Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wow, a Trump administration proposal I 100% support
Quote | Reply
https://www.politico.com/...-immigration-1421542

You want to have an impact on illegal immigration? Forget walls. Cut the snake off at the head - mandatory eVerify. Can't see it actually happening given the farming, construction, etc lobbies, but that IMO is the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Wow, a Trump administration proposal I 100% support [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s a to like about it. There’s a lot there that I think a large majority of Americans would support. Therefore, it will be DOA.
Quote Reply
Re: Wow, a Trump administration proposal I 100% support [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/09/white-house-mandatory-e-verify-employees-immigration-1421542

You want to have an impact on illegal immigration? Forget walls. Cut the snake off at the head - mandatory eVerify. Can't see it actually happening given the farming, construction, etc lobbies, but that IMO is the way to go.

so have they fixed it? over half of illegal aliens are not caught when they are checked through the system. And many valid workers are denied work. Is it really worth it? this was based on a 2015 article.
Quote Reply
Re: Wow, a Trump administration proposal I 100% support [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
tigermilk wrote:
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/09/white-house-mandatory-e-verify-employees-immigration-1421542

so have they fixed it? over half of illegal aliens are not caught when they are checked through the system. And many valid workers are denied work. Is it really worth it? this was based on a 2015 article.

Yes, it is worth it. You have to start somewhere, and learn/fix the flaws as you go. Kind of like building software. You know there will be bugs, but you develop it anyway, release it and make it better.
Quote Reply
Re: Wow, a Trump administration proposal I 100% support [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It''s been around or 23 years. how much longer is it going to take to be more than 50% accurate?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
It''s been around or 23 years. how much longer is it going to take to be more than 50% accurate?

So wait, are you telling me the federal government can’t get this to work right after over 2 decades?

Those people should definitely be running our healthcare system...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Wow, a Trump administration proposal I 100% support [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So wait, are you telling me the federal government can’t get this to work right after over 2 decades?

Or schools, infrastructure, FDA, police or the military?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:

But would Trump use it on the businesses/properties he owns?
Quote Reply
Re: Wow, a Trump administration proposal I 100% support [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Or schools, infrastructure, FDA, police or the military?

Schools are mostly doing pretty bad.

Infrastructure (at least here in California) is horrible.

FDA is barely doing its job....
https://www.foodengineeringmag.com/...facility-inspections

Police are wantonly murdering black people across the land!!!

Military wastes unfathomable sums of money.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Wow, a Trump administration proposal I 100% support [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And this...

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:

Mandatory E-Verify is the most efficient solution. Stop the ability to be employed and you will stop the illegal immigration. I hope they implement it. But I also think the employers in the U.S. are going to shit a brick if they try to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
patf wrote:

In 2002 my current employer ran E-Verify on me, as well as a standard background check. I had just retired from the USN and held a security clearance.

Background came back good. E-Verify came back "Not a US citizen." I was born in Northern Indiana. I agree that area is just a little better than a 3rd world country in many respects, but it is still part of the US last time I checked.

We still run E-Verify, and it has gotten better, but you can't rely on it yet. You still need to do your own back ground. Making it mandatory would be fine, but making that check the gold standard for a yes or no hiring decision would be a disaster as it exists right now.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Wow, a Trump administration proposal I 100% support [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Besides being not accurate, it will only be as good as the documentation job seekers provide. You would have thought yours was impeccable, but you had problems. In other cases we hear businesses are not allowing employees to question the provided documents. Perhaps they look faked, but they might get sued if they question whether someone is a citizen or legal worker. In an era with sanctuary cities and sanctuary states, what makes us think they can stop the cheating? Massive parts of the country have no interest in sending people to their home countries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
You would have thought yours was impeccable, but you had problems. In other cases we hear businesses are not allowing employees to question the provided documents. Perhaps they look faked, but they might get sued if they question whether someone is a citizen or legal worker. In an era with sanctuary cities and sanctuary states, what makes us think they can stop the cheating? Massive parts of the country have no interest in sending people to their home countries.

There is a lot of misinformation here.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
Quote Reply
Re: Wow, a Trump administration proposal I 100% support [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
patf wrote:
You would have thought yours was impeccable, but you had problems. In other cases we hear businesses are not allowing employees to question the provided documents. Perhaps they look faked, but they might get sued if they question whether someone is a citizen or legal worker. In an era with sanctuary cities and sanctuary states, what makes us think they can stop the cheating? Massive parts of the country have no interest in sending people to their home countries.

Don't let a 17 year old anecdote be the justification for not acting.
Quote Reply
Re: Wow, a Trump administration proposal I 100% support [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
trail wrote:
patf wrote:

Don't let a 17 year old anecdote be the justification for not acting.

I mean really... I haven't seen anybody at all on either side claim it's THE solution and try to dismiss its shortcomings. But what's the alternative? So it's not foolproof enough, let's put it back on the shelf and just keep doing what we're doing now which EVERYONE agrees universally is just peachy and not in need of something different. Definition of insanity and all that. Not often I agree w/ velocomp, but absolutely, let's roll with SOMEthing else that shows potential and then try to make it better as we go.

Patf - is the status quo seriously worth clinging to here? Since when are you defending the current system?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:

Where did you get that statistic? Did you just make it up?

Here's something perhaps a little more up to date:
https://immigrationforum.org/...r-rates-in-e-verify/

Seems like E-verify has become much more accurate over the years.

Also, E-verify tentative non-confirmations can be contested. An employer cannot rescind or terminate employment simply because one is issued, if the employee contests it. I haven't heard or read of cases where someone legitimately eligible to work was not able to successfully contest a case. The process may take time, but employers are prohibited from terminating an employee for a non-confirmation while it is being contested. Perhaps more protections can be put in place, if necessary, but the process seems to work now as it is.

Of course, E-verify will not detect a stolen identity if the person who's identity has been stolen hasn't locked it down, like you can do with a credit card or a credit report. And making it mandatory may increase identity theft, as that may be the one way to get around the system. Of course, the current system can't catch fraudulent identities very well either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
patf wrote:

Leave it to Duffy to take a dubious comment and use it to try to change the topic to one of his pet issues. Like he's never made that same comment before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
Besides being not accurate, it will only be as good as the documentation job seekers provide. You would have thought yours was impeccable, but you had problems. In other cases we hear businesses are not allowing employees to question the provided documents. Perhaps they look faked, but they might get sued if they question whether someone is a citizen or legal worker. In an era with sanctuary cities and sanctuary states, what makes us think they can stop the cheating? Massive parts of the country have no interest in sending people to their home countries.

I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about.
Quote Reply
Re: Wow, a Trump administration proposal I 100% support [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was searchin on does e-verify work and found a Cato Foundation article. They are a group that has a liberal view on immigration, but conservative or libertarian on other issues.

"E-Verify is worse than a coin toss at identifying known illegal immigrant job seekers — 54 percent of illegal workers run through E-Verify are approved for work."

https://www.cato.org/...-illegal-immigration
Quote Reply
Re: Wow, a Trump administration proposal I 100% support [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
patf wrote:

I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about.
Two of you have dismissed this and made no comment of substance.

Do you think cities / states that are Sanctuary state/cities have any interest in getting illegal aliens out of this country?

Do you not see how an employer will take documents without questioning if they are real? Would you not advise clients to not question employee's work status if they provided questionable documents? Wouldn't there be a huge downside for the company if they are found to be questioning documents? I would suspect it could be a big PR incident or lawsuit if found they question a legitimate worker for documentation and then it turns out they were valid documents.
Quote Reply