Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me find a new running shoe
Quote | Reply
I've been running in Saucony Kinvara's for many years and absolutely love the fit, weight, and feel of them. Unfortunately I've been plagued by ongoing calf injuries for the past couple of years and I want to switch to a shoe with a steeper heel to toe drop. The Kinvara is 4mm. I'm looking for an all around neutral running shoe, light weight under 10 oz, with an 8-10 mm drop. Considering a couple of the Nike models, Zoom Fly and Zoom Pegasus, as well as Brooks Launch. Any other brands or models worth my consideration?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find a new running shoe [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I currently have the Fly Flyknit, Epic React 1, Pegasus 35, and Vomero 14 in my rotation. The Vomero is my favorite all around shoe so far. I have done a marathon (3:34) in the Fly, and it is comfy and fast.. but durability is lacking for me. I drag the outside of my left heel, and it is through the rubber insert on the Fly and the React. The carbon plate in the Fly is definitely interesting as well; particularly when I first started wearing them. I could fell the "springiness" on toe-off. I probably have around 100-200 miles on all the shoes. They are all great shoes. I really have no complaints about any of them. The Epic is the lightest of the lot, and initially I thought it was too harsh of a ride for me, but after 20 - 30 miles on it, it became a very comfortable and fast shoe. I recently ran a half in Korea in that shoe - 1:32. The Pegasus, to me, is the benchmark training shoe that's not really great at anything, but not bad at anything either. I will probably always have a pair in my rotation. I think the new iteration is scheduled to come out in May (could be wrong?). Pegasus 35 can be found for around $80 pretty easily. If you do some digging, sub $70 colors can be found with free shipping. I think Nike has the Epic React 1 for around $100 right now, as does running warehouse (just looked - RW has for $60). The Vomero and Fly can be found for around $120 on sale, if you're not picky about colors.

To summarize: the Fly and Epic will not last over 200 miles for me, but they are great race day shoes, if you're into that sort of thing. The Vomero and Pegasus will probably get me around 300 - 400 miles and I will be wearing the Vomero's most likely for HIM Gulf Coast. Another factor to think about for triathlon specifically is that the flyknit upper may cost a couple of extra seconds in transition to get your heel in, where a more rigid heel will let you "pop" it in more quickly. I do love the flyknit material for training and run races in the summer though, as I am a heavy sweater, and there's not much there to soak it up. Less "squishy-ness" than a traditional upper.

I will be getting another pair of the Vomero 14 for sure. All of these shoes are 10mm drop. Pegasus and Vomero are around 10 oz for size 9 and the Fly and Epic are around 8 oz. I wear size 15 and am around 6'3" 195 lbs if that helps at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a recent thread about replacing Kinvaras. I don't know how relevant it is to you but it may have some information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:
I've been running in Saucony Kinvara's for many years and absolutely love the fit, weight, and feel of them. Unfortunately I've been plagued by ongoing calf injuries for the past couple of years and I want to switch to a shoe with a steeper heel to toe drop. The Kinvara is 4mm. I'm looking for an all around neutral running shoe, light weight under 10 oz, with an 8-10 mm drop. Considering a couple of the Nike models, Zoom Fly and Zoom Pegasus, as well as Brooks Launch. Any other brands or models worth my consideration?

chronic calf and AT for years, ran pain free for the first time when I jumped in Hokas. Don't even need to stretch now. haha I've now gone back to "normal" shoes, pegasus turbo and 4% and am good.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find a new running shoe [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
crujones#33 wrote:

chronic calf and AT for years, ran pain free for the first time when I jumped in Hokas. Don't even need to stretch now. haha I've now gone back to "normal" shoes, pegasus turbo and 4% and am good.

My problems were AT which I do think is all related to calf issues, again for years. I don't want to overstate the part switching to Hokas helped but they must of been part of it. The reason not to overstate it is we are all an experiment of 1 sample and at the same time I started running with the BarryP approach so I couldn't know how much each part contributed. Another thing to mention is because I was also thinking about high drop helping at the time I put heel pads in the Hoka Conquest to start off with which is a bit of a frankenshoe. But after getting a few pairs and forgetting to switch the pads over occasionally I realised I didn't need them. But they may of helped in the initial stages, who knows. At the stage I did without them the little and often BarryP running may of kicked in.

Like Zedzded I'm less choosey about shoes now, I've even taken on hills a little. But what I've realised is I like a good amount of forefoot cushioning and that doesn't traditionally go with high drop shoes because geometry.

But why not get some heel pads? Sorbothane makes ones, for instance, that will effectively add 4/5mm to your shoes drop. It's cheaper and using the same pair of shoes with/without that lift is more controlled experiment than you'd get otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both the brooks launch and the hoka tracer as my speedier/lighter shoes. (I like the brooks ghost as well). Both Hoka and brooks have a great demo program...use them for multiple weeks but send back if you don’t love them...what’s to lose?
Quote Reply