Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Email a video introduction with a CV
Quote | Reply
Someone I know submitted a CV for a medical secretary role. They received an email that included:

"We'd like to give you the opportunity to showcase your application by recording a short 60 second video introduction."

Has anyone done (or asked for) something like this? What do you think is the best approach? Note I've already tossed up 'slutty nurse outfit'.

Would you keep it serious and to the point or try and inject some personality/humour? How much of this is likely to be about whether the candidate is enjoyable to work around etc?
Quote Reply
Re: Email a video introduction with a CV [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the concept is moronic. She should politely decline and move on to a legitimate company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does make you wonder what qualities they are looking for. Maybe it is above board and they want to see someone who speaks well and appears friendly. Or maybe they want to use it to find someone who is physically attractive and flirtatious.

If your friend wants the job, I'd say go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Email a video introduction with a CV [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
I think the concept is moronic. She should politely decline and move on to a legitimate company.

Agree with this. Unless the company is very far away, like overseas, then maybe. Maybe. They can talk via Skype. If they are in the same town your friend should ask for a face to face meeting or find a different company.
Quote Reply
Re: Email a video introduction with a CV [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I agree. The CV should be sufficient to gain the interview at which time they can make their in person assessment.

I just wondered if it was a thing these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
welcome to the future. Why waste time bringing in a candidate for an outward-facing job that looks good on paper but presents terribly?

I don't like it much, but I get it.
Quote Reply
Re: Email a video introduction with a CV [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you mean, "Why bring in someone who's resume looks good but they are not physically attractive enough for my liking?"

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Email a video introduction with a CV [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right!

or young, clear-skinned, or extrovert enough. All that gets judged in live interviews too, this just cuts to the chase.
Quote Reply
Re: Email a video introduction with a CV [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
welcome to the future. Why waste time bringing in a candidate for an outward-facing job that looks good on paper but presents terribly?

Let me present you with the concept of Instagram and Vine. People can blow time doctoring up little snippets to present a totally fake and unrealistic portrayal of themselves versus reality. They do it all the time with social media and are experts at the deception.

So, you get a complete fabrication of the applicant. Essentially.

Any business thinking that's a good idea needs to have their HR department clean house and get some adults in charge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone remember the "Aleksey Vayner - Impossible is Nothing" video resume?
Aleksey was a Yale student, look to get a job with the investment bank, UBS AG. He made a video resume.
The rest, is internet meme history:

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Email a video introduction with a CV [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
kiki wrote:

Let me present you with the concept of Instagram and Vine. People can blow time doctoring up little snippets to present a totally fake and unrealistic portrayal of themselves versus reality. They do it all the time with social media and are experts at the deception.

So, you get a complete fabrication of the applicant. Essentially.

Any business thinking that's a good idea needs to have their HR department clean house and get some adults in charge.

Maybe it’s a trap and they are trying to weed out those that have obviously spent far to much time on platforms like Instagram and vine? I know I wouldn’t want some wanna be influencer as one of my secretaries. To much unsupervised time in front of a computer screen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My department recently did something like this for an internship interview. One of the rules was the video had to be done within 24-48 hours so there couldn't be much editing or re-recording. Questions were sent over and the student had to record themselves answering the questions. 2nd round interviews had the same concept, 24-48 hour turnaround. This also allowed many people including non-management, to judge the candidate.

I wasn't part of the interview panel but I did hear that some kids didn't dress up and wore their sorority or school sweatshirt. That was a big turnoff even though the recording was great. Interviewers tried ignored the background as most kids had to do it in a dorm room. I heard one person did it in a cafe, I think that was a turnoff.

I'd say try to include some humor or personality in it. The thing is the CV already proves your qualified, at this point the interviewers are looking for someone who would fit with the team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought even asking or requiring a picture (for normal type jobs) was a big no-no for job interviews and could get you in legal trouble for discrimination.

Wouldn't this be the same.

Maybe there's nothing wrong with requiring a picture, but seems like it would be bound to get some company in trouble and eventually sued based on discriminatory practices.

Yes, I get that most of us have our pictures readily public available on social media and LinkedIn. But that is by our choice, not a requirement to get an interview.

Quote Reply
Re: Email a video introduction with a CV [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
It does make you wonder what qualities they are looking for. Maybe it is above board and they want to see someone who speaks well and appears friendly. Or maybe they want to use it to find someone who is physically attractive and flirtatious.

If your friend wants the job, I'd say go for it.

What qualities? Like whites only need apply?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the gist of this thread, but what is a "CV"?

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Email a video introduction with a CV [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
I get the gist of this thread, but what is a "CV"?

Here's an explanation. It's similar to a resume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This would seem irrelevant to a medical secretary role. Actually, I'm not sure what that job entails. Is there something in the job description that indicates some quality that can only be assessed via a video? Or is there some instruction to candidates to make sure their video shows some demonstration of skill or task? Otherwise it seems odd, and possibly discriminatory
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Company I work for (large bank) has started trying this in some groups. The idea is exactly as others have said - lots of people look great on resumes but don't do so well in the interviews. Phone screens are helpful but we were still wasting quite a bit of time interviewing people who weren't a great fit especially as HR did most of the phone screens and they don't have the specific knowledge of the roles or an understanding of what the group needs. For many of the roles we need relatively senior execs to be part of the interview process so trying to weed out more people as it was too much time commitment for them.

In theory a video introduction is a good idea but in practice my feelings are more mixed. Generally the candidates come off as awkward since they're delivering a monologue and for those of us on the other end, it can be painful to watch. These same people may be perfectly fine in person.
Last edited by: jkuo: May 7, 19 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: Email a video introduction with a CV [jkuo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But a video interview is different than what the OP pointed out -- which was for a candidate to provide a video intro clip.
Quote Reply
Re: Email a video introduction with a CV [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I wasn't clear but we ask for a video intro clip and not an interview like Skype(edited post). Basically if their resume passes screening and if the recruiter passes them through phone screen, we'll ask for a video clip answering some general questions and introducing themselves. If they pass that, then we bring them in. It's not quite done at the beginning but it's part of the process.

40-Tude wrote:
But a video interview is different than what the OP pointed out -- which was for a candidate to provide a video intro clip.
Last edited by: jkuo: May 7, 19 12:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My old boss (now a level above my boss) started doing this after a bad experience with a contractor.

Long story short, I work in a field with a lot of problems with social skills. The video is a quick way to screen for those.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is so timely

So I've been applying for various MBA's

I've had a regular Skype interview, I've had an acceptance with no interview but interestingly the highest ranked school I'm applying to - top of table in Europe is a video introduction

Five questions, 21 minutes, no interaction, look at camera and they review after and decide

I think that's slightly weird
Quote Reply