Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's the Internet forum equivalent of being sectioned
Quote | Reply
There should be an equivalent of a section to protect both the individual and the wider community

Apropos of nothing. Just throwing it out there
Quote Reply
Re: What's the Internet forum equivalent of being sectioned [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you mean like restricted access so they can only post about bike aerodynamics in the Triathlon forum ?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: What's the Internet forum equivalent of being sectioned [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this point I'd take power cranks.........
Quote Reply
Re: What's the Internet forum equivalent of being sectioned [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't that what the Lavender Room already is, in a way? There's the tri forum, and then there's the zoo that is the LR, where the primates can shit in their hands and fling it at each other...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to assume you mean this definition of the word "section"

BRITISH
commit (someone) compulsorily to a psychiatric hospital in accordance with a section of a mental health act.

If so they should start a thread on something stupid, double down on stupid in that thread, and then unmercifully, but figuratively, be beat about the head and neck.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the Internet forum equivalent of being sectioned [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but in spite of being here since this forum started and for years in the previous one. I think we are approaching the point where the definition provided in the above post has been met
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't think Americans use "Sectioned" in the context of being compulsory detained under a section of the mental health act. I've been here 22 years and had to look up the equivalent.....and the suggestion was "committed"

i think each internet community is its own universe. The ST universe is a bit odd as all the crazy people are in the wide open space of the LR and the boring but sane ones have self sectioned themselves in the Tri forum for their own protection
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Yes, but in spite of being here since this forum started and for years in the previous one. I think we are approaching the point where the definition provided in the above post has been met

He certainly has been on a roll lately. There have been others in the past though who have at least met that level of crazy, if not exceeded it (see, e.g., Gurudriver).
Quote Reply
Re: What's the Internet forum equivalent of being sectioned [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's a concern of piling on to something that is self evidently not quite right
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yah. I've seen people dig in and double down on questionable positions many times in the LR, but this is sort of a different one. It's so self-manufactured and the opposition is so unified in its bewilderment at why he's insisting on lighting himself on fire. I feel bad even participating in this 2nd derivative thread about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe we should just all stop responding to BarryP.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: What's the Internet forum equivalent of being sectioned [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you chimed in. I never would have guessed who they were talking about.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the Internet forum equivalent of being sectioned [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That might help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe Sir Dan the Merciful can put him on a time out.

For his own good.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Maybe we should just all stop responding to BarryP.

I'm genuinely worried he has a like a brain tumor or something. Something isn't right. This is a dude who was clearly capable of thinking rationally, and considering gray areas, opposing thought, etc. That's just utterly gone.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the Internet forum equivalent of being sectioned [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've no idea what's going on but somethings not quite right and piling on usually does not end well

None of the behaviour is normal LR behaviour, it reads like I'm having a conversation with someone off their meds. That's not a throwaway remark, that's based on a decade of experience living with family on meds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
None of the behaviour is normal LR behaviour,

And that's not a very high bar.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the Internet forum equivalent of being sectioned [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is not
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see a number of threads are gone. I didn't read them as I'm tuning out the political and polemic stuff, so I really have no idea what you guys are talking about (and that is just fine). I am fond of the fellow, so I hope for the best for him.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply