Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Typhus, Typhoid fever, trash, rats, human waste, plague....
Quote | Reply
Los Angeles...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/...gn=1490&ito=1490

The pictures in this article may be a surprise to some but I’ve been seeing this for years. Everyone who’s gone to or lives in LA has.

While I applaud the news outlets finally reporting on this it has been a major problem for at least a decade.

I work a couple sites near downtown and it’s truly a horrible situation. I’ll be working on systems to protect ground water with a LAFD inspector while a some dude shits on the sidewalk a few feet away with impunity.

And it isn’t like the city leaders aren’t aware of the problem. It’s literally right in front of them every single day...

https://www.latimes.com/...-20190603-story.html

Quote:
When faced with complaints earlier this year from city workers about rats infesting L.A. City Hall, most city officials said little about whether the problem was connected to several homeless camps right outside.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Typhus, Typhoid fever, trash, rats, human waste, plague.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, no one cares Duffy!

https://californiaglobe.com/...-industrial-complex/

This article describes exactly why CA can't get their Sh#t together...because they make building shelter a BUSINESS.

https://finance.yahoo.com/...eless-222900978.html

And that article...describes why the city of LA.....even with $619 million bucks,,,,can't put a dent in it.

On another note,,,LAPD cops are now being exposed to the vermin in that area and their station is infested with rats. Get soft on crime...get soft on homeless...throw money at it....whatdya get?
Quote Reply
Re: Typhus, Typhoid fever, trash, rats, human waste, plague.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in downtown last week. Getting from the federal building to the freeway was a true third world country. I’ve never seen it this bad in LA.

But, not to worry, Gavin Newsome will get right on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Typhus, Typhoid fever, trash, rats, human waste, plague.... [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
I was in downtown last week. Getting from the federal building to the freeway was a true third world country. I’ve never seen it this bad in LA.

It’s been bad (getting worse) for the better part of the last decade.

Seeing this with my own eyes down there and seeing the utter policy failures that are being reproduced here in Santa Barbara, us locals, business owners, some LEOs who are off record and now even some beach lifeguards have taken matters into our own hands.

I’ve had more than on RV try to set up camp in front of my house. I get them to leave as soon as I see them. I do not leave them alone until they’re gone.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
JD21 wrote:

It’s been bad (getting worse) for the better part of the last decade.

Seeing this with my own eyes down there and seeing the utter policy failures that are being reproduced here in Santa Barbara, us locals, business owners, some LEOs who are off record and now even some beach lifeguards have taken matters into our own hands.

I’ve had more than on RV try to set up camp in front of my house. I get them to leave as soon as I see them. I do not leave them alone until they’re gone.

Not much you can say other that this is really sad for the folks in CA that want to keep the state clean, livable and enjoy the natural beauty.

If the cops come down with Typhus, plague, legionaries, or any other host of diseases they should all sue the State and all go on strike until the shit get's cleaned up. How about having not a single cop in the City of LA for an entire week and see how that goes.

Pretty soon they will put up a fence and quarantine the entire state.

How do you take matters into your own hands? Bums camping all over the beach get the boot?
Quote Reply
Re: Typhus, Typhoid fever, trash, rats, human waste, plague.... [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

No, just LA, SF, SD, SC and a couple pockets in the OC.

Quote:
How do you take matters into your own hands? Bums camping all over the beach get the boot?

Make it clear that camping, living, shitting and pissing in public spaces that are used by civilized people who care about the environment we enjoy will not be tolerated for even 1 second.

Turning to the city for help only gets you vilified. I guess compassion means letting people (encouraging it actually) shoot heroin, accost tourists and locals, and shit on the sidewalk.

No compassion at all for those of us who pay to clean up the mees.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

No, just LA, SF, SD, SC and a couple pockets in the OC.

Quote:

Make it clear that camping, living, shitting and pissing in public spaces that are used by civilized people who care about the environment we enjoy will not be tolerated for even 1 second.

Turning to the city for help only gets you vilified. I guess compassion means letting people (encouraging it actually) shoot heroin, accost tourists and locals, and shit on the sidewalk.

No compassion at all for those of us who pay to clean up the mees.

Good for you. Hope the folks get tired of it and all join you.

My kids will be in SD at the end of the month and the plan was to then drive up the coast. Still leaning against it but may just spend some more time in La Jolla as they seem to have it figured out. Was there last June and it was spotless at the Hyatt and La Jolla beach.
Quote Reply
Re: Typhus, Typhoid fever, trash, rats, human waste, plague.... [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Santa Barbara > La Jolla.

Hit me up if you come through and we’ll get some mexican food.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Thanks for the offer. Will do.

Told my oldest kid he should check out UC Santa Barbara as I heard it's right on the water. Then saw the cost for out of state tuition.....no Bueno.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd miss out IMO. 90% or more of what you'd see on a drive from SD to LA is fine, and actually quite pretty. Drive up PCH along the coast, it's a beautiful drive and you won't see anything like what's in those pics. Then head [edit, west] on the 10 and hit Malibu up to Ventura and then Goleta, Refugio, SLO, Morro, Cambria to the north. One of the best drives around. La Jolla has its issues. Last year did the 10 mile relay and parking downtown at 5 am a couple homeless dudes, clearly high, walking around screaming at the top of their lungs.

But like anything, the press can portray something as pervasive when the day to day isn't really so for the huge majority of residents.

Not saying what is there isn't fucking awful - i mean those pics don't even do it justice. It's just that it's news even to us residents.

I live about 20 miles south of downtown, I drive in every day, get off the freeway, drive four blocks and park. I see the odd tent under the overpass but they get rousted pretty quickly (they always come back). Last year we went to the Arts District for dinner, a couple miles east of here, and Waze took us on one of these streets. I live and work here and OMFG it was awful. But I don't see that unless I seek it out.

Just my .02 living and working here.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jun 4, 19 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try hosting a dinner for the homeless. Blame them for everything. I've heard this tactic is proven to change the world for the better.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Thanks for the offer. Will do.

Told my oldest kid he should check out UC Santa Barbara as I heard it's right on the water. Then saw the cost for out of state tuition.....no Bueno.

Don’t forget to factor in the cost of living....

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Typhus, Typhoid fever, trash, rats, human waste, plague.... [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Try hosting a dinner for the homeless. Blame them for everything. I've heard this tactic is proven to change the world for the better.

I think they’re supposed to host me and I blame them for everything.

Wonder what they would serve. Suggestions welcome...

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Typhus, Typhoid fever, trash, rats, human waste, plague.... [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
//Then head east on the 10 //

Freudian slip. Homelessness and disease are to the east. Go west on the 10 to head towards Malibu.

I live in between SD and LA in a small beach community and the drive up the coast is very nice or even take the Amtrak.

You’ll see a lot of homeless in SC and Santa Monica but otherwise PCH is still a nice trip.
Last edited by: JD21: Jun 4, 19 13:28
Quote Reply
Re: Typhus, Typhoid fever, trash, rats, human waste, plague.... [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
//Then head east on the 10 //

Freudian slip. Homelessness and disease are to the east. Go west on the 10 to head towards Malibu.

I live in between SD and LA in a small beach community and the drive up the coast is very nice or even take the Amtrak.

You’ll see a lot of homeless in SC and Santa Monica but otherwise PCH is still a nice trip.

Haha, yeah, the other east :)

TBH, the Amtrak trip from SD up to SLO is pretty fantastic as well if anyone just wants to chill (there are a few iffy spots but you're speeding by on a train anyway)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As what others have said, a drive up PCH is pretty damn spectacular. Hopefully it won’t be foggy when you’re out here.

Seriously, the stretch between Cambria and Pacifica is one of the most amazing wonders of the world.

I say this as a lifelong heavily jaded resident of an absolutely wonderful place.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here’s a pic I snapped awhile back before jumping in for an evening surf.

Shot with my phone....

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here you go:

At least one officer with the Los Angeles Police Department has contracted the bacteria that causes typhoid fever, Salmonella typhi, and another one is showing typhus-like symptoms, the police department announced on Thursday.
The officer who had contracted the illness is being treated, and the other officer has yet to be confirmed to be infected, according to the LAPD. Both officers work at the LAPD’s Central Division, according to a statement released by the department.
Salmonella typhi is uncommon in the U.S. and other modern industrialized nations, affecting only about 350 Americans each year — most of whom recently returned from overseas travel. Worldwide, it affects an estimated 22 million people each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

https://abcnews.go.com/...ms/story?id=63371616
Quote Reply
Re: Typhus, Typhoid fever, trash, rats, human waste, plague.... [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup and a woman working at city hall contracted Typhus from fleas in the building. Fleas of which fed on the blood of rats who thrive off the giant fucking homeless camp right in front of city hall.

City “leaders” had an inspection of the building and “found no fleas”.

They did the inspection in the winter when fleas aren’t around.

Yes, she’s suing the city. Yet one more thing that the productive citizens of LA will have to pay for.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply