Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fertilize lawn?
Quote | Reply
Was just gifted a bag of Scotts Turf Builder for our lawn. We have weeds and enough dandelions for an army.

Is this Scotts stuff good enough and the right choice for lawn care or would be just the grass mulchings be enough to get the job done?

How environmentally safe is this turf builder?
Quote Reply
Re: Fertilize lawn? [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is this Scotts stuff good enough

Nope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never heard of grass mulching killing dandelions. Plus, I believe turf builder is more fertilizer than weed killer. The bag that is a Spring specific says it "Thickens lawns to help crowd out weeds."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't the staff take care of stuff like that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fertilizer will not kill weeds, get some roundup weed killer and kill kill kill...

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless it is Scott's Weed and Feed, it won't do anything for the dandelions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why do people feed the lawn?. the last thing i want is the grass to grow faster; all it does is create more work mowing it. Don't fall into the trap unless you want to give up your weekends. use one of those spray things that kills the weeds but not the grass, and stay away from anything else
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:
Was just gifted a bag of Scotts Turf Builder for our lawn. We have weeds and enough dandelions for an army.

Is this Scotts stuff good enough and the right choice for lawn care or would be just the grass mulchings be enough to get the job done?

If you want environmentally safe, try and get a bag or two of Milorganite. I used it for the first time this spring and the lawn is going nuts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
95% of the time in a "weed and feed" mix, you get a pre-emergent herbicide and a fertilizer usually in a ratio of 3:1:2 or 4:1:2 (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium).

Pre-emergent herbicides will not kill weeds that you can see. If you can see the weed, it is post-emergent meaning you need a post-emergent herbicide such as 24D or similar herbicide if you are selectively killing weeds.

There are some granular mixes that have post-emergent herbicide in them. Scott's may even sell one. However, typically post-emergent herbicide will be in liquid form.

For the strength of the herbicides that you can buy at your local home store, throw it on the lawn, then come back and put some post-emergent on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:

Why not pick the dandelions and make dandelion soup? They are one of nature's superfoods.
Quote Reply
Re: Fertilize lawn? [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Especially after some pre and post emergent herbicides.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Fertilize lawn? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:

First time I used Weed and Feed on a mixed content lawn, it killed half the shit I call lawn, and looked terrible for the next year or so.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Fertilize lawn? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:

This........is the right answer!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Fertilize lawn? [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just checked....it is the weed and feed.

All good to go on dandelions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:

WTF, dude? Why do you want to spread a bunch of herbicides, on your Alaska lawn that frankly will never amount to shit anyway?

All that crap will end up in the Inlet. Why bother?
Quote Reply
Re: Fertilize lawn? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
Especially after some pre and post emergent herbicides.

Adds flavor! Or, is it seasoning? Anyway, stay away from the stems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the bigger question is who would gift you Scott's Turf Builder. I think you deserve something far nicer.
Quote Reply
Re: Fertilize lawn? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
907Tri wrote:

WTF, dude? Why do you want to spread a bunch of herbicides, on your Alaska lawn that frankly will never amount to shit anyway?

Agree with this. Lawns are a waste of time and energy. To put herbicides on top of it is crazy town.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Fertilize lawn? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not true.

Do you know how often I need to mow my f$&@#ing dandelion field? Those things grow several inches a day, are unsightly, and annoy the neighbors. Way less maintenance to mow and fertilize the lawn.

I think my yard is beyond repair at this point. I've got to go scorched Earth with a bobcat and start fresh.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Fertilize lawn? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Not true.

Do you know how often I need to mow my f$&@#ing dandelion field? Those things grow several inches a day, are unsightly, and annoy the neighbors. Way less maintenance to mow and fertilize the lawn.

I think my yard is beyond repair at this point. I've got to go scorched Earth with a bobcat and start fresh.

You have a bobcat laying around?
Quote Reply
Re: Fertilize lawn? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Not true.

You have a bobcat laying around?

I have friends who own them or mini-excavators.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Fertilize lawn? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
eb wrote:
907Tri wrote:

Agree with this. Lawns are a waste of time and energy. To put herbicides on top of it is crazy town.

We have a small Italian area here downtown, about 2x3 blocks....every single house has converted (basically 80 years ago) their front yard into grapes, tomatoes, fruit trees. Every house is like a mini farm.

Really thinking of throwing a fence out front and doing the same.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Urea Nitrogen - just like pure dog piss. You need to dilute it or it will kill your grass. 1lb per 1,000 sq feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't use chemicals on your lawn! Ugh. Mow the dandelions down before they go to seed. They're gone by mid-June anyway. Grass has grown for how many years all on its own? Overseed with more grass if you have to, but chemical fertilizers and weed controllers (they aren't killers.. the weeds always find a way) just get into the ground water. Use a mulching mower and just let nature do its thing.
Quote Reply