Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Deadwood (Movie) [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Endo wrote:

What closures did you feel were really lacking? Maybe it's been too long since I watched the original series, that I'm not remembering major plot lines that were left hanging.

SPOILERS

1. What happened with Hurst? Although we don't know for sure, I took it as he would be tried and found guilty, since there was a witness that spoke up. I didn't exit thinking he got away with it. Add to that that Bullock witnessed his deputy trying to kill him and heard what he said, so add an attempted murder on top of it..

2. Was Trixie ever arrested? Fair enough, I took it that she walked though. I don't have any logical reason for it, except we didn't see them arrest her, and since Hearst was outed and arrested as a killer, that Trixie would skate.

3. Did Hurst send someone to arrest or kill Bullock? Again, since Hearst was arrested, my take was that would not take place. Why would Bullock be arrested? I get killing him a revenge though.

4. What happened with Alma Garret? What did she do with Charlie's land? Did she and Bullock get together? Did she leave Deadwood? This was not a significant enough plot line for me to care how it wrapped up. Seemed minor. The can't wrap up all future questions.

5. What happened with Charlie's land? Did Hurst buy a right of way? Did Hurst go around? Did Hurst go after Mrs. Garret? Going from my assumption that Hearst was in jail and probably found guilty of murder, it was a moot point. Not sure I care. The whole conflict over the land was too contrived. Alma was too well known and connected for him to go after her. This was actually one of the plot devices that bothered me the most. I think it was common (still is) to just grant easements for things like this, to run telephone line through land. Don't know why that was not an option, instead of trying to purchase the land outright...or just going around his land. Just seemed silly outcome and warranting murdering Utter for. Seemed there should have been much better options than killing him and trying to buy his land. Can you imagine how much it would cost to actually buy all the properties a phone line crosses, instead of easements. Also that is why it would have been common to just run phone lines next to the RR tracks. No need to buy up new land out in the middle of no-where. Why was Hearst not running his stupid lines along the RR route. That's why the whole situation seemed very contrived.

6. What happened to the Gem? Did it turn into a dance hall? Did Trixie run it? I assumed she got ownership of the Gem, from Al. Don' care if it was a whorehouse or dance hall. Al also gave his cash fortune to the two guys that worked for him all this time, for being loyal.

The biggest plot lines begging for closure were Hurst/Bullock/Trixie. Hurst left believing the woman who shot him was dead, so, we had a little closure there. Then, immediately upon his return, he learns that is not true. No way Hurst lets that stand or does not seek revenge on Bullock. This bothered me a lot, to have Trixie do that. Almost contrived as the Utter Land thing. Looking back on it, I think "what happened to Trixie" is the only item that I'm curious about. In my head, I believe Hearst was found guilty of murder, so all things tied to him were wrapped up because of that. But that is just the way I chose to interpret the ending.

So, we end this movie with even less closure than we had at the end of the series because Hurst knows Trixie is alive and knows Bullock is burning all his shipments of wood.

Comments above.

Like someone said, maybe you, the movie felt like just a standard run of the mill episode. Seems so much more could h ave been done with a 2 hour dedicated movie and series closer.

It was OK as a stand-alone. I didn't dislike it, I just think it was a lost opportunity.

Quote Reply
Re: Deadwood (Movie) [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
JSA wrote:
Endo wrote:

What closures did you feel were really lacking? Maybe it's been too long since I watched the original series, that I'm not remembering major plot lines that were left hanging.

SPOILERS

1. What happened with Hurst? Although we don't know for sure, I took it as he would be tried and found guilty, since there was a witness that spoke up. I didn't exit thinking he got away with it. Add to that that Bullock witnessed his deputy trying to kill him and heard what he said, so add an attempted murder on top of it.. JSA: Well, George Hearst is a real person who never served any jail time. He died in office in 1891. I know the show takes liberty with historical accuracy, but, this was a big stretch.

2. Was Trixie ever arrested? Fair enough, I took it that she walked though. I don't have any logical reason for it, except we didn't see them arrest her, and since Hearst was outed and arrested as a killer, that Trixie would skate. JSA: Maybe. But, given how big and powerful they made Hearst, I don't buy it. This was lazy writing.

3. Did Hurst send someone to arrest or kill Bullock? Again, since Hearst was arrested, my take was that would not take place. Why would Bullock be arrested? I get killing him a revenge though. JSA: For false arrest of Hearst. There is just no way Hearst and Bullock walk away from one another.

4. What happened with Alma Garret? What did she do with Charlie's land? Did she and Bullock get together? Did she leave Deadwood? This was not a significant enough plot line for me to care how it wrapped up. Seemed minor. The can't wrap up all future questions.

5. What happened with Charlie's land? Did Hurst buy a right of way? Did Hurst go around? Did Hurst go after Mrs. Garret? Going from my assumption that Hearst was in jail and probably found guilty of murder, it was a moot point. Not sure I care. The whole conflict over the land was too contrived. Alma was too well known and connected for him to go after her. This was actually one of the plot devices that bothered me the most. I think it was common (still is) to just grant easements for things like this, to run telephone line through land. Don't know why that was not an option, instead of trying to purchase the land outright...or just going around his land. Just seemed silly outcome and warranting murdering Utter for. Seemed there should have been much better options than killing him and trying to buy his land. Can you imagine how much it would cost to actually buy all the properties a phone line crosses, instead of easements. Also that is why it would have been common to just run phone lines next to the RR tracks. No need to buy up new land out in the middle of no-where. Why was Hearst not running his stupid lines along the RR route. That's why the whole situation seemed very contrived. JSA: I agree with everything you wrote, which is why this plot bothered me.

6. What happened to the Gem? Did it turn into a dance hall? Did Trixie run it? I assumed she got ownership of the Gem, from Al. Don' care if it was a whorehouse or dance hall. Al also gave his cash fortune to the two guys that worked for him all this time, for being loyal.

The biggest plot lines begging for closure were Hurst/Bullock/Trixie. Hurst left believing the woman who shot him was dead, so, we had a little closure there. Then, immediately upon his return, he learns that is not true. No way Hurst lets that stand or does not seek revenge on Bullock. This bothered me a lot, to have Trixie do that. Almost contrived as the Utter Land thing. Looking back on it, I think "what happened to Trixie" is the only item that I'm curious about. In my head, I believe Hearst was found guilty of murder, so all things tied to him were wrapped up because of that. But that is just the way I chose to interpret the ending. JSA: Way too many loose ends!!!

So, we end this movie with even less closure than we had at the end of the series because Hurst knows Trixie is alive and knows Bullock is burning all his shipments of wood.

Comments above.

Like someone said, maybe you, the movie felt like just a standard run of the mill episode. Seems so much more could h ave been done with a 2 hour dedicated movie and series closer.

It was OK as a stand-alone. I didn't dislike it, I just think it was a lost opportunity.

I agree it was a lost opportunity. See my additional comments above.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Endo wrote:

SPOILERS

1. What happened with Hurst?
2. Was Trixie ever arrested?
3. Did Hurst send someone to arrest or kill Bullock?
4. What happened with Alma Garret? What did she do with Charlie's land? Did she and Bullock get together? Did she leave Deadwood?
5. What happened with Charlie's land? Did Hurst buy a right of way? Did Hurst go around? Did Hurst go after Mrs. Garret?
6. What happened to the Gem? Did it turn into a dance hall? Did Trixie run it?

The biggest plot lines begging for closure were Hurst/Bullock/Trixie. Hurst left believing the woman who shot him was dead, so, we had a little closure there. Then, immediately upon his return, he learns that is not true. No way Hurst lets that stand or does not seek revenge on Bullock.

hearst. and that's the problem. hearst was real. so, we can't just murder him. unlike fake trixie, unless it was fake hearst who died in washington dc, then they couldn't kill hearst in deadwood.

that said, i liked it because i'm easily entertained, but it felt a little like a happy days reunion movie.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Deadwood (Movie) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JSA wrote:
Endo wrote:

SPOILERS

4. What happened with Alma Garret? What did she do with Charlie's land? Did she and Bullock get together? Did she leave Deadwood?
5. What happened with Charlie's land? Did Hurst buy a right of way? Did Hurst go around? Did Hurst go after Mrs. Garret?

The biggest plot lines begging for closure were Hurst/Bullock/Trixie. Hurst left believing the woman who shot him was dead, so, we had a little closure there. Then, immediately upon his return, he learns that is not true. No way Hurst lets that stand or does not seek revenge on Bullock.

hearst. and that's the problem. hearst was real. so, we can't just murder him. unlike fake trixie, unless it was fake hearst who died in washington dc, then they couldn't kill hearst in deadwood.

that said, i liked it because i'm easily entertained, but it felt a little like a happy days reunion movie.

Yeah, not sure where I got "Hurst" ...

Anyway, I agree. That's what I pointed out in my reply to Endo. George Hearst is a real person who died in office in 1891. Now, Seth Bullock is also a real person, however, we know more about him via "legend" than actual factual accounts.

Given that Hearst is real, we cannot really have him shot dead in the streets of Deadwood. But, we also cannot have him convicted of murder. So ... what happened to him?

No way Hearst and Bullock go their separate ways. None.

Can we take a moment to recognize that Seth Bullock lived to age 70? That's incredible, given the times and his rough life.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JSA wrote:
Endo wrote:

SPOILERS

Yeah, not sure where I got "Hurst" ...

Anyway, I agree. That's what I pointed out in my reply to Endo. George Hearst is a real person who died in office in 1891. Now, Seth Bullock is also a real person, however, we know more about him via "legend" than actual factual accounts.

Given that Hearst is real, we cannot really have him shot dead in the streets of Deadwood. But, we also cannot have him convicted of murder. So ... what happened to him?

No way Hearst and Bullock go their separate ways. None.

Can we take a moment to recognize that Seth Bullock lived to age 70? That's incredible, given the times and his rough life.

somebody in 2150 is going to marvel at us. can you believe they drove the cars themselves? with no barriers? can you believe they just ran? for no reason?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched the movie and thought it was ok.. Should I have watched the series first? didnt watch the series.
Quote Reply
Re: Deadwood (Movie) [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Watched the movie and thought it was ok.. Should I have watched the series first? didnt watch the series.

the movie was okay. the series was fantastic.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
orphious wrote:

starting the binge tonight. :o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
orphious wrote:

Started re watching the series last weekend and halfway through S.2 right now. I had forgotten just how dam good this show was/is. I'll watch the movie when I knock out the remainder but I'm curious to see how much I enjoy it coming off a fresh impression of the series.

If anything I'm much more curious about looking into what else Timothy Olyphant and Ian Mcshane have out there. Might just jump right into Justified (Olyphant). Any LR thoughts/opinions on that series (not Deadwood level good I would assume)?
Quote Reply
Re: Deadwood (Movie) [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Slowman wrote:
orphious wrote:

Started re watching the series last weekend and halfway through S.2 right now. I had forgotten just how dam good this show was/is. I'll watch the movie when I knock out the remainder but I'm curious to see how much I enjoy it coming off a fresh impression of the series.

If anything I'm much more curious about looking into what else Timothy Olyphant and Ian Mcshane have out there. Might just jump right into Justified (Olyphant). Any LR thoughts/opinions on that series (not Deadwood level good I would assume)?

Justified is fantastic! One of my absolute favorite series. Hard to rise to the level of Deadwood, but, Olyphant is simply fantastic. He is similar to Bullock, but, more reasoned. You have to suspend belief just a bit, but, it doesn't distract from the story line. Like Deadwood, a lot of time is put into character development. The characters are very, very deep and have things going on well below surface level. The writing in brilliant. Just great series.

On a side note - I have a client in Corbin, KY. I was down there a few years ago. Justified is set in Harlan County, Kentucky. I did not realize that is a real place. Well, it is very close to Corbin. So, I visited. Justified was not filed in KY, but, the scene shots from the opening were all taken from there. It is wild. The place was exactly like it looked in Justified. In addition, I found a BBQ shack that looked exactly like the shack in the series. Best BBQ I ever had.

Quote Reply
Re: Deadwood (Movie) [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
JSA wrote:
Welp, color me underwhelmed and unsatisfied. Incredible to see the old gang together again, but it seemed like a wasted opportunity. Plus, no closure.

you and i agree on something.

hbo consistently fails to get to the finish line (well aside from The Wire).

I agree for the most part, but Six Feet Under had about the most comprehensive wrap for a finale of any show I remember.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Endo wrote:

SPOILERS

Answers to some of your questions:
  • Hearst died less than two years later, and given his duties as a senator travelling between California and Washington, as well as declining health, probably didn't have the time or strength to come after Bullock, who outlived him and died in 1919 as a successful business man in Deadwood.
  • The Gem burned down for the second time and for good in 1899. (Never mind that it wasn't built until 1877, one year after the series reflects.)
  • Charlie Utter somehow survived and was last reported to have been alive in Panama in 1913. Somehow was able to leave Deadwood for Colorado nine years before the movie takes place, so maybe the guy murdered by Hearst's men was an impostor.
  • Swearengen somehow also survived, left Deadwood after the Gem burned down, and was murdered a few years later in Colorado.

So there's your closure.
The Gem burned down for the second time and for good in 1899. (Never mind that it wasn't built until 1877, one year after the series reflects.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Except Charlie Utter was also real, and they murdered him. And Swearengen was likely murdered in Colorado in 1904.

So they took plenty of liberties with what happened to real people. I get that Hearst is a bigger name, so that it may be somewhat more difficult to take those liberties, but given that real life Hearst died less than two years after movie is supposed to take place, it wouldn't have been difficult to tie that in somehow.

They could have ended with closing notes explaining what happened to characters. Something like, "Trixie lived a long life with Sol in Deadwood and they had lots of kids. Their great granddaughter joining the SLA and kidnapping Patty in the '70s.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://slate.com/...arengen-merrick.html

Interesting article on how Deadwood's local newspaper reported on the show's characters in real life.
Quote Reply
Re: Deadwood (Movie) [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elvis Runner wrote:
https://slate.com/culture/2019/06/deadwood-newspaper-black-hills-pioneer-hbo-milch-swearengen-merrick.html

Interesting article on how Deadwood's local newspaper reported on the show's characters in real life.

This is bad ass. Thanks for sharing.

Very brief historical accounts of the characters by way of the Deadwood.com site:

https://www.deadwood.com/...dwood/al-swearengen/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
Slowman wrote:
orphious wrote:

Justified is fantastic! One of my absolute favorite series. Hard to rise to the level of Deadwood, but, Olyphant is simply fantastic. He is similar to Bullock, but, more reasoned. You have to suspend belief just a bit, but, it doesn't distract from the story line. Like Deadwood, a lot of time is put into character development. The characters are very, very deep and have things going on well below surface level. The writing in brilliant. Just great series.

On a side note - I have a client in Corbin, KY. I was down there a few years ago. Justified is set in Harlan County, Kentucky. I did not realize that is a real place. Well, it is very close to Corbin. So, I visited. Justified was not filed in KY, but, the scene shots from the opening were all taken from there. It is wild. The place was exactly like it looked in Justified. In addition, I found a BBQ shack that looked exactly like the shack in the series. Best BBQ I ever had.

Great to know. It's next on the list (after the Deadwood Movie).

I really regret not stopping at Deadwood when moving Chicago back out west to Idaho a few years back. Mrs and Jr Skipjack flew back so it was just the dog, myself, and a beta fish driving cross country. For whatever reason I decided an additional 2 hours off the beaten path was not worth it. Wish I had opted to check it out. Just the cemetery would be really interesting to stroll through (though I'm sure the more noteworthy headstones are fenced off).

Anyhow thanks for the heads up. Very interested in watching more of Timothy Olyphants work and after reading a bit more about Justified I'm in.
Quote Reply

Prev Next