Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suggestion for 650b CX bikes
Quote | Reply
Looking to get a drop-bar bike for my partner, who's 5'1", mostly for commuting, but perhaps eventually for trail riding and maybe some road use. I'd think a CX bike would be the best horse for the course, but perhaps a hardtail or gravel might also do the trick?

Should we look mostly for 650c bikes, or could 700c work as well? Don't think she's that interested in doing TT/Tris, so aero concerns are not an issue here.

What brand actually make 650c CX bikes? Or is this veering into custom geo territory?

edit: changed to reflect the fact that i'd have a much better chance finding something in 650b
Last edited by: echappist: Jun 21, 19 11:17
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestion for 650c CX bikes [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see more 650b wheels than 650c, mostly on cx/gravel type bikes, frankly I don't know enough about bikes to opine. Given your comments I would look at something like the Salsa Journeyman, comes in a variety of options and seems pretty flexible is usage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one makes 650c cross tires that I know of. Lots of good options for 650b now and 26" wheels would also be an option. There are plenty of tire choices for tires for both of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestion for 650c CX bikes [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it; thanks. I’ll change the title to reflect this

As for 650b bikes, any brand that stands out for fit geared toward women?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
at 5'1" she does not necessarily need a 650c or 650b wheel. I am also 5'1" and have ridden 700c CX and road bikes.

If she is an STW (Super Tiny Woman) and has Reach requirement shorter than 368 then yes maybe.

Jamis Renegade also has a 48cm with a Reach of 360. They also have the Exile model at a 44cm frame with a 350 Reach. These two sizes come in 650b.

Bianchi Orso is the classic cx/commuter and they have a 46cm frame at 700c.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Looking to get a drop-bar bike for my partner, who's 5'1", mostly for commuting, but perhaps eventually for trail riding and maybe some road use. I'd think a CX bike would be the best horse for the course, but perhaps a hardtail or gravel might also do the trick?

Should we look mostly for 650c bikes, or could 700c work as well? Don't think she's that interested in doing TT/Tris, so aero concerns are not an issue here.

What brand actually make 650c CX bikes? Or is this veering into custom geo territory?

Sorry - I'm an admin and accidentally messed with the original post (I just fixed it and reverted back to your original text).

Here's the response I meant to post:

As others have said, 650c CX doesn't really exist, both for frames and tire choices (and 650c barely exists for any new bikes these days). Occasionally you'll see custom CX bikes with 26" wheels for shorter riders (which is close to, but different than 650c)... using narrow-ish XC mountain bike tires.

650b can work, but the big focus (I think) should be on tires. There are a lot of 650b gravel/CX tires, but many are so large that the outside effective diameter is as big as 700c tires.

This has some more info: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...Road_Plus__6860.html
And I also wrote some stuff here: https://www.minimalmultisport.com/blog/650b-verdict

...with this being the take-home:
"The place that 650b doesn’t get enough credit is in its utility for smaller riders, when coupled with smaller diameter tires (i.e. 32-42mm). Surly was first-to-mass-market here (again) with their 650b Straggler, first available only in sizes for short riders. Shorter riders benefit from smaller wheels, and 650b is now the only fashionable choice, after the industry decided that 26-inch and 650c wheels were dumb. If you’re under about 5’6”, this is exactly the type of bike I suggest shopping for."

Basically, if you're concerned with rider height and toe overlap, you need to keep the overall tire diameter in check, regardless of wheel size. Your least expensive non-custom option is probably the Straggler. Not a ton of tire choices in those small-mid CX tires, so I'd double check that you have a couple good options that you're happy with before pulling the trigger on the bike.

Quote Reply
Re: Suggestion for 650c CX bikes [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Anne and Greg, thank you both for chiming in. Certainly a bit for us to mull over

as a follow up, would I be able to run 650b wheels on 700c CX frames? Probably a dumb question, but just wanted to confirm.

Another option would be to get a hardtail MTB and put drop bars on it. I seem to recall there are some rather light hardtails out there (approaching 20lbs)
Last edited by: echappist: Jun 21, 19 11:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
@Anne and Greg, thank you both for chiming in. Certainly a bit for us to mull over

as a follow up, would I be able to run 650b wheels on 700c CX frames? Probably a dumb question, but just wanted to confirm.

Another option would be to get a hardtail MTB and put drop bars on it. I seem to recall there are some rather light hardtails out there (approaching 20lbs)

You can run 650b on most 700c disc brake CX/gravel frames (rim brakes won't work and wouldn't contact the smaller rim). But it's not 100% of frames, and depends on the shaping of the rear triangle. Drop bars on an MTB can work, but you have to double check compatibility between a road shifter and MTB derailleur (some combinations work, some don't).

Another option is to just start out with a standard MTB... a lot of people seem to assume that they're automatically slow for a gravel-type ride, but the flat bar doesn't inherently/magically slow you down, especially with an appropriate tire choice.

For me, the more I've done gravel riding, the more I appreciate what mountain bikes can do. There's a lot of rugged fire roads and trails that you can complete on a CX or gravel bike, but it's faster, safer, and more fun on a mountain bike with front suspension and a flat bar. But I'm getting off topic and don't want to hijack the thread any further.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestion for 650c CX bikes [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregk wrote:
echappist wrote:

You can run 650b on most 700c disc brake CX/gravel frames (rim brakes won't work and wouldn't contact the smaller rim). But it's not 100% of frames, and depends on the shaping of the rear triangle. Drop bars on an MTB can work, but you have to double check compatibility between a road shifter and MTB derailleur (some combinations work, some don't).

Another option is to just start out with a standard MTB... a lot of people seem to assume that they're automatically slow for a gravel-type ride, but the flat bar doesn't inherently/magically slow you down, especially with an appropriate tire choice.

For me, the more I've done gravel riding, the more I appreciate what mountain bikes can do. There's a lot of rugged fire roads and trails that you can complete on a CX or gravel bike, but it's faster, safer, and more fun on a mountain bike with front suspension and a flat bar. But I'm getting off topic and don't want to hijack the thread any further.

Gotcha; thanks again for taking the time to respond. I read the article you wrote where you mentioned possible compatibility, and just wanted to confirm

One option i'd really like to entertain is the Canyon Endurace which has wheel sized for smaller-framed riders (650b for 3XS and 2XS). Only down side is that they appear to be road use only (as opposed to a CX frame)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should look at the Grail, also 650b and can do duty as CX.

The canyon site is a little tricky now - hover over the "Road" category but go all the way to the right to see the Womens' specific models.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a problem. With so many options, evolving standards, and fast obsolescence, it's so easy to get overwhelmed or stuck in paralysis by analysis. I've lived this stuff for 15+ years and can barely keep up.
Quote Reply