Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Odds for Dirty Kansas
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know were the odds of getting a spot at the DK lottery.

I'm starting to the race i want to do next year... i just don't want to schedule the start of the season around something that i have 1/10 chance to to get a spot.
Quote Reply
Re: Odds for Dirty Kansas [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:

I'm starting to the race i want to do next year... i just don't want to schedule the start of the season around something that i have 1/10 chance to to get a spot.

Likely worse than the odds for getting into Dirty Kanza.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the rider meeting on Friday, I think Jim Cummins (RD) stated 5,000 entered the lottery for 2,750 spots across 4 distances:

DK 200 = 1,100
DK100 = 900
DK 50 = 500
DK25 = 250

I imagine most fo the people are entering the lottery for the 100 and 200. The selection process does give consideration to DK200 riders nearing the 1,000 mile club, area residents and women.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got in this year on my first attempt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:

I'm not sure of the odds of getting in via the lottery, but I know they're infinitely better than the odds of getting any of the Mens OA podium to show up for the awards ceremony...

https://twitter.com/.../1135179631332667393

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well the registration opens early january and mid-january they make selections for entry. So that's almost 6 months ahead of the race. Is that not enough time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't get in via the lottery last year, but I was able to easily find somebody selling a spot on a gravel forum. I did make it in to the lottery this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Odds for Dirty Kansas [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
well the registration opens early january and mid-january they make selections for entry. So that's almost 6 months ahead of the race. Is that not enough time?

There is at least other interesting race that sell out early (as in hours) that will conflict with DK... So if i decide to put my name in the lottery, i'm not doing that race next year.... no big deal, just need to make decisions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
mickison wrote:

There is at least other interesting race that sell out early (as in hours) that will conflict with DK... So if i decide to put my name in the lottery, i'm not doing that race next year.... no big deal, just need to make decisions.

you can transfer the slot for DK to somebody else if you change your mind. that should be easy considering how popular the race is.
Quote Reply
Re: Odds for Dirty Kansas [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
you can transfer the slot for DK to somebody else if you change your mind. that should be easy considering how popular the race is.

Good point, but i'm more thinking of the opposite.
Quote Reply
Re: Odds for Dirty Kansas [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also missed out on the lottery but found a spot on the transfer forum in March.
Quote Reply
Re: Odds for Dirty Kansas [tailgunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tailgunner wrote:
I also missed out on the lottery but found a spot on the transfer forum in March.

Is there a crazy aftermarket premium... or it's just face value?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put a post on the forum in January, the day the lottery results were announced. I offered to pay face value and the transfer fee(I think it’s like 30$)
I think charging a premium is frowned upon but it’s a sellers market.
Also: after I got in (and before I took my post down) I was contacted by 4 additional people looking to sell. I think your chances are good.
Last edited by: tailgunner: Jun 3, 19 16:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
mickison wrote:

Good point, but i'm more thinking of the opposite.

the other race doesn't allow you to transfer the slot or defer a year. DK you can defer a year but sounds like you have to pay entry fee both years for that if you defer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unconfirmed but I heard that the odds go up if you sign up as a 4 person team with one of them being female AND buy the jerseys. I live in the Kansas City area and every group that I've talked to that did that got in. I learned of one group just last night that did the team thing but didn't purchase the jerseys and they didn't get in.
Quote Reply