Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to Confront Family Member With Depression
Quote | Reply
My mom. 75 y.o. Widowed 12 years, lives alone. Lifelong athlete, and still fitter than most 30 y.os. Super mentally sharp.

Over the past year or so she's changed drastically. Gained 30 pounds or so. (though still fitter than 99% of 75 y.o.s) Become withdrawn, often doesn't respond to my calls or texts. My sister thinks her house has become a mess because our mom refuses to have us over, presumably because of embarrassment. At a recent family event I caught her watching movies on her phone at odd times (when she should be talking with people) - something she's opposed to. She refused to let us have a TV growing up. She's become sort of angry, always making sarcastic comments.

She's insanely prideful. She angrily retreats from any discussion of health, particularly mental health. She historically sort of views people with depression as weak, and people who aren't fit as lazy. She does not like advice from her children.

I'm torn between using the tactics of just giving her continual positive nudges in the right direction or directly confronting her and reading her the riot act, even if she stops speaking to me for six months or something.

How is this handled?
Quote Reply
Re: How to Confront Family Member With Depression [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rather than reading her the riot act, maybe start with "Mom, I am worried about you..."

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has her hearing worsened? A lot of people find social interaction harder if they can’t hear. Hearing aids can make a world of difference.

Early dementia could also be a possibility.

There are many things other than depression that could lead to this.

Does she get regular check ups? I would tell her you are concerned and push her to see her doctor for a full work up. But I would not just straight to depression as a diagnosis.

Good luck- there lots of things like hearing aids and thyroid/ hormone issues that can can be easily treated to huge benefit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
My mom. 75 y.o. Widowed 12 years, lives alone. Lifelong athlete, and still fitter than most 30 y.os. Super mentally sharp.

Over the past year or so she's changed drastically. Gained 30 pounds or so. (though still fitter than 99% of 75 y.o.s) Become withdrawn, often doesn't respond to my calls or texts. My sister thinks her house has become a mess because our mom refuses to have us over, presumably because of embarrassment. At a recent family event I caught her watching movies on her phone at odd times (when she should be talking with people) - something she's opposed to. She refused to let us have a TV growing up. She's become sort of angry, always making sarcastic comments.

She's insanely prideful. She angrily retreats from any discussion of health, particularly mental health. She historically sort of views people with depression as weak, and people who aren't fit as lazy. She does not like advice from her children.

I'm torn between using the tactics of just giving her continual positive nudges in the right direction or directly confronting her and reading her the riot act, even if she stops speaking to me for six months or something.

How is this handled?

I'll be brutally honest, when I'm down, fuck everybody. The last thing I want is someone saying something to me about it.

That being said, you have no choice but to confront her and lend a loving hand. Don't use phrases like "I know how you feel" "We can get through it together" Bullshit and she knows it and will retreat further. Ask her if she'd would like to talk. Ask her if she would see a therapist?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by: Nova: Jun 5, 19 8:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://inkandfeet.com/...eone-with-depression

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can convince her to get to a doctor, then do so, preferably a gerontologist. She sounds sick from your description and the dementia or heart disease (both still happen to active people) should be considered.

Been there; done that with my mother and I wish you well.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean "refuses to have you over?" At that point, I'd be using my key and just stopping by for a visit. Thankfully my parents aren't at that point yet (and they live too far away to do that anyway) but I fully expect to be having to do that with my MIL at some point. I don't care if she will think that my wife and I are checking on her. Fact is, everyone needs other people around to function "normally" and it sounds like your mother is starting to lose that.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get her to the doctor because chances are she doesn't want to hear what you have to say. But coming from a doctor she may listen. That's how it works with my mom. She's lucky to have someone like you. So many kids can't wait for their parents to die so they can get their $$$$.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes in life it’s best to just accept that there are things that are completely out of you control.

This may be one of them.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's possible her old standards are impossible to sustain, and she's just said eff it, but doesn't have another way to be.

If this is it, she would do well to be with active older people who can be good role models.

If she has lost her bearings reading the riot act won't help.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Confront Family Member With Depression [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Rather than reading her the riot act, maybe start with "Mom, I am worried about you..."

I was exaggerating a bit. But on the other hand I actually think she'd prefer something direct and angry over anything remotely patronizing.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Confront Family Member With Depression [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Has her hearing worsened? A lot of people find social interaction harder if they can’t hear. Hearing aids can make a world of difference.

Early dementia could also be a possibility.

Vision and hearing are great.

I was understating her fitness. She's effectively a world class athlete, in some tiny fraction of a percentile for her age. Not a year ago she was scaling 14K foot peaks with a ~35lb backback solo on self-supported multi-week trips. Around 3 miles per hour, which is fast for anyone when backpacking. That's why the transition is all the more stark. My most recent hike with her (this past weekend) was much slower, which worried me, but that's clearly because she's now overweight (for her).
Quote Reply
Re: How to Confront Family Member With Depression [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
Don't use phrases like "I know how you feel" "We can get through it together" Bullshit and she knows it and will retreat further. Ask her if she'd would like to talk. Ask her if she would see a therapist?

Fully agree there. She has zero tolerance for bullshit or patronization. I will ask her if she'll see someone. She knows that her husband died young because he refused medical help until way too late, and also was probably depressed. She knows that and frequently brings it up. She just thinks the rules for her are different (and this is a common human failing - we all tend to be better at seeing flaws in other people than our own) That's sort of what I meant by "reading the riot act." She's repeating the patterns that should disgust her the most based on her history. Not seeking help, etc. I have an urge to bring that up directly.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Confront Family Member With Depression [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
If you can convince her to get to a doctor, then do so, preferably a gerontologist. She sounds sick from your description and the dementia or heart disease (both still happen to active people) should be considered.

Been there; done that with my mother and I wish you well.

I agree on seeing a doctor, but doubt this is predominantly physical per my above post about being a world class athlete. She would destroy many 20 year-old women at any physical activity. She's something like a very fit 40 year-old, mentally and physically.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Confront Family Member With Depression [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
What do you mean "refuses to have you over?" At that point, I'd be using my key and just stopping by for a visit. Thankfully my parents aren't at that point yet (and they live too far away to do that anyway) but I fully expect to be having to do that with my MIL at some point. I don't care if she will think that my wife and I are checking on her. Fact is, everyone needs other people around to function "normally" and it sounds like your mother is starting to lose that.

She's a 3-hour flight and 2-hour drive away. Remote coastal village. Moved there a couple years ago. So I don't go there unless it's clear I'm welcome (though I might for a confrontation). I think this is part of the problem. She moved there a couple years ago, and I think doesn't want to admit it was a mistake.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Confront Family Member With Depression [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Sometimes in life it’s best to just accept that there are things that are completely out of you control.

This may be one of them.

Sure, it might be. But I want to at least put an honest effort in first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
She moved there a couple years ago, and I think doesn't want to admit it was a mistake.

Ah... eerily similar to "I refuse to admit that voting for Trump was stupid" syndrome.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Duffy wrote:

This may be one of them.

Sure, it might be. But I want to at least put an honest effort in first.

I understand. I’d do, have done, the same. I hope your situation turns out better than mine did.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply