Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sauna - Should it Count Toward Training Time
Quote | Reply
It seems the research supports the health benefits of sauna, including performance improvement for endurance athletes. I have started ending one of my daily workouts with a 20 - 25 minute sauna. For about 10 minutes of that time, I will stretch and do a couple yoga poses and then typically walk for about 5 minutes in the sauna (it’s a pretty big sauna). So my question is should that time count toward training time. From my perspective you are stressing your body and HR gets elevated to high Zone 2 so it feels like it should be considered as being part of your training time. Not looking to pad my training hours, just curious what others may think.
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna - Should it Count Toward Training Time [tojunialto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tojunialto wrote:
It seems the research supports the health benefits of sauna, including performance improvement for endurance athletes. I have started ending one of my daily workouts with a 20 - 25 minute sauna. For about 10 minutes of that time, I will stretch and do a couple yoga poses and then typically walk for about 5 minutes in the sauna (it’s a pretty big sauna). So my question is should that time count toward training time. From my perspective you are stressing your body and HR gets elevated to high Zone 2 so it feels like it should be considered as being part of your training time. Not looking to pad my training hours, just curious what others may think.

Is there a Strava category for it? If it's not on Strava it doesn't count.

But I always just counted it as a cool down, not that it matters. It's not like the awards ceremony counts up workout hours.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t count it as actual training time, as this opens the door to interpreting other activities as training. Sex, for example, stresses the body, increases your HR, you may stretch during said activity and causes certain forms of stimulus. Could this count toward your weekly accumulated training hours for your athletic event? I would say no, but some would say yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure. Also count anxiety and drinking too much caffeine.
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna - Should it Count Toward Training Time [SBRLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRLaw wrote:
I wouldn’t count it as actual training time, as this opens the door to interpreting other activities as training. Sex, for example, stresses the body, increases your HR, you may stretch during said activity and causes certain forms of stimulus. Could this count toward your weekly accumulated training hours for your athletic event? I would say no, but some would say yes.

To your sex example, I mean, is like another 5 minutes going to matter all that much as a metric?

Wait.... what?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. You can also log time in a hot tub as swimming.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna - Should it Count Toward Training Time [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I log my sleep as a Strava activity. It’s hard to get the recommended 8 hours a night. I figure on heavy sweating nights that I’m burning 300-500 calories easy. I see no reason a hard sauna session wouldn’t meet the same criteria. If you don’t log it you’re kind of cheating yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRLaw wrote:
Sex, for example, stresses the body, increases your HR, you may stretch during said activity and causes certain forms of stimulus. Could this count toward your weekly accumulated training hours for your athletic event? I would say no, but some would say yes.

Sweet!! an extra 3 minutes a week!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I log massage, recovery boots, ice baths as 'Other' in Training Peaks (I record activities such as Pilates as Strength). So if I am comparing 2 blocks of training, I can take into account the recovery activities as well.

But I only log actual swim, bike and run on Strava.

So I use Strava to see actual training time, but Training Peaks for all training related activities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is beneficial and will affect your ability to recover, unlike sitting in a spa. Training time? No. But it must be taken into account especially if you're living on the edge of overtraining.
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna - Should it Count Toward Training Time [oakie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oakie wrote:
SBRLaw wrote:
Sex, for example, stresses the body, increases your HR, you may stretch during said activity and causes certain forms of stimulus. Could this count toward your weekly accumulated training hours for your athletic event? I would say no, but some would say yes.

Sweet!! an extra 3 minutes a week!
So you're married?
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna - Should it Count Toward Training Time [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

I think this is exactly correct. I remember reading a blog post by Rob Gray about heat adaptation and his point was that you should factor the additional stress of heat adaptation sauna time along with your TSS particularly if you are doing this during a taper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I look at the people using the sauna and no, they are not training (though some they think they are).

If I was on a hospital gurney with an elevated heart rate, stressing and sweating, I would not call it training.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, but interesting topic as I sit here this morning exhausted from hot yoga last night.
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna - Should it Count Toward Training Time [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
I look at the people using the sauna and no, they are not training (though some they think they are).

If I was on a hospital gurney with an elevated heart rate, stressing and sweating, I would not call it training.

Elevated HR on hospital gurney is not training, but that situation would definitely affect your ability to train the next day. So I would record that event in Training Peaks, so when looking back I would understand why I missed 3 days of training.
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna - Should it Count Toward Training Time [RobInOz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobInOz wrote:
IT wrote:

Elevated HR on hospital gurney is not training, but that situation would definitely affect your ability to train the next day. So I would record that event in Training Peaks, so when looking back I would understand why I missed 3 days of training.
THIS.

The purpose of "counting" is to keep track of things that affect your performance, so you can learn and improve.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://life.spartan.com/...fits-for-performance

https://www.bradencurrie.com/...-world-championship/

https://bikerumor.com/...aling-with-the-heat/

Stacy Sims has done some analysis of the potential performance benefits of sauna use for endurance athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna - Should it Count Toward Training Time [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
RobInOz wrote:
IT wrote:

THIS.

The purpose of "counting" is to keep track of things that affect your performance, so you can learn and improve.

Do we then write down what we eat/drink that day, if we mow the lawn and how much we are on ST?

Isn't it helpful to key on certain information and not all the information?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna - Should it Count Toward Training Time [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
jt10000 wrote:
RobInOz wrote:
IT wrote:

THIS.

Do we then write down what we eat/drink that day, if we mow the lawn and how much we are on ST?

Isn't it helpful to key on certain information and not all the information?

I don't think I said "all." But to be clearer, if something make makes you feel tired or notably different than normal, then recording it can be useful. This includes extra stressors and extra recovery actions.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRLaw wrote:

Captain Canada has an entire training regime based on a more solitary version of this activity. How can you stay on the program if you don’t log it? Can make for awkward conversations with significant others should they accidentally peruse your training log
Quote Reply