Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Shoes catching on the ground running into T2 [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the tips, particularly gmh39 and DarkSpeedWorks. I'd not considered the freehub drag element of the equation - definitely worth a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes catching on the ground running into T2 [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Your freehub has too much drag, so as you push (coast) the bike into T2, the freehub mech pulls/pushes on the chain which moves your cranks which then makes your shoes repeatedly hit the ground. Not usually a big problem on grass, but a big annoyance on harder surfaces like asphalt or dirt.

Three things you can do:

1 - Before T2, shift into the biggest cog you can on the cassette (the chainring does not matter as much, but it would further help if you shift to your smaller chainring). By shifting into the biggest cassette cog, it makes it harder for the cassette to move the rest of the drivetrain (due to a less advantageous lever arm for the sticky cassette, when in a bigger cog).

2 - Also before T2 or as you pull your feet out of your shoes, try to orient your cranks level and stopped.

3 - Before your next race, clean out your freehub, and put it in some very light/thin freehub specific oil/grease. Check that it has very low resistance when you run it backwards (like it does when you coast on your bike).

Problem should be solved.

I must be missing how to do this

So you take your feet out

Your left pedal is at the bottoms and you do a flying dismount. How do you level the pedals out?
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes catching on the ground running into T2 [ni31mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guess all the hard core leave-your-shoes-clipped people will scoff at this, but I do my mounts and dismounts running / flying with my cycling shoes on. No rubber bands or shoe catching to worry about. Plus I have the added stability of actually biking (in aero) away / toward transition, which tends to be a crowded area, instead of biking semi-upright, one-handed while messing with my feet.

FWIW, I run a 165 crank with women's 7-8 shoe (39) and my shoe heels also catch if I roll the bike with my shoes attached to the pedals.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Three things you can do:

1 - Before T2, shift into the biggest cog you can on the cassette (the chainring does not matter as much, but it would further help if you shift to your smaller chainring). By shifting into the biggest cassette cog, it makes it harder for the cassette to move the rest of the drivetrain (due to a less advantageous lever arm for the sticky cassette, when in a bigger cog).
One sounds like a real game changer... I push by my seat and will lift the rear sometimes if my shoes are hitting... but there have been time where this was a problem. I'm going to guess I was probably in a small gear, makes a lot of sense now that I read your tip!
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes catching on the ground running into T2 [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
I'm guess all the hard core leave-your-shoes-clipped people will scoff at this, but I do my mounts and dismounts running / flying with my cycling shoes on. No rubber bands or shoe catching to worry about. Plus I have the added stability of actually biking (in aero) away / toward transition, which tends to be a crowded area, instead of biking semi-upright, one-handed while messing with my feet.

FWIW, I run a 165 crank with women's 7-8 shoe (39) and my shoe heels also catch if I roll the bike with my shoes attached to the pedals.

So you have to click out of one pedal while you're hopping off of the bike to start running? Accident waiting to happen IMO, I've seen it happen plenty of times.. Mostly due to not getting the shoe clicked out of the pedal or at least not in time and braking, followed by them smashing into the ground..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:

I'll second that it's a really bad idea to jump off of the bike clipped in and strapped into your shoes. It may work usually, but it is an accident waiting to happen.

As far as getting on the bike, I truly believe that putting the shoes on in T1 is faster than a flying mount onto a bike with shoes attached (unless you are really good and quick at it). As soon as you are on, you are pedaling and building speed while your competitors are fumbling with their shoes / not really putting any effort in.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes catching on the ground running into T2 [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
Tsunami wrote:

So you have to click out of one pedal while you're hopping off of the bike to start running? Accident waiting to happen IMO, I've seen it happen plenty of times.. Mostly due to not getting the shoe clicked out of the pedal or at least not in time and braking, followed by them smashing into the ground..

Yes. Any moving mount or dismount involves inherent risk. Mine is well-practiced and meets my bar for acceptable risk, else I wouldn't do it. YMMV.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not scoffing at it, just that instead of rubber bands or shoes catching you are replacing that with the worry of clumisly running on bike shoes that can make you fall and/or break a cleat. You do that in T1 and your race is over.

Running barefoot with your shoes attached is simply a skill that takes practice. You dont do it well practicing it 1 time before a race. Those are the people you see all over the place with issues in T1/T2 who saw it on Youtube and think they can do it in a race.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes catching on the ground running into T2 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not good for running barefoot. Have had surgery on both feet so they are a bit permanently tender in spots, plus I have a long middle toe that gets stubbed often when I walk barefoot. My race gets ugly predictably if I break my toe running barefoot on asphalt when I didn't need to be.

But yes, you all keep doing you. And so long as Shimano keeps producing cleats with little rubber feet on them, I'll keep doing me. NFW would I have tried executing this on my old Look cleat setup; I couldn't even walk reliably without skating in those shoes / cleats.

Quote Reply

Prev Next