Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saris Bones 3 bike compatability
Quote | Reply
I have a Saris Bones 3 bike rack, which I love. I recently got a new car (Chrysler Pacifica minivan) and its not listed as compatible. However, it seems like it fits just fine. Anyone have any experience with this? I am aware I would be putting my bike at risk since there would be no warranty but it seems just as sturdy as when i had it installed on my Nissan Altima. Am I nuts? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Saris Bones 3 bike compatability [airhol2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd call Saris and ask them their reasoning for not listing that van. Maybe they just didn't test it on that van, hence it was not included? I have the 2 bike rack, and used it on an Altima just fine as well because all the points where the hooks connected were metal around the trunk. I had no problem tightening all the straps down as hard as I could so that the rack was extremely snug.

I recently got a CRV, which is still approved, but I wouldn't use except if it was just one road bike. I'd be hesitant to use it with multiple road bikes or one heavy mountain bike because the upper hooks have to wrap around the upper "spoiler" that is not metal. So the harder I tighten the upper straps, I can see the "spoiler" somewhat bending downwards. Which means I can't tighten it down as much as I want, and the additional weight loaded on the rack pulls down on this non metal piece as well which then flexes anytime I hit a bump.

Overall I think these are solid racks, but it's really the car that determines how snug and secure you can get them.
Quote Reply