Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Cycling Dynamics - Anyone use the data to improve performance?
Quote | Reply
Garmin does not have any recommendation on what to do with the data afaik.... I could not find anything posted on ST or on the web.

Does anyone have any tidbits to share on the numbers below or how they have used the numbers to tweak positions? thanks in advance for any help.

Road Bike / Shoes
New shoes, trying to find the best position. After my first test run the cycling dynamic numbers showing the numbers below, from viewing the cleat is definitely not centered, so have adjusted that and need to do another test.

TT bike/shoes
These are segment of a recent race, 20 mins max power. My read is that the right cleat could be moved in towards the center line.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Cycling Dynamics - Anyone use the data to improve performance? [burner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's an interesting paradox... having all this data and trying to make good use of it.

I had my fitter over and we were looking at the same issue.

Tweaked the cleat location, shimmed the cleats, moved position... and still saw the offset.

One was 0 and one goes from 3 to 12 mm off.

Our conclusion was:
A. Tech is great, but don't find a solution looking for a problem.
B. Get the best position you can, ride, and if you don't have any ankle, knee or hip issues, why worry about 3 to 8 mm?
C. This may not be related to cleat position, but maybe more about pressure points of your feet. If you tend to be on the outsides, the pedal could sense that pressure shift and interpret is an offset issue. No one is symetric, so what's going on left and right might be a deficiency in your body.
D. It could also be an issue of the torque used to install the pedals. Couple Nm difference side to side and it could show up like that.

Get the fit dialed in.
No pain, great power position, left-right balance is good, RIDE ON IMO.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Cycling Dynamics - Anyone use the data to improve performance? [burner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think there's any real actionable data in the dynamics.
Take force offset from centre of pedal. Why is force through any point of the shaft superior to another point? How does this relate to Q factor of the cranks, is there a relation? if there is does it matter?
If Garmin thought any of these were actionable we'd know about it in bucket loads..
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Cycling Dynamics - Anyone use the data to improve performance? [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
totally agree with your assessment and insight. Also agree with the "Ride on" and not overthink it too much :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My right PCO is +35 to +40. Always. Like off the right side of the pedal (I think max is +35?). Different bikes, different shoes, same result.

My fitter said if I'm not having mechanical (ie knee / hip / etc) issues just leave it. But I'm still thinking it can't be good.

Left is usually +5 to +10 which I'm fine with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about using that data to set-up the a Q-ring (the new one could be adjusted by small increment)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a huge 35/65 discrepancy at low power. Found a loose cleat. Went back to 52/48.

Friend was able to track recovery after a leg surgery and muscle loss.

Other than that, no actionable information.
Quote Reply