Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: John Wick 3 - Parabellum
Quote | Reply
I'll start by saying; if you're already a fan of the John Wick movies, you were going to see this regardless of any reviews. If you weren't a fan, nothing in this movie is likely to change your mind.

John Wick 3 starts, as the first sequel did, moments after the ending of the previous film. John has just been excommunicated from the secret society of criminals and assassins. He no longer has access to any special services or resources, and with only an hour until it's open season on him, John needs to get to safety so he can figure out a plan. As he heads on his way, little does he know that he's not the only one in trouble with the High Table. Those who have given him safe harbor or spared his life are also subject to discipline. As John sets out to find a way to earn back his freedom, can he trust the people he once considered friends? Or will he discover that as the saying goes, the only way out is through.

Wick 3 is mostly more of the same from the first films, ratcheted up again to another level. There are some really fun sequences that take the action to a higher level. The fight sequences with Wick and former colleague Sofia (Halle Berry) and her two German Shepherds are particularly cool. However, some of the weaknesses of the Wick formula are more evident in this movie than I remember from previous films. There are some pretty clear sections in which Wick is played by a stunt double (the hair just isn't the same as Reeves). There are also some fight scenes where it seems like Wick has temporarily completely forgotten how to fight, in essence so that the director could show off some cool fighting skills of the bad guys at Wick's expense. These movies have always shown Wick getting as much as he gives, but in this movie, there are some fight sequences where it just seems like someone told Reeves to just stand around and flail while someone else does a bunch of stuff to him.

The plot is pretty straightforward, continuing with Wick as the target of an increasingly higher level of crime boss, going through more and more difficult bad guys, and still kicking ass and taking names. There is a decent enough twist at the end of this film, as far as "twists" go in this genre of movie.

The acting is not Oscar level, but that's not what you paid the ticket price to get. Overall it's about on par with the previous movies, although the primary bad guy (Marc Dacascos - Chairman on Iron Chef America), is more annoying than typical cheesy bad guys. Halle Berry looks good as hell, especially considering she's over 50.

John Wick 3 is Rated R, and deserves it. As with the previous films, there's plenty of violence and blood, and some foul language. Not really much sex or nudity.

As I said at the beginning, if you already like the Wick movies, you're going to see this no matter what. If you weren't a fan, this one won't change your mind. If you could take it or leave it, this is a decent weekend action flick. Maybe something to go see instead of a comic book film.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: John Wick 3 - Parabellum [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As you watched it, did it have you thinking about a fight scene from Enter the Dragon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This one was what the prior two were: no expectation for plot, story or acting- and that's why Keanu is well cast- just non stop fighting. And on that it delivers. Mostly.

I was less impressed with the fighting and weapon handling in this one as compared to the prior two. It did seem less coherent and more forced. However, I agree that the fight scene with Halle Berry and her dogs was pretty slick.

I thought the high water water mark on fight scenes and weapon handling for the trilogy was in the the second movie in the catacombs.

There will be a fourth installment in the series in a couple of years. It will be interesting to see if Wick and Charon throw down.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was good and bad here;

SPOILERS

Let's not talk about plot because it really didn't exist other than to have a series of fights interlinked with some good chase scenes. The scenes with the dogs were tremendous, I would like to see them again. The Adjucator (sp?) was just ridiculous as were the constant shifts back to the odds board. We got it the first time, people want Wick dead. Definitely the worst of the 3 movies. I can't fathom why another Wick movie would be made except they score at the box office.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Last edited by: jkca1: May 23, 19 10:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liked the scene in the antique shop and all the throwing of the knives! I thought that was really well done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed the original. I feel like each sequel only set out to have more action than the previous movie.
In spite of that, I'm looking forward to 4 but only if it has more plot.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: John Wick 3 - Parabellum [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
I really enjoyed the original. I feel like each sequel only set out to have more action than the previous movie.
In spite of that, I'm looking forward to 4 but only if it has more plot.

Here's the plot for JW4: John and the Bowery King kick the shit of out of Winston (and perhaps, Charon) to take over or shut down the Continental.

Same amount of acting, dialogue and character development as the prior three- near zero.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: John Wick 3 - Parabellum [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
There was good and bad here;

SPOILERS

Let's not talk about plot because it really didn't exist other than to have a series of fights interlinked with some good chase scenes. The scenes with the dogs were tremendous, I would like to see them again. The Adjucator (sp?) was just ridiculous as were the constant shifts back to the odds board. We got it the first time, people want Wick dead. Definitely the worst of the 3 movies. I can't fathom why another Wick movie would be made except they score at the box office.

Is it just me or did she look too much like Paul Ryan?

It was still fun, and agree w/ most of the other comments... Halle’s dogs were badass, but I probably liked this the least of the 3 as the whole Secret Society business gets increasingly absurd and it all turns into more of a video game; it makes even the flimsy plot and character narrative of the first one seem like The Godfather by comparison. They really work best for me when they’re still grounded in just the faintest thread of the real world, whereas by this point they might as well be using laser beams and dragons or introduce a new secret time-travel portal. It’s just so over-the-top, why even bother hanging on to such quaint artifacts like gravity anymore?

The coolest part is just appreciating the craftsmanship of how they create the scenes, from the elaborate sets, to the fighting and/or chase action choreography, along w/ the music, etc. Whether it’s the cityscapes (both modern and medieval), the ballet theater, the desert, the secret lairs, etc, it’s all visually exquisite. That, and the obvious call-outs to other iconic films and giants of the genre like Matrix, Kill Bill, and even going back to Bruce Lee & Jackie Chan. They seem to land on the right side of the line between paying tribute vs cheap derivative more often than not.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: John Wick 3 - Parabellum [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last big fight scene (not the whole movie fight scene) was way way too long. Just get over it and kill someone. Anybody get a body count? The organization must be running out of guys pretty soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally got to see this- not bc i didn't want to before but bc I have young kids (9&6)who are always around and for some reason never go out at night. Huge fan of series and 1 & 2. 3 was ok, got what I expected but was underwhelmed with it compared to 1&2. Agree with everything said above but the one thing I was shocked by and that no one is mentioned is how in the hell did it take 57 minutes before there was a double-tap head shot??? That's his sig move and it took a 1/3 of the movie before he pulled it out.

Otherwise, I'll wait for 4 to come out and will watch 1& 2 again for fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: John Wick 3 - Parabellum [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a huge fan of Wick. I have watched 1 and 2 far too many times. Was tremendously excited for 3. I got what I wanted. Slowguy sums it up perfectly, as do the other comments.

I will say this - I watched Wick 3 for the second time the other night and picked up on a number of subtleties I missed. Also, this film is almost entirely fight sequences. I mean, the entire film. The ability to have non-stop fighting for that long a period of time and not get tedious or boring is incredibly impressive.

Yep, 3 was the "worst" of the franchise, but, it gave me what I wanted and I look forward to 4.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: John Wick 3 - Parabellum [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The horse kick was awesome
Quote Reply