Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I heard you like race reports: My Pro Debut @ 70.3 St. George
Quote | Reply
Link to my blog post (Warning: not short)

I could copy paste this thing here but honestly with all the images I'm pretty sure it would be a mess. Definitely want to thank everyone who contributed to my Indian Wells 70.3 race report thread and who messaged me or commented with advice in regards to going pro. I definitely feel like I made the correct decision and I want to turn this into my career as soon as possible. I'm not a fan of working desk jobs.

Also as a bonus I've got a little teaser here of my new bike I'll be using for the rest of the year. I'm in way over my head building this thing up but I can't wait to shred with it at Eagleman 70.3 next month!

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: May 20, 19 11:46
Quote Reply
Re: I heard you like race reports: My Pro Debut @ 70.3 St. George [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your race and your first paycheck!!!

BTW, I love the look and the shoes (of course) of the old bike? I haven't looked into much of this bike, is it/will it be faster than your old bike.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: I heard you like race reports: My Pro Debut @ 70.3 St. George [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that the color scheme of both my original p3 and this borrowed Ceepo looked great. Thankfully this new one matches my kit well but my shoes and helmet will still be white so hopefully it all looks decent together.

I really have to believe the Shadow-R will be faster than anything I've ridden. I probably wouldn't have gone with it if I raced hilly courses but aside from St. George everything is pretty flat and fast. This will not be a light build. My main attraction of this bike though is honestly its uniqueness. I like wild looking bikes, and this is the very definition of wild. Would I have gone with it if we didn't have the connection to Ceepo? Probably not, but that would probably be more of a cost thing as we are still on a very, very tight budget. I'll be running 1x mechanical on this one due to budget reasons still haha.

And of course not in a position yet where any company is paying for wind tunnel time but if someone did want to see if this bike really revolutionizes things and has the means I'd be happy to make a trip!

Last edited by: realbdeal: May 20, 19 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: I heard you like race reports: My Pro Debut @ 70.3 St. George [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did you not follow Sam Long on the bike :-)
Quote Reply
Re: I heard you like race reports: My Pro Debut @ 70.3 St. George [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, I had to go back and check results to see what you meant. Yeah I guess I came out of the water right behind him but he put 20 seconds on me and transition and honestly I don't even remember seeing him up the road from me. Not that I would have been able to hang anyways, but I think that was the joke :P

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck at Eagleman! But not too much. Because based on reading this we may be spending a fair amount of time together on the course. ;-)

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the awesome race!

But that bike... don't forget to cut the fork :)

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: I heard you like race reports: My Pro Debut @ 70.3 St. George [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Congrats on the awesome race!

But that bike... don't forget to cut the fork :)
Thank you!

And actually I was planning on running 160mm of spacers so it'll probably stay as is!

Quote Reply
Re: I heard you like race reports: My Pro Debut @ 70.3 St. George [Feighathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feighathlon wrote:
Good luck at Eagleman! But not too much. Because based on reading this we may be spending a fair amount of time together on the course. ;-)

Ha! I'll see you out there!

Also I just read through your testing results blog post and wow! Your VO2 max is insane! Super interesting stuff. I'd love to get a panel like that done at some point as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Feighathlon wrote:

Ha! I'll see you out there!

Also I just read through your testing results blog post and wow! Your VO2 max is insane! Super interesting stuff. I'd love to get a panel like that done at some point as well.

$75 here in Grand Junction, CO. Come on over and we can throw some training in! I was actually pretty close to coming to Albuquerque for work/training but ended up here in GJ instead.

The data from the testing was definitely encouraging and gives me hope for the future too as I am able to focus more on training (and less on working). Thought about posting the results to ST, but then got lazy. I definitely geek out over that stuff but not sure if everyone else does to the same extent!

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super strong debut, Ben!!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could be utilized as the world's largest salt stick tab dispenser.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Loved your race report, but you need to get a PM. The only thing that matters in a tri is NP (you can get away with AP but who would want that). Will add your blog to favourites.

Can you give us some data like 5/10/20/30/60 min pr power output, best 5k/10k run and something like 400/800/1000m time trial in the water? Fresh pores are always fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race. It’s refreshing to hear that I’m not the only one that poops 3+ times on race mornings...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like a good story and you told yours well. Congratulations on your results and please continue to post your results as you did this time.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice race! and congrats on the pro debut!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do like race reports! Thanks for writing a good one, and congrats on the great pro debut.

I'm looking forward to following your career. Though, I'm not sure how I feel about that bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats.
To be able to run the end like that with calves cramping is impressive. I can fight most cramps but once the calfs cramp, it feels like I got shot and it becomes damage control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"My watch shows my first two miles as 5:42 and 5:40 with a total elevation gain of 190ft. I actively dropped my effort as I knew that probably wasn’t going to be sustainable. My next mile was 6:22 with 225ft of gain"

Man these reports are always so humbling. Great report and attitude towards professional triathlon, looking forward to following your career!
Quote Reply
Re: I heard you like race reports: My Pro Debut @ 70.3 St. George [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
Loved your race report, but you need to get a PM. The only thing that matters in a tri is NP (you can get away with AP but who would want that). Will add your blog to favourites.

Can you give us some data like 5/10/20/30/60 min pr power output, best 5k/10k run and something like 400/800/1000m time trial in the water? Fresh pores are always fun.

I do have a power meter but since I was borrowing a bike for this race, I didn't want to bother with converting it from bb386 to mega exo temporarily so just raced without power. I definitely want to have power back for a flat course like Eagleman though.

Im currently at 1091/5sec, 552/1min, 400/5min (old), 351/10min, 344/20min, 301/60min (this was just a few days ago as part of my all time 90min effort), 292/90min.

Running times are kind of less clear. My speed definitely feels gone. My 5k PR is still from high school when I ran 15:53 a few times on hilly grassy courses. I don't do many all out, open running races.

And then swim wise I haven't done many true time trials recently but most of my swimming is SCY and I'm guessing I could go 4:25 or so for a 400 and 11:30 or so for a 1000.

Quote Reply
Re: I heard you like race reports: My Pro Debut @ 70.3 St. George [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Congrats.
To be able to run the end like that with calves cramping is impressive. I can fight most cramps but once the calfs cramp, it feels like I got shot and it becomes damage control.

I definitely paid for it in the week after. I actually have this problem after every 70.3 where my calves are just in extreme pain (well more soreness/tightness) for at least a week after racing. I try to stretch and stuff but I don't ever get it except for post race. Not sure if it has something to do with the interaction of my bike fit and then running or if I have weird running form or something. Its a little bit frustrating because even when I want to get back to training it kind of limits me.

Quote Reply