I said Louisville isn't the best CITY for a race venue.

The race itself is awesome. Well run. Good course. The city, not so much. 4th St Live is pretty cool, and the immediate area around it isn't bad. But the rest of the city is a bit wrecked and sad.

I've raced it twice. And will happily go back because it's a good race. But it's not a destination I clamor to go to.
Last edited by: g_lev: Jun 26, 19 13:02
Quote Reply
Re: Best 140.6 course for first full IM? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update: I just finished the Boulder 70.3 this past weekend (my first 70.3!) and totally understand why atmosphere and sense of challenge is appealing, rather than flat/fast. Boulder was by no means easy for me (altitude was particularly hard on the swim), but the scenery and feeling of accomplishment afterwards made it that much more special.

I was once leaning towards IM MD for my first 140.6 in 2020, but am now thinking that will not be exciting enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

IMMT is a great choice - it's a fair course - not super hilly or flat - winds could be an issue but not every year! Plus the village atmosphere is great - easy accommodations and stuff for a whole family to enjoy. Another plus is training venue...they've put in a lot of money to bring athletes up there to train on course- lots of training camps available.

There is also a huge IMLP contingent - not my favorite course but I can understand why people go back year after year.

If you can get into ROTH that's a once in a lifetime event you will not be disappointed by - with a course very similar to IMMT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runnerak47 wrote:
Looking to plan a full for 2020...any advice on the best location for a first timer on the full IM course? Things like flat/fast course, no extreme weather/altitude, and wetsuit legal swim would be nice, but would love any insight based on experience.

Thanks!

Are you just looking as finishing it or racing it? Most are good for a first time.....the question to ask is....which are the worst???? and narrow down from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runnerak47 wrote:
Thanks for the help!

I live in northern NJ, so Maryland would be about a 3.5 hr drive. Very doable. I'm leaning heavily towards this one.

I live in SJ and have done Maryland 2 times for this reason, Super easy drive.

Downfall is lodging is hard to find, nothing for family to do..

Have also done Florida, Tons of nice places to stay, Lots for Family to do..... But a PITA to get too.

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the comments re: ease of access. The less travel stress, the better; especially for your first time. For that reason, I did IM Canada in Whistler (2016 & 2017) Being from Edmonton, it was driveable with stopovers in the Okanagan on the way there and on the way back. IMMT will be number 3 for me in 10 days!

Jason
Edmonton
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m from MD. What I’ve heard locally reflects this forum, IMMD doesn’t have a great rep. I look at it as an IM I would do if I had the time to do one, but not the money to travel. Swim gets canceled regularly, and having visited that area a lot... it has great scenery, but there is really nothing to do.

I haven’t seen IMWI here yet. I did that as my first last year, made the drive from DC. Sure it’s a challenging course, but the atmosphere is incredible and the race was really well run.

That being said, I wanted to do IMMT as my first, but it had sold out. Made sure to register early this year, and I’ll be heading up there next week to race - it was #1 on the bucket list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those saying do a easy race logistically, I just don't get it. For such a big event and one that pretty much dominates ones life for several months, it is surprising to go and race somewhere that is close by just to make it easier to get to. I say the direct opposite is better. Go somewhere that will be equal to the event. My first IM was in Switzerland and my second Western Australia. Both were such amazing trips, and the races so memorable because of the courses and the culture.

The challenges of travelling with a bike are so minimal these days, and races are so generic here in the US. I would go abroad. Go and race in Asia or do the Patagonman in Chile (amazing race in an epic part of the world, and one that I will remember forever). Go and race IMSA where it is fast and you can do a safari the week after the race. Make it big, not small.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you think IMMD would be boring then definitely don’t do IMFL. I’ve raced IMAZ, IMFL x2 and IMMD x2. IMFL is the most boring race course ever and it is not spectator friendly. Not sure if you have friends & family traveling to support. Also the entire area is pretty much a ghost town that time of year. I dont know your race time estimate but if you will finish after 12 hours, the run course will be extremely dark - like you can’t see your feet. Outside of the 2 miles surrounding transition, you will feel alone on the race. I will never race FL again.

I did IMAZ as my first and the entire event was an absolute thrill. The energy there was unreal. The run course is extremely technical, you run across bridges of supporters and it gives your family a ton of options on seeing you on multiple places on the course. The bike course was fun and felt more like a nascar raceway to me. IMFL was a complete let down after IMAZ but I raced it twice as a lot of friends and teammates decided to do it together. There is a lot of stuff to do in Tempe, Scottsdale, Phoenix which is why a good amount of people buy winter vacation homes there to be there at that time of year. I will go back and do AZ again for sure.

IMMD was a pretty awesome race too when the weather cooperates. One year I raced, the swim was cancelled. The run course is fun, spectator friendly and you feel surrounded by good energy the whole time. The whole small town community jumps in to volunteer and take part in the event. There is not much to do in the small town there but the Airbnb accommodations are pretty stellar and the people are extremely hospitable and will bend over backwards for you. I raced Eagleman 2x there as well and was so impressed by the accommodations and people every time. The Airbnb homes are very historic and the owners only open the homes up for the two annual Ironman events. Airbnb accommodations are not hard to find at all - just don’t wait until last minute.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Aug 8, 19 0:23
Quote Reply
Re: Best 140.6 course for first full IM? [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An anecdote:

My first full was Whistler which ended up being a great choice because it was easy for me logistics wise (have a place there), stunningly beautiful, varied terrain etc.

It’s obviously a really hard race, because of this I didn’t feel like I had to throw everything into going fast, because I wasn’t sure I could finish.

As a result I was de-stressed, had a great race and really surprised myself.

If my first was Busselton or something I’d probably go balls to the wall and blow myself up.
Quote Reply
Re: Best 140.6 course for first full IM? [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For Ironman MD, what is the swim like? I ask because I'm a bit weary of ocean swims. I did IM 70.3 Maine with heavily undulating waves and choppy cold water. When I finished on the beach I puked up a lot of salt water and almost dropped out. I get seasick easily. I generally have no problem with freshwater swims. Just curious about the MD swim in terms of difficulty.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you travelling by yourself or with another person (kids)? Makes a big difference. I try to let them help choose.

Below are my views on some of the races I've done. Good luck to you, it's nice now that they don't sell out so fast and you have so many to choose from.

I think Tremblant has a slight edge over Placid for the following reasons:
- nicer venue, bottom of the ski hill turns into IM party town
- a touch more crowd support (very debatable)
- more lodging options (although just as expensive)
- better road conditions for bike
- easier run
- again debatable but i think there is more to do around the area for non-racers or on non-race day

Placid has a more scenic bike course, and great crowd support, and the town is cute enough.

Arizona is easy to fly to and lots of cheap accommodations, and Tempe has lots of great restaurants and great college town feel. The swim though SUCKS and I will never do that race again (probably).

Texas is similar to Arizona, the swim not quite as bad but a pretty shitty bike course.

Cozumel is a great course and fantastic destination. Lots to do, best swim, challenging (but flat) bike course and a flat run with lots of crowd support.

If you choose Tremblant you definitely won't be disappointed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered Texas?
Quote Reply

Prev Next