Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hey wanna go to the prom?!
Quote | Reply

So dumb.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/...Photo-509955431.html

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Hey wanna go to the prom?! [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unbelievable. I don't understand what they were trying to accomplish with that, and certainly can't fathom how they thought it was funny or smart, or anything other than stupid and racist.

Because they thought to publish it, it will follow them around from some time.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey wanna go to the prom?! [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it’s Palos Verdes....

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a reason we don't let minors sign contracts or hold them responsible for criminal activity the same as with adults. Astounding how dumb they can be.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey wanna go to the prom?! [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
There is a reason we don't let minors sign contracts or hold them responsible for criminal activity the same as with adults. Astounding how dumb they can be.

My 13 yr old daughter just gave a “Ted talk” at her school about raising the voting age cos teens are dumb. I’m kinda starting to agree with her...
Quote Reply
Re: Hey wanna go to the prom?! [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
j p o wrote:

My 13 yr old daughter just gave a “Ted talk” at her school about raising the voting age cos teens are dumb. I’m kinda starting to agree with her...
I read an interesting take on this last night. Essentially it boiled down to, “Let it vary by state, and have the voting age be the same as the minimum age that you can be tried as an adult.”
The author that I was reading stated that some states will allow someone as young as 8 years old to be tried as an adult (though I’ve not confirmed this.
I get it though. You don’t tell a ten year old, “you are old and responsible enough in this court to be considered an adult,” and then turn around a 17 year old at the voting booth.
And if you really think teenagers are not intelligent enough to be voting, then raise the age to be tried as an adult.

I’ll admit, the idea has flaws, but it’s an interesting concept of making sure things are fair and equal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The photo you attached in the OP looks photo-shopped wit the black letters, and reading the article, it seems to support it. Girl said she didn't notice the highlighted letters of the slur at first. Still dumb thing to do regardless of how it appeared.

But I guess circulating a doctored picture to make it visually more shocking is standard these days.

Quote Reply
Re: Hey wanna go to the prom?! [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
The photo you attached in the OP looks photo-shopped wit the black letters, and reading the article, it seems to support it. Girl said she didn't notice the highlighted letters of the slur at first. Still dumb thing to do regardless of how it appeared.

But I guess circulating a doctored picture to make it visually more shocking is standard these days.

My understanding is that this is the actual photo from the dude’s social media feeds.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:

You bring up a good point. The "font" for the black letters looks like a digital font, whereas every other letter is obviously handwritten. I bet the original placard that she is holding looks nothing like that. Now the question is did the guy in the photo go in and do that, or did someone else?
Quote Reply
Re: Hey wanna go to the prom?! [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
You bring up a good point. The "font" for the black letters looks like a digital font, whereas every other letter is obviously handwritten. I bet the original placard that she is holding looks nothing like that. Now the question is did the guy in the photo go in and do that, or did someone else?
Go to the dollar store and get party stencils, they could be pasted on. Plus the "Bianca you are racist... blah blah".. these two are first-class morons.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey wanna go to the prom?! [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
Go to the dollar store and get party stencils, they could be pasted on. Plus the "Bianca you are racist... blah blah".. these two are first-class morons.

Local story just up the hill from me. As Duffy said “it’s Palos Verdes”, pretty racist and exclusive, these stories pop up all the time. They don’t like outsiders up there

I’ll take the bet that this is fake. Easy money
Quote Reply
Re: Hey wanna go to the prom?! [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
ripple wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Local story just up the hill from me. As Duffy said “it’s Palos Verdes”, pretty racist and exclusive, these stories pop up all the time. They don’t like outsiders up there

I’ll take the bet that this is fake. Easy money

To be clear, i was just saying that the black letters look to be photo-shopped on, that is all.

I do think there are hand-written letters underneath them that were underlined, or highlighted or something like that to still call attention to the slur.....just not the big black stencil letters they appear to be. I think someone added that to the picture we see to make it more obvious.

The picture just looks very odd to me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sooooo. The original sign says “Nxxxxx” but the ink isn’t as dark, and it’s more “shocking” because you think someone photoshopped it.

That was your point? Why isn’t it shocking enough as you think it originally appeared?
Quote Reply
Re: Hey wanna go to the prom?! [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
triguy101 wrote:
j p o wrote:

I read an interesting take on this last night. Essentially it boiled down to, “Let it vary by state, and have the voting age be the same as the minimum age that you can be tried as an adult.”
The author that I was reading stated that some states will allow someone as young as 8 years old to be tried as an adult (though I’ve not confirmed this.
I get it though. You don’t tell a ten year old, “you are old and responsible enough in this court to be considered an adult,” and then turn around a 17 year old at the voting booth.
And if you really think teenagers are not intelligent enough to be voting, then raise the age to be tried as an adult.

I’ll admit, the idea has flaws, but it’s an interesting concept of making sure things are fair and equal.

That's a dangerous slope to navigate. You can't really use "dumbness" as a criteria to exclude people from voting, or we'd be excluding wide swaths of the population:

Are you going to age out of voting eligibility in your 80's?
Should you have to pass an IQ test?
A civics test?
Political correctness test?
Felony convictions?
Drug screens?

There would be nothing left of the democratic party.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Sooooo. The original sign says “Nxxxxx” but the ink isn’t as dark, and it’s more “shocking” because you think someone photoshopped it.

That was your point? Why isn’t it shocking enough as you think it originally appeared?

I have an aversion to being presented with photoshopped/fake pics, quotes out of context, or other similar things that do not allow me to judge for myself, the original situation.

Are these two messages from the kid holding the sign the same to you?

Original version: "Bianca You are racist. but I would give anything for you to go with me to Prom"

Photoshopped version: "BiaNca You are racIst. but I would Give anything for you to Go with mE to PRom.

To me, they are not.

I just want to be able to judge and react to "news" based on un-doctored "facts".

I have no idea what was under those photoshopped letters, they could very well be bold/highlighted to say exactly what the photoshopped version says. And there was not much difference between the two.

Also, the verison posted by Duffy here may very well be the real sign. I was just calling out it looked doctored to me. And if so, then I want to know what is underneath.

Quote Reply
Re: Hey wanna go to the prom?! [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
Koala Bear wrote:
triguy101 wrote:
j p o wrote:

That's a dangerous slope to navigate. You can't really use "dumbness" as a criteria to exclude people from voting, or we'd be excluding wide swaths of the population:

Are you going to age out of voting eligibility in your 80's?
Should you have to pass an IQ test?
A civics test?
Political correctness test?
Felony convictions?
Drug screens?

There would be nothing left of the democratic party.
I completely agree with you on that. I’ve met 16 year olds that blow a 40 year old out of the water, as far as common sense goes, and I’ve met 16 year olds that make me wonder how they haven’t died yet, of their own or others actions. So yes, “dumbness,” isn’t a realistic voting measure.

The author and point I was referring to were more in line with pointing out the double standard of the voting age and sentencing children as adults.

But I’ll agree, it can get very messy very quickly...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, so you are in fact saying it's a fake. I.e. someone else photoshopped the sign to make the kid look bad.

I still take that bet. It's pretty clear form the sign and spacing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
OK, so you are in fact saying it's a fake. I.e. someone else photoshopped the sign to make the kid look bad.

I am not saying it's fake for sure, i'm asking the question, b/c it looks doctored to me. It may be real, exactly as we see it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

I am not saying it's fake for sure, i'm asking the question, b/c it looks doctored to me. It may be real, exactly as we see it.

Maybe it's the screens I'm viewing it on (phone and laptop) but I'm not seeing where the pic looks shopped/doctored. Just looks like (as somebody - Ripple? - mentioned above) they took cut-out black letters and pasted them over the appropriate letters on the sign to emphasise them.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey wanna go to the prom?! [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Endo wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

Maybe it's the screens I'm viewing it on (phone and laptop) but I'm not seeing where the pic looks shopped/doctored. Just looks like (as somebody - Ripple? - mentioned above) they took cut-out black letters and pasted them over the appropriate letters on the sign to emphasise them.

Doesn’t matter (if reports are accurate).

The kid holding the posted it on his own social media as you see it above, again if the reporting is accurate.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
triguy101 wrote:
j p o wrote:

Wow, that's almost verbatim what I've said to someone before about the voting/trying as adults thing.

The one point I always want to add is, if they're under 16.......put up the parents for the crime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
triguy101 wrote:
j p o wrote:
I read an interesting take on this last night. Essentially it boiled down to, “Let it vary by state, and have the voting age be the same as the minimum age that you can be tried as an adult.” The author that I was reading stated that some states will allow someone as young as 8 years old to be tried as an adult (though I’ve not confirmed this. I get it though. You don’t tell a ten year old, “you are old and responsible enough in this court to be considered an adult,” and then turn around a 17 year old at the voting booth. And if you really think teenagers are not intelligent enough to be voting, then raise the age to be tried as an adult. I’ll admit, the idea has flaws, but it’s an interesting concept of making sure things are fair and equal.
See I would go the opposite. If you brain isn’t developed enough for things like drinking, then you have should’nt be able to vote. Alternatively, if your parents still claim you as a dependent, you shouldn’t be allowed to vote.
Quote Reply