Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New YouTube Channel???
Quote | Reply
Hello fellow STs - i am by no means a 'YouTuber' but i am keen to make videos about training, racing etc etc. Thought it might be worth throwing out there to see what people would - if at all - be interested in seeing and try and go about it that way instead of aimlessly pumping out useless videos which don't help or inspire anyone.
Any thoughts welcome....

As a note i am racing Ironman Vichy (France) later this year and the intention is to go sub 9 and that's what i would be planning to cover. The last 12weeks training, highs, lows etc etc

Thanks all
Quote Reply
Re: New YouTube Channel??? [rustywelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My advice is to find a niche first and then develop something after that. Editing style, while important will always take a back seat to the quality of the content itself.

We have a few channels out there already that are putting out: a day in the life of training, pump up videos (a la Talbot Cox), gear, news, etc.
Unless you are able to provide something unique that isn't already out there in terms of content, then you'll have a hard time getting views from other channels.

As triathletes we're generally starved for time anyways, so making the time to view another channel would be difficult. That being said, one place where I find we don't have enough coverage is any cross triathlon/xterra type series. However, you would have to already be a subject matter expert in that area, or are willing to document your journey as you navigate your entry into that arena.

Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rustywelton wrote:
Hello fellow STs - i am by no means a 'YouTuber' but i am keen to make videos about training, racing etc etc. Thought it might be worth throwing out there to see what people would - if at all - be interested in seeing and try and go about it that way instead of aimlessly pumping out useless videos which don't help or inspire anyone.
Any thoughts welcome....

As a note i am racing Ironman Vichy (France) later this year and the intention is to go sub 9 and that's what i would be planning to cover. The last 12weeks training, highs, lows etc etc

Thanks all

My advice would be to simply start doing what you like. Make it something that you like, that you are proud of. Do that, do it well, and you'll have something unique. If you do something that is what "other people want" then you'll wind up with the same old boring shit that everyone else is already producing.

I've thought about doing something on and off, but I haven't figured out what that unique thing is yet. That, plus lack of technical skills and I even bore myself most days....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: New YouTube Channel??? [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for taking the time to feed back - i really appreciate that. I think sometimes you have these grand ideas of 'adding value' etc then you realise just how small our little tri world really is!!
Quote Reply
Re: New YouTube Channel??? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response - i totally agree, think doing what you enjoy is key. I just wondered if there were things people were after, but i think as has been said everyone is time crunched and so you may as well do what you like and at least then you'll enjoy it - how every boring i may be....haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There’s indeed of a lot of videos out there already so why not being funny? It’s a slippery slope but I guess no one else is really being funny except LS those days?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rustywelton wrote:
Any thoughts welcome....

Thanks all

I watch a lot of YouTube triathlon content, and the one thing I see missing is a serious age grouper video series chronicling training in pursuit of a goal over a longer period of time.

We get race videos or the odd "day in the life" triathlon video, but not a serious non-professional chasing a time goal. Last one I remember was Full Diary following his then girlfriend doing Kona, and then his chase for a Kona qualification.

I'd definitely be interested in watching your chase for a sub-9 at Vichy!
Quote Reply
Re: New YouTube Channel??? [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am fairly certain I'm hilarious......
Quote Reply
Re: New YouTube Channel??? [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Kickr - that's something i would really like to do and is kind of what i started to do. Consistency is key i guess....im on it!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rustywelton wrote:
Thanks Kickr - that's something i would really like to do and is kind of what i started to do. Consistency is key i guess....im on it!!!

Great! So can you share the link to your YouTube channel so I can check out the vids?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please be yourself. Don’t be somebody or something you’re not and try to force it. I will tune out as quick as I tune in, if it looks forced and artificial. I think that’s why a lot of people became disenchanted with Triathlon Taren. He went from an average guy giving tips to beginners to a guy with several sponsorships pumping product promos at every corner. It evolved into something totally different than what made it successful. It appears he’s now trying to walk back some of this stuff by getting back to his roots. It has been much better recently, so kudos to him.

Documenting your story could be interesting. I’ll certainly check it out. Just don’t go the Ed Baker route with volume I, volume II, etc.

You can learn a lot from the missteps of other triathlon you tubers.

rustywelton wrote:
i am fairly certain I'm hilarious......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t get your panties in a bunch every time someone makes a comment/critique of one of your videos.
Quote Reply
Re: New YouTube Channel??? [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously at the moment I haven't really got in the flow......but you'll get jist….Thanks for giving it the time of day!!

https://www.youtube.com/...XxoY4X8UtzywWUdaO7Iw

YouTube: Ross Welton
Quote Reply
Re: New YouTube Channel??? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cheers for the feedback mwanner13. Its so true, I watched an Aussie mate of mine become a big youtuber and everything he did had to change from what it started as. I am very clear I don't want to be a 'YouTuber' and so I am not looking to make bucks or become a 'shill' - I say that now, I can imagine if this ever took off and im sat there in a Roka hat, Hoka shoes and riding a Ventum grinning like a slimy Cheshire cat.....
Quote Reply
Re: New YouTube Channel??? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring it on logella - I love a bit of comment/critique, my wife does it every hour of every day......haha
Quote Reply