Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long after I'm gone - I hope my kids think of me when...
Quote | Reply
Tying this to my other thread about childhood meals. What are some things that you think or hope that your children will look back on with fond memories?

For me, I will always remember my parents sense of humor and my dad's kindness to strangers. He always went out of his way to be nice to anyone, strangers included.

He's told me one story that has always stuck with me, and I think it influenced him. When he was young and in the Air Force, he and my mom were barely getting by and had to be really frugal with their money. They had me, and my brother from my mom's first marriage. One day they went fishing and caught one or two small fish - but that was all they had to eat so they stopped by the store to buy some cornmeal. A man was there and saw them with their young family. The guy had been fishing and caught a lot of fish. He gave every one to my father. My father still talks about how much that stranger's kindness meant to them.

I hope that my children remember me for my devotion to family, sense of humor, kindness and respect for others, and some of my cooking.

What are you hoping for.
Quote Reply
Re: Long after I'm gone - I hope my kids think of me when... [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope that my boys remember all of the years that I coached their baseball and soccer teams and do the same with their kids.

I also hope that the meals that my wife and I make for them almost every day will become a standard in their lives, rather than buying takeout food.
Quote Reply
Re: Long after I'm gone - I hope my kids think of me when... [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope my kids remember that I always tried to be there for them. I went to their sporting events, I went to their plays, I went to their musicals and helped them with their homework and life problems whenever I could.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They realise they can travel and work and see the world...... And that the vast majority of it is positive
Quote Reply
Re: Long after I'm gone - I hope my kids think of me when... [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
..they have to earn their own frigging money?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that they remember that their mommy and daddy loved them very much and made sure we told them that every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They take their own children to our National Parks.

A couple of springs ago, we were Hiking in the cold rain in Zion NP. My daughter asked "Why aren't we at the beach?". I said it was to give her idea's on how to torture her own children.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they realize they're probably not mine
Quote Reply