Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRAM derailleur without serial number
Quote | Reply
Took an Apex 11 derailleur that was an OEM part from a major bike brand in for warranty today.

They weren't going to warranty it because it didn't have a serial number. This usually means the derailleur is fake? I eventually got a replacement derailleur but... WTF.

The bike has never been out of my site for maintenance where a derailleur could be swapped in. Well, maybe for a couple of mins... but who would do that?

I came home and verified the rest of the groupset has serial numbers.

Any SRAM experts have any idea?
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM derailleur without serial number [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did SRAM say? (assuming you contacted them as well).

It would be interesting as they would have an interest in protecting their brand.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM derailleur without serial number [Bianchi928] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The shop deals with the SRAM distributor in Canada. They just told me they needed a serial to do the warranty.

I think they thought I was trying to scam them. It's an f-ing Apex derailleur. They can't be that costly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never heard of counterfeit SRAM derailleurs (carbon frames, sure..), but I guess it does happen.

I find it odd that they engrave the SN on the jockey, the most breakable/replaceable part of the derailleur.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM derailleur without serial number [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
Never heard of counterfeit SRAM derailleurs (carbon frames, sure..), but I guess it does happen.

I find it odd that they engrave the SN on the jockey, the most breakable/replaceable part of the derailleur.

I thought so too... I'm just baffled by how this could happen with a huge bike brand. The LBS is trustworthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very odd. This is definitely something to hand over to your LBS and let them deal with it. You shouldn't be caught in the middle of these shinanegans.

It looks like this isn't a counterfiet issue per se, but rather a grey market problem. Here's an example of a grey market seller explaining why the SN has been scratched off. I guess the real problem is that SRAM can use the SN to trace the derailleur back to the seller/distributor and cut off their supply.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM derailleur without serial number [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the LBS credit, they gave me a derailleur from a bike on the sales floor and are going to try and deal with it.
The SN wasn't scratched off, it looked like it never existed on this particular derailleur... just clear black paint.
It will remain a mystery...
Quote Reply