Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Large tire pressures
Quote | Reply
I’m at 85-90 on my 23mm tires and tried looking for guidance on how low to go for wider 33 and 42mm tires. I’ve found everything from 15-50 PSI and rim has max rating of 80 and tires say between 50-80 for 42mm tires. That seems very high. I was thinking 30ish but don’t want to go below tire rating. 50 feels hard. Very hard. Should I go lower despite the tire rating? You’d think the tire guys would understand the tire pressure game.

Suggestions for 33’s as well?

I’ve lunch flatted on my road rims at 80 which is why I stay at 85-90. Road is also tubed so not quite same situation.

Tubeless setup
Specialized tires
Giant wheels
Quote Reply
Re: Large tire pressures [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much do you weigh?
Quote Reply
Re: Large tire pressures [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True scale weight or my online weight ;)

165lbs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My recollection of the Silca articles on tire size and pressure recommend dropping 3-5 psi per mm larger. So that would be dropping 30-50 psi for the 33's, resulting in a range of 35 - 55 psi for you. That sounds about right to me for mixed media use. Lower end of the range for better grip on looser surfaces, higher end of the range for higher speed rod use.
Quote Reply
Re: Large tire pressures [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah so that puts the 42’s around 30 which is what I thought originally. That’s 20psi below published minimum. Just interesting that there’s such a disconnect between what’s recommended and what’s allowed. Wouldn’t tire guys be in the know about best pressures by now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
Yeah so that puts the 42’s around 30 which is what I thought originally. That’s 20psi below published minimum. Just interesting that there’s such a disconnect between what’s recommended and what’s allowed. Wouldn’t tire guys be in the know about best pressures by now.

The Silca article may also cover how they come up with the "minimums" that they print on the tire, but my sense is it has more to do with liability and less with what will work and what's optimal. I regularly run 34-37mm tires (tubeless) down in the low 30's with zero problems. I'll also run them as high as 50 for road use.
Quote Reply
Re: Large tire pressures [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I appreciate the sanity check. I do think it’s silly the industry is forcing their customers to choose between optimal rolling performance and staying within manufacturers minimums.

I equate that to Ford saying here’s a pickup but cannot be used for hauling or towing. Just doesn’t make sense but then again guess these are truly first world problems. I’ll accept it and carry on.
Quote Reply