Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chuckie V Podcast [aarondavidson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply, but trust me, I have exhausted all information on the internet. Looking for personal insights to the man, but thank you for replying and for the bump.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V Podcast [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you may want to track down Bobo Anderson, I think they were good friends back in the day, Bobo posts on here infrequently.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For years I have been searching to find a copy of the post that used to be on ChuckieV's blog at blogspot.com. It was titled "Miles Make Champions". Is there anyone who might have a copy of it?

I used to post this link annually to my running club to inspire them to run. I would love to be able to post it again.

This was the link. It no longer works though

http://chuckiev.blogspot.com/...-make-champions.html
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V Podcast [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V Podcast [aarondavidson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V Podcast [Sun Wu Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I saw that in googling but I thought it was someone commenting on ChuckieV's post. Didn't realize it was the post itself.
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V Podcast [Sun Wu Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing mate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dark Mark wrote:
Greetings Slowtwitchers,

I am working on a long form, in-depth character study and investigation into the mind and current whereabouts of Chuckie V. If you have any stories, anecdotes, witticisms, criticisms, insights or otherwise thoughts you would like to share, please feel free to drop me a PM.

I am currently scouring the internet for his historical racing results, most notably those against the big 4. If anyone has information or links or old magazines/scans with these hard to come by results, please do reach out.

Respectfully,

Mark after Dark

Raced with him in Lanzarote '99. After the awards ceremony (he was 3rd I think) we partied at La Santa all night. Never went to sleep, caught a plane to Madrid and share a room in a hostel. Pretty epic couple of days.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V Podcast [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you race with Matt Belfield in 99?
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V Podcast [hollywood2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hollywood2 wrote:
Did you race with Matt Belfield in 99?

I believe he won that year. Killer cyclist. Might have been the only guy riding a disc that day.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any updates?
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V Podcast [trichris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your continued interest. Still pecking away at it but new baby and home improvement projects are getting most of my available bandwidth. Will post updates when available!

Internet User
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 loved your work on TRS radio!

I also wish I could find a classic 1 or 2 minute tv promo clip about Chuckie V... 10 inch mohawk that doubles as sundial, oakley sub zero sunglasses, yellow Slingshot bike, sleeping in a car with 200k miles (starts first time), and I believe paula newby fraser and wendy inghram swooning.... I had it on video somewhere and now I wish I had converted it for youtube.... Does anyone have it?
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V Podcast [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would also love this video. I have the Gatorade commercial but this sounds delightful.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply, but trust me, I have exhausted all information on the internet. Looking for personal insights to the man, but thank you for replying and for the bump.

I was on Lead Kayak Duty for the Announcing Team at Ironman Canada one year - radioing back to the land what was going on in the swim with the leaders.

I'm kayaking along next to Chuck, and he suddenly flips around, with out missing a beat, from freestyle front crawl, to back-stroke (I'd never seen anyone do that, that smoothing and quickly), looks over at me, and asks, "Yo, Steve, how much of a lead do I have"?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V Podcast [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:

I also wish I could find a classic 1 or 2 minute tv promo clip about Chuckie V... 10 inch mohawk that doubles as sundial, oakley sub zero sunglasses, yellow Slingshot bike, sleeping in a car with 200k miles (starts first time), and I believe paula newby fraser and wendy inghram swooning.... I had it on video somewhere and now I wish I had converted it for youtube.... Does anyone have it?
The clip you are talking about was part of the Ironman Hawaii 1993 coverage and starts at 39:18 here on the YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/...pCBZVyhjtw&t=57s
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V Podcast [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
lacticturkey wrote:

The clip you are talking about was part of the Ironman Hawaii 1993 coverage and starts at 39:18 here on the YouTube video.

Classic!
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V Podcast [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtremrun wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
lacticturkey wrote:

Classic!

You should have seen him podium dancing at the after-party in the "Element Nightclub" in Penticton after he won Ironman Canada in 1999.Now that was classic. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you sooooo much!!!!! I used to watch things like this before my runs when I started running as a kid, and wanted to show my son who is at the same age and also inspired with run training.... So was keen to share it but couldnt find it anywhere

Funny to see how much the sport has changed... That footage makes it look like a skate or surf contest

I could still see The colonel with a mohawk and biker glasses though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:

excellent, thank you..

just finished reading Chuckie's Appalachian trail journal, afaik the last public sighting..
https://alimpinthewoods.blogspot.com

he was planning a name change according to that,
also mentions the goal is to go off the grid somewhere in Utah, and/or going to S. America and not coming back.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is late, but I've spent about 3 weeks with Chuckie and his (ex)wife Charlie in the mid-2000's. We hosted them (they stayed with us race week) for Ironman Wisconsin (2004), and I attended two of his Solvang camps around that same time when they were just figuring it out. One of the funniest guys around. He did a slide show of his first PCT hike at the camps and had a lot of stories about his trip, training at the OTC where he transitioned from pro-cyclist to triathlete, nearly bonking on some California rides, him competing with Lance at the OTC (and running across and catching up with Lance out training with the USPS team who trained in the area too), and life in general. Looking through my emails, we had more interaction there and he was always generous with his time and advice.

One of my favorite rides I've done was with Chuckie, one of his coaches during that time (Coach Cal, forget his last name now), and one or maybe two other strong AG riders, and me. During a Solvang camp (probably 2004) we decided to 'jump into' a century that was going on in the area (I think the Solvang Century, and knowing Chuckie I doubt if we were registered). I know we started much later than everyone else and were pacelining through groups at 30 mph. It was all I could do to hold a wheel with these guys, but we must have heard 'car back' about 100 times as we were going by. Fun times. I wish him the best in whatever life has brought him. He was more like Chris McCandless than those triathletes chasing sponsorships and mainstream society.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Any updates? You don't happen to have copies of his blog entries from his tri/personal blog site? I would love to be able to re-read them now.
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V Podcast [trichris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

His report of walking The Pennine Way although entertaining and informative, was not what I would expect from a man with a 10" Mohawk.

http://cloudpennine.blogspot.com

Deceptively slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V Podcast [Speckled Hen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if anyone has been him in touch with him since the last post?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply

Prev Next