Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dog on a plane
Quote | Reply
I am bringing my my 4-year old golden retriever from the Philippines to Canada in a few weeks. It is a 13 hour direct flight from Manila to Vancouver.

Has anyone had experience flying with an adult dog? Did you sedate him?
Quote Reply
Re: Dog on a plane [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No quarantine needed?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd talk to a vet.

Years ago when we purchased a Saint, we had it flown out from the breeder in Las Vegas to LA. But that was a three-month old puppy for a one hour flight.

Totally unrelated, but I'm still pissed about it, so I might as well tell the story. We once agreed to take in my brother-in-law's Jack Russell. After about seven or eight years, he asked for it back. Only he had since moved to North Dakota, and wanted to fly it there. I refused, as I thought the dog was too old (probably 11 or 12 at the time) and would have a difficult time with the flight. I also thought the brother-in-law was being an ass for asking for the dog back, especially since he was a bad dog owner for giving it up in the first place as well as other things. My wife insisted to keep family peace. But I still refused to allow the dog to be put on a plane. So my wife drove half way and met up with her brother half way to hand over the dog. Six months later, the dog took off chasing a deer and was never seen again. (He didn't have a fenced yard -- one of the reasons we took the dog in in the first place.) To this day, I want nothing to do with that fucker.
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Jun 21, 19 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benadryl was what the Vet recommended when I had to fly my MIL's dog home. Worked quite well.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume he will be in a crate / container in Cargo. That can be stressful - his family gone, he's in a box, loud noises and when he gets to the destination and they are unloading him, only 1 in 3 Canadian airport workers in Canada speak Tagalog. A mild sedative is usually the way to go.

Make sure you have the quarantine thing worked out. It was a big deal between Singapore and Canada, so I imagine it will be even more onerous for Philippines.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Dog on a plane [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no quarantine in Canada for dogs from the Philippines.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog on a plane [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume he will be in a crate / container in Cargo. That can be stressful - his family gone, he's in a box, loud noises and when he gets to the destination and they are unloading him, only 1 in 3 Canadian airport workers in Canada speak Tagalog. A mild sedative is usually the way to go.

I am looking for a mild sedative as that appears to be the way to go. He is spoken to in English so will be okay with people talking.

Make sure you have the quarantine thing worked out. It was a big deal between Singapore and Canada, so I imagine it will be even more onerous for Philippines.

No quarantine here. He just needs a permit that we get 10 days before the flight and proof of rabies vaccination.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Dogs? Or dog meat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took my dog Shadow on Air Canada from YYZ to Bermuda and back. He's a standard poodle cross so too large to fit into the passenger cabin so traveled down below. I did have to use a hard-shell carrier due to Air Canada regulations. About 3 months prior to the trip, I swapped out Shadow's regular wire kennel to the hard-shell carrier so he would get used to spending time in there.

Shadow doesn't travel well and even gets stressed out and throws up on short car rides. For car rides, I have previously used Children's Gravol tablets which seems to relax him and car travel is not a problem - have had him up to 6-hour drives where he sleeps a large portion of it.

3 hours prior to his flight I gave Shadow one Children's Gravol tablet. I also placed one of my t-shirts in the carrier so he has the scent of me during the trip.As part of the check-in process, I needed to complete a form/questionnaire. One of the questions asks whether I gave my dog any medicine - my response was NO (otherwise I was afraid they would hold him back).

One thing I also had to be aware of is that Air Canada has regulations that they won't allow dogs to travel to certain tropical countries in the summertime due to high temperatures. I recommend you check whether this applies to flights FROM tropical countries.

Are you on the same flight? When boarding the plane, I asked one of the flight attendants to check on my dog. Shortly after takeoff, she came to my seat and mentioned Shadow was comfortably on-board and was doing OK. This was a major relief otherwise I would have been even more stressed throughout the duration of the flight. They offloaded Shadow's carrier as soon as we gated and I saw his little tail wagging so all was fine!

Good luck!
@Kid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is way too far in a plane for a dog. I recommend that you drive instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't sedate him - any sedative that does anything significant is going to a) wear off long before he gets there and b) put him at higher risk for heart or lung problems. That's a long-ass flight, he's going to be very physically and mentally stressed no matter what - you need to work out a way for him to have water (a bottle that he can trigger with his tongue), teach him how to use it before you fly (and more generally get him acclimated to his crate before the trip) and hope that he's willing to drink and pee in the crate rather than dehydrate himself, and if you put something in to absorb that, that he doesn't decide to chew it and choke on it or obstruct his gut. I hope you have a really good reason for trying this, because it's definitely not without risk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are organisations that fly dogs from Thailand to Canada so they would have good info on how best to transport dogs on such a long-haul flight. I'm thinking of Soi Dogs. Maybe get in touch with them to see what suggestions they have. I'm sure there would be similar orgs in the Philippines, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog on a plane [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you have a really good reason for trying this, because it's definitely not without risk.

My wife, daughter and golden are from the Philippines where I lived for a year and now they are joining me in Canada where I work so really not much of a choice in terms of flying.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog on a plane [atkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you on the same flight? When boarding the plane, I asked one of the flight attendants to check on my dog. Shortly after takeoff, she came to my seat and mentioned Shadow was comfortably on-board and was doing OK. This was a major relief otherwise I would have been even more stressed throughout the duration of the flight. They offloaded Shadow's carrier as soon as we gated and I saw his little tail wagging so all was fine!

My wife, daughter and I are on the same flight so I'll be putting him in the crate and dropping him off and will be there when he arrives in Vancouver. I am calling Philippines airlines 48 hours before the flight to inform them of the dog which is their policy. I also intend to tell them about the dog when I check in and when I board the plane. Everyone will know there is a dog on board.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog on a plane [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Dogs? Or dog meat?

It's the Philippines, not China or Vietnam...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen the recommendation to NOT sedate more than to actually do it.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog on a plane [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ready4Launch wrote:
I've seen the recommendation to NOT sedate more than to actually do it.

Yes, I’be been seeing the same for healthy dogs. There are natural light sedatives that help a bit but for the most part, it’s better to just not give anything. I’ll need the sedative when I have to sit for 13 hours knowing he’s below.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a good crate yet? Can I sell you one? I have an Impact Dog Crate that's not much use to me any longer. It's very sturdy, airline approved dimensions, and has the bars on the side needed for loading/securing. Ha!

Yeah, tough. Out of sight, out of mind if you can. We flew with our 10lbs Yorkie. On the outbound flight on US Airways or American - can't remember which - the flight attendants were okay with her being out from under the seat in front of us and out of the dog carrier. She curled up on our laps. The return flight, all but one flight attendant was fine with her being on my lap. The one made a point to force her under the seat, which, fine, it's the fucking policy, and I complied. But, she hated it, and she ended up making her gums bleed as she tried to bite the mesh of the carrier to get out. She didn't stop for 3 hours. It was awful.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our first dog who is no longer with us, flew from Ohio to China, then from China to France and last from France to Poland without any issues and without medication.
She was used to be in her crate since she was a pup and when we were driving so she was not nervous to be in a crate!
The trip to china was long (Dayton/LA/Tokyo/Shanghai) but the dog arrive totally unfazed and resume normal life immediately!
My only advice would be to train the dog to be in a crate before.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog on a plane [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:

Let's hope the dog isn't racist!

See I have a racist dog
Quote Reply
Re: Dog on a plane [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
totally unrelated, but I'm still pissed about it, so I might as well tell the story. We once agreed to take in my brother-in-law's Jack Russell. After about seven or eight years, he asked for it back.

That is so wrong.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Dog on a plane [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought an approved crate in the Philippines. I have a feeling that after the flight My dog will not go near it again so I’ll likely just leave it at the airport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know why you are worried about this. It is just a dog. Just turn him loose there and get another one here.

I'm kidding. I don't want to get nuked. I just got back after being gone for three weeks. My wife joined me for the last week of it, so it was the kids and the dogs. Guess which ones I was most eager to see. We got in late (midnight) and told the kids to let the dogs sleep in their rooms so we could sleep in a little and recover from our trip. When we got up, we went to my son's room and enjoyed watching the dogs as they ran back and forth between my wife and I. I think the kids may have said hello, but I was more concerned with the dogs.

As to your situation. I can imagine being worried about the dog being in the crate for that long. But I'm sure he/she will be fine.
Quote Reply