Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Orca S7 vs. Blueseventy Sprint
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

Have my first sprint coming up in May, and so I'm looking for a wetsuit. It's in Toronto, and I've heard the temps in the lake can be pretty low (14C), so I'm pretty committed to a full sleeve at this point.

Understanding that its my first tri, I don't want to blow the bank on this suit, but at the same time, don't want to waste money on a low-quality product that I will be itching to replace in a few years. Another thing to consider is that I'm currently 6'1", 230 lbs. I've lost a bit of weight, and I have to think I will continue to drop as I continue my training. Hence my reluctance to spend too much on this first suit, in case the fit changes substantially. $300 CAD is my absolute upper limit, but anything less than that would be very appreciated.

My basic research has led me to the Orca S7 which is supposed to be great for first timers thanks to its extra buoyancy, and also the BlueSeventy Sprint, which I don't think is as buoyant. I know fit is king, but none of the shops near me carry these, so I have to go with online.

I can get the S7 in my size for $300 CAD+tax, but I can find the B70 Spring for $209. Is the S7 worth the extra cash? There's also the Orca OpenWater Core for $185, but I believe its more a training suit?

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Orca S7 vs. Blueseventy Sprint [kichu182] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought this one 4 years ago when i started with Triathlon. I had the same thoughts as you, didn't want to spend too much money on something i might only use a couple of times. Thought was to upgrade to something better if i wanted to continue with triathlon. Truth is that i am very happy with this one and am still using it. Have been using it from sprint up to full ironmans.

I don't have any reference to other wetsuits since i never tried another one(or found the need to).

https://www.wiggle.com/...it-wiggle-exclusive/
Quote Reply
Re: Orca S7 vs. Blueseventy Sprint [kichu182] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A $200 B70 is better quality than a $300 Orca. They are built like a Mack Truck, seams are glued & stitched & reinforced...never had a B70 seam come apart. Wife had Orca & yep, had to repair it. Plus, the Orca was really a tight fit & PITA to get into, vs same sizing of B70. I'd go B70 any day.
Quote Reply
Re: Orca S7 vs. Blueseventy Sprint [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
A $200 B70 is better quality than a $300 Orca. They are built like a Mack Truck, seams are glued & stitched & reinforced...never had a B70 seam come apart. Wife had Orca & yep, had to repair it. Plus, the Orca was really a tight fit & PITA to get into, vs same sizing of B70. I'd go B70 any day.

Who makes the B70? I'm looking for an affordable wetsuit and durability is my main concern. I dont want to buy a wetsuit and have it fall apart.

Nevermind, I get it. Blueseventy = b70
Last edited by: Jimmy21: Apr 16, 21 16:50
Quote Reply
Re: Orca S7 vs. Blueseventy Sprint [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:

might the tightness of the orca be why it got stretched too much and failed?
fit is not a right and wrong thing, just what works for you (or your wife in this case)
Quote Reply