Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

American slashes fees to check sports and music gear
Quote | Reply
Doesn't specifically call out bikes as being part of the reduction in fees but it also doesn't specifically say they are exempt either - unlike hang gliders, scuba tanks, and antlers. It would definitely have me trying my best to fly American if my bike only costs $30 from now on. I'm heading to HI on Friday and already lubing up for the $200 over-sized each way. fee on United.

https://www.cnbc.com/...nd-musical-gear.html
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: May 21, 19 7:28
Quote Reply
Re: American slashes fees to check sports and music gear [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The article says bikes, but yeah, I won't believe it until I see it. And just like how some cops don't know the bike laws, there will still be ticket agents for quite a while that don't know and will try like hell to charge the $150.

Looks like United led the way. Anybody had a $30 bike fee from them?
Quote Reply
Re: American slashes fees to check sports and music gear [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just looked at the American site and under bicycles it is specifically listed that they are charged standard checked bags fees as long as they are under 50 lbs. This is excellent news as so many airlines make it cost prohibitive to fly with your bike.
Quote Reply
Re: American slashes fees to check sports and music gear [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed where it specified bicycles - excellent!

I'm pretty sure all United did was reduce the cost for a surf board and only if traveling to California.

ZenTriBrett wrote:

Looks like United led the way. Anybody had a $30 bike fee from them?
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: May 21, 19 7:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless United just very recently changed again, their change to no “bike fees” is terrible. They charge your bike case as any regular price of luggage, so if it’s oversized (everything but the ninja style cases) then it’s going to cost you more than their old bike fee. Oversized baggage fee is $200. Plus they also then charge you for any other checked bags too, even if you have status and they would otherwise be free. So your other checked bag will also now cost you $30.
Quote Reply
Re: American slashes fees to check sports and music gear [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Doesn't specifically call out bikes as being part of the reduction in fees but it also doesn't specifically say they are exempt either - unlike hang gliders, scuba tanks, and antlers. It would definitely have me trying my best to fly American if my bike only costs $30 from now on. I'm heading to HI on Friday and already lubing up for the $200 over-sized each way. fee on United.

https://www.cnbc.com/...nd-musical-gear.html

If you can fly Alaska, they've been $25 for more than a year now and specifically call out bikes as part of it. I've been hoping other airlines would eventually follow suit.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: American slashes fees to check sports and music gear [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClarkWGriz wrote:
Just looked at the American site and under bicycles it is specifically listed that they are charged standard checked bags fees as long as they are under 50 lbs. This is excellent news as so many airlines make it cost prohibitive to fly with your bike.

Now the ST trolls can no longer attack the weight-weenies. They have a valid reason to go light.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just went to both American and Uniteds' websites.
United is under 50 lbs and 62 (L+W+H) inches to count as a normal bag.
American is under 50 lbs and 126 (L+W+H) inches to count as a normal bag

American uses the same rules for golf while United does away with the inch requirement totally.
(I thought cycling was the new golf)

So, American is a great improvement - most normal (Like the whole Thule line) bike cases will fit that limit.
United still sucks with that 62" limit.
Quote Reply