Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Great homemade meals from your childhood [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:
Chicken Schnitzel over Rice.

And Cream Cake dessert (cremeschitte), that was crazy delicious.

With Campbell's cream of mushroom soup as a sauce?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Great homemade meals from your childhood [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kraft Mac'n'cheese with hotdogs, baked in the oven.

We used to do Sunday breakfast with fresh baked blueberry muffins slathered in butter, and scrambled eggs with bacon and my Dad's tasty crispy seasoned potatoes.

Shamrock shake from McDonalds around St. Patty's Day.

My parents kept us fed, but weren't spectacular cooks. Normal suburban casseroles, meat and potatoes type of stuff.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Great meals your mother made [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
My mom wasn’t much of a cook so I got nothing for this thread.

this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cream peas and tuna fish. It’s white sauce, add strained sweet peas and a can of tuna. Pour it over toast. My 77 y/o mother still makes that for me when she visits or I visit her.

Liver minus the onions with lots of ketchup.

I was the only sibling out of 5 that would eat those two dishes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For breakfast, I would have to go with eggs & soldiers.
For lunch, probably tomato soup (with crushed premium plus crackers) and grilled cheese sandwiches. (mac and cheese was great too, but I can't eat it anymore)
For dinner, honestly, too many to list. Homemade lasagna was great, along with Shake & Bake Chicken. Mashed potatoes formed into a volcano with gravy was always fun to eat as a kid too. A potato dish called Schwarties Hashbrowns was great also. So good that I learned how to cook it myself.
Last edited by: tri_kid: May 6, 19 22:38
Quote Reply
Re: Great homemade meals from your childhood [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
b4itwascold wrote:
Chicken Schnitzel over Rice.

And Cream Cake dessert (cremeschitte), that was crazy delicious.

With Campbell's cream of mushroom soup as a sauce?

No sauce. I remember the rice to be rich in flavor as is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a few, from a few diff people. My mom and her mom could cook well but they couldn't touch my grandfather. He drove a truck to St Louis and back every night but was a master cook in the kitchen.
Mashed potatoes and gravy - simple dish but I've not had better
homemade chicken and dumplings
a great breaded tenderloin
restaurant quality Lemon Meringue pie

Grandmother - pan fried chicken

Mom - these chicken puff things - chicken, cream cheese, spices, inside a crescent roll and baked in the oven. We were super picky eaters so my mom didn't have a lot of room to be creative.
Quote Reply
Re: Great homemade meals from your childhood [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One grandmother was the cook at a school and also for the farm hands at home so she only knew how to cook or bake in volume.

Homemade cinnamon rolls
Pot roast, potatoes and carrots and homemade yeast rolls for Sunday dinners (midday meal in Kansas)
Fried chicken, fresh green beans (that we had to snap), corn on the cob
Homemade pies

Fried eggs and bacon with coffee (cream and sugar) that my Grandpa used to make on the weekends when I'd stay on the farm before we went out to do the chores.

My Mom was a good cook too, but growing up if you didn't cook you had to do the dishes (and we didn't have a dishwasher until later). I learned how to cook really early. Once my brother and I pulled out a cookbook and made cream puffs on a whim. My brother is a great cook to this day, as am I (but not a fun to cook for one).

My Dad was a master griller and his father owned a butcher shop so he was always the guy to carve the Thanksgiving turkey, no matter whose house it was at.

For my birthday, I always wanted my Mom to make me an ice cream pie - Vanilla Wafer cookie crust, vanilla ice cream with hot fudge sauce interspersed and chopped pecans on top. Freeze until served.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next