Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which TV for 'more smoothness' in Zwift (running off Macbook pro 15" + Radeon GPU)
Quote | Reply
Am in the process of selecting an ideal TV for Zwift (decided not to go projector route, but got some good tips on the way.)

I hooked a 32" 720p Roku TV to my Macbook pro for the past week. It runs fine, but you can really notice the slightly increased choppiness compared to the native retina Macbook pro screen.

I'm not sure if it's the lack of screen resolution that's the bigger factor, or the screen refresh rate of the (cheaper) TV that's the limiter, but when I put the macbook pro right side by side with the TV both running mirrored screen Zwift, it seems to me that the macbook just looks smoother and natural, whereas the TV has more choppiness and microstutter. I guess I'd say that when I look at the Macbook pro screen, it looks buttery smooth and everything just glides by smoothly, much moreso than the TV. ALthough to be honest, if I hadn't seen that beautiful Macbook pro screen in the first place, I'd have probably be fine with it - but now I'm spoiled!

If anyone could chime in on if they found a 4k TV did the trick (brand?) or that I just need a 1080p TV with higher refresh rate, would be helpful. I guess the gold standard would be as compared to 4k gaming monitor (which I don't have). I also worry that with a 4k setup, I might need some special HDMI cables?
Last edited by: lightheir: May 23, 19 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: Which TV for 'more smoothness' in Zwift (running off Macbook pro 15" + Radeon GPU) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a newer MacBook Pro running Zwift. The screen on the laptop is one of the best out there. I would say get a 4k TV and try that. It's a huge jump from 720p to 4k. And it's almost hard to find a 1080P TV now anyway. Get it at Best Buy or Target so you can always return it if you don't like it.

Also, close the lid you're not tempted to look at the Mac while you ride :)

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Which TV for 'more smoothness' in Zwift (running off Macbook pro 15" + Radeon GPU) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look for a 120hz refresh rate. LG make most of the high quality OLED panels in the world just now, so if you're looking to invest in a good TV, take a look at those. Compared to your current setup...it's like going from an old Volvo to a Maserati.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roku TV is probably processing the input signal then re-rendering it on its screen. You need any TV that can act as a dumb computer monitor. Some TVs have a PC or video game setting. That's ideal when the input is a computer. Let the computer process the image and the TV just display it.

I hate to be That Guy, but Apple 'retina' doesn't mean anything unique. It just means high resolution screen.
Last edited by: Dilbert: May 23, 19 22:17
Quote Reply
Re: Which TV for 'more smoothness' in Zwift (running off Macbook pro 15" + Radeon GPU) [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP here with an update.

I ended up buying a 55" 4k TCL TV ($320ish) from Amazon as my dedicated bike/Zwift computer in my garage. The 4k vs 720p for Zwift riding up close is def better, and def adds to the fun and enjoyment of it all (Running on ultra settings Zwift.) I do think computer monitors would still be smoother/better (you can tell the Macbook pro monitor still looks smoother), but it's plenty smooth and the size is awesome. The audio on this large TV is surprisingly decent (even with Netflix), and more than enough for Zwift's minimal sound/music effects.

I bought a VESA stand for it so I didn't need to use a TV stand as wide as the TV, which also works great with the smaller footprint.

Bought an easy-to-assemble TV stand from Amazon that got the TV to just about the perfect height when my front wheel is 1.5-2 feet from the TV. It feels like I'm pretty close to the TV, but it does seems to enhance the immersion effect. In retrospect, I actually think you get pretty immersive already with 32" @ 4k (I only have 32" @ 720p) and sitting right up on the TV, but the extra size does help a little and lets you back up from the TV more.

Love my Zwift setup now, and love the riding - have been doing more riding than I have been in the last 5 years - nothing like being able to do a group ride/race with 350 other riders hammering away at 4AM Pacific time (Tour of Watopia) to motivate you, or thinking you'd mellow ride for 30 mins after the race on the London course, and then dropping FTP+ wattage as you get chased by 3 guys impromptu up Box hill!
Last edited by: lightheir: May 28, 19 9:42
Quote Reply