Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should I do a half marathon on Saturday
Quote | Reply
On Sunday, I developed a bad sore throat, which turned into a bad cold on Monday. On Tuesday, I had a low grade fever and really body achy/ soreness. I didn't do any exercise Sunday or Monday. I swam Tuesday primarily to warm up muscles, which helped the soreness. I jogged three miles this morning to see how my body would respond and I felt ok at a very slow pace. Other than possibly a short swim and stretching, I don't plan on doing anything prior to Saturday. With kid/ family commitments, I only do 3-4 races a year and would like to give it a go if all possible. thoughts...
Quote Reply
Re: Should I do a half marathon on Saturday [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you answered your own question.

Just keep expectations reasonable and make sure you recover well.

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran Boston, this year, while sick. I slept a ton and did my best to get myself as well as possible given the circumstances.

I gave it my best. Took a Tylenol 2 hrs before. Wish I took it closer to start time. I sucked on cough drops most of the race.

I was good for about two of the three hours and it sucked big time for the last 8 miles.

I was sicker in the days after the race than I was before. But totally worth it.

Missed my goal time by <4 minutes. I would like to think I would have hit my goal if I wasn’t sick. I still made a PR of ~4 minutes.

Give it your best effort and judge yourself accordingly.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are congested, watch your HR. Easy to red line quickly. For 1/2 mary, it's probably ok but it will slow you down some.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to give the other side of things. It's a risk, you might do well and be fine. You might have a bad race and make yourself worse.

Only you can balance the risks because we put our own value on a race. Maybe it's because I'm getting older but what I really want, in running, is consistency. The big picture is that I'll be a better runner and have better races if I can get consistency. Personally I'd rather have any one race given a good long interrupted build up than just getting to 4 start lines with a stop start build up to each. Of course you can't know how the half will impact your illness but it won't make it better. Also you can pretty safely say you won't run to your full potential in this half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a half early this year a week after my daughter was born. She shouldn't have been born until at least a week after the race her decision to enter the world early led to a lot of time at the hospital and very little sleep even before her arrival. I could walk to start line from my house so I decided to give it a go even though I was in no condition to really race. I don't regret the decision but I wasn't able to keep mentally strong and had pretty much checked out 7 miles in. One of the nice things about a half is that you can give it a go and if its not happening still cruise to the end without destroying yourself.
Quote Reply