Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jared's Peace Plan for the Middle East
Quote | Reply
Guardian article discussing it here.

This last paragraph is interesting. I think the Guardian misinterprets Jared's meaning.

But Kushner, whose role in government alongside his wife and White House adviser Ivanka Trump has drawn heated criticism on ethical grounds, is at least assured of support in one key corner. “When you work for a president, you try hard not to disappoint, but you can disappoint. When you work for your father-in-law, you can’t disappoint.”

I think he actually means failure isn't an option. Given his father in law is a shitfan always switched on, so nothing sticks, Jared best be prepared to duck.

Anyway the plan should be taken on its merits. A lot of people would love to see him fall on his ass but the stakes are too high to torpedo it for that reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Jared's Peace Plan for the Middle East [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
Guardian article discussing it here.

This last paragraph is interesting. I think the Guardian misinterprets Jared's meaning.

But Kushner, whose role in government alongside his wife and White House adviser Ivanka Trump has drawn heated criticism on ethical grounds, is at least assured of support in one key corner. “When you work for a president, you try hard not to disappoint, but you can disappoint. When you work for your father-in-law, you can’t disappoint.”

I think he actually means failure isn't an option. Given his father in law is a shitfan always switched on, so nothing sticks, Jared best be prepared to duck.

Anyway the plan should be taken on its merits. A lot of people would love to see him fall on his ass but the stakes are too high to torpedo it for that reason.
-
Two sides that each show no sign of compromise on things like the right of return issue. I am hopeful, but doubtful that his plan could help start a real discussion. I do think Kushner and Ivanka are bright spots in the Trump admin, and have done some good things (Jared helping drive the criminal justice reform). Him being brought up here reminded me of a Maureen Dowd column where she interviewed the outgoing French ambassador in DC. I like his opinion on things, as it includes his honest take on all sides, saying some bad and good about Trump, media, DC culture, etc. Dowd included his comment on Kushner:
"Araud also goes against the grain on Jared Kushner, calling him “a smart guy, really”."
-
https://www.irishtimes.com/...-in-europe-1.3874314
Quote Reply
Re: Jared's Peace Plan for the Middle East [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he's in a no win situation and has to lean towards supporting Israel because of the conservative wing of the party. To try and appease Palestine while supporting a move of the capital to Jerusalem and while Israel continues to build settlements means whatever he proposes will be shot down.

It's not a criticism of Kushner, it's just the way it is when people from outside Israel and Palestine try to solve their problem. The only solution has to come from Palestine and Isreal, and that isn't going to happen in my lifetime. It's a no win situation for him, every administration since 1948 and every one in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Jared's Peace Plan for the Middle East [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I think he's in a no win situation and has to lean towards supporting Israel because of the conservative wing of the party. To try and appease Palestine while supporting a move of the capital to Jerusalem and while Israel continues to build settlements means whatever he proposes will be shot down.

It's not a criticism of Kushner, it's just the way it is when people from outside Israel and Palestine try to solve their problem. The only solution has to come from Palestine and Isreal, and that isn't going to happen in my lifetime. It's a no win situation for him, every administration since 1948 and every one in the future.

I once thought solution to be generation passing dependent. I agree this conflict will never be resolved. Even though Jared is "smart" and Donald is the Supreme Negotiator.
Quote Reply
Re: Jared's Peace Plan for the Middle East [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would you think it would be a generation passing issue?

Without having an argument about the right of the state of Israel to exist, how do you think Palestinians who are effectively stateless in other gcc countries feel and why would they just let it go?

This will never end, no more than republicans in Belfast will ever give up the idea of a united ireland

I've no idea how to solve it. I fully recognise that Jerusalem as the capital is the preferred outcome of some and I fully recognise that its not for others.

There is no middle ground here

Quote Reply
Re: Jared's Peace Plan for the Middle East [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know, maybe it was my youthful polyannish outlook on world affairs and that someday down the road they would forget exactly how they got where they were and say let's fix what our long since dead great great grandparents could not fix. Or maybe one side's lot in life would have improved to the point that the seeds of conflict dried up.
Quote Reply
Re: Jared's Peace Plan for the Middle East [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience, for what it's worth (which is not all that much) is those who were displaced, left, can't return and live in third countries like Saudi, Kuwait, the UAE and Qatar are reminded every single day of who they are, where they are from and the fact they can't go back

Successive generations are born in these states. Are not allowed nationality, have only Palestinian passports and parents sponsor their kids, then when parents retire kids sponsor them.

For many there is no moving on
Quote Reply
Re: Jared's Peace Plan for the Middle East [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a lot of confidence in the notion of a celebrity Western savior fixing everything. It seems to be a legacy-building cause cé·lè·bre for U.S. politicians of all stripes.

If there's ever an eventual solution of some kind, I tend to think it'll be more homegrown, with the right combination of Middle Eastern leaders. It ain't going to be 'Yahu and Abbas. Syria and Egypt used to be good moderating parties, but they got distracted by their own problems. It'll have to wait until at least the next generation of leaders.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]