Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

For those of you with your time not dictated by jobs etc- how do you organize your days?
Quote | Reply
So I’ve always had a jam packed schedule from work, sports, etc etc etc.

I am curious for those of you that don’t have structure imposed on you by commitments how do you organize your time?

Do you have a daily or weekly schedule? Just go total freestyle and let life hit you as it does?

I’ve see a few friends flounder at first in either retirement or staying home to take care of kids with figuring this out.

So I’m just curious how people view this and manage their time in a way that works for them.
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you with your time not dictated by jobs etc- how do you organize your days? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am betting honeydo list.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: For those of you with your time not dictated by jobs etc- how do you organize your days? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am still in the floundering stage...I still work, but it just on certain projects...

So my day is get up early, work from about 7-noon (work from home, maybe one overnight trip a month). Eat lunch, take a nap, go to the gym about 3pm, come back to my home office and work for an hour, take a shower, Dinner, watch a show or read and go to bed. Rinse and repeat. I try to meet friends for Breakfast or Lunch. With the weather better I will go play golf a few times per week in the afternoons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typical day starts at 6:20 AM and ends at 10:30 PM. My wife works. I have been retired for almost four years. I still have two kids in high school so I start the day taking them to school and later I pick them up. In between I find time to work out, take the dog out, pay bills, return calls, plan meals, clean, pick up prescriptions and groceries, arrange doctor visits, help my mom with things, clean the pool, basic Mr. Mom stuff. I normally have about 1.5 hours a day that are completely mine before anyone comes home. I use that time to read, write, watch sports or just lay out by the pool. Sometimes I will go out for lunch.with my sister who also lives nearby. I play tennis at night to avoid the heat and golf in the fall and spring. Summers are brutal in Phoenix, if you have things that have to get done outside you do that before 9 AM.

Once my kids are home I am there to help them with homework, rides to sports/friends/library etc. Chauffeur is an underappreciated job. Dinner prep starts about 4 PM, dinner is at 6. Do the dishes, enjoy a drink with my wife by poolside, or walk down to the park with the family and dog, I make sure my kids are off their phones/social media by 8:30. The adults are usually in bed by 9:30, watch a movie etc and asleep by 10:30. It's not a hard day but it is regimented so it's rather easy. I am looking forward to summer when schedules fail to exist.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By factoring the weather, the time of year, and how I feel then letting stuff happen. It is called retirement for a reason.

Wait , I lied. There is organization. Coffee and my paper is always the first thing to do every morning whenever it is that I rise. After that .....Now if you will excuse me, it is a lovely day and I feel like a bike ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just let my day unfold like a flower. :-)

Ok, not really. I'm a compulsive "To Do" list kind of guy. A good day is one in which the list gets smaller rather than larger.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found something to do every day of the week then set times. I volunteer a lot and usually work around my desired hours unless something comes up. Friday morning is usually the only morning that I may stay at home past 7:30a.