Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Other than family or pets - what would you save in a fire [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just scan the printed ones in. There isn’t a limit. We probably have over 10000 pictures on there. We have Apple Cloud storage too for the iPhones but it would be a ton of money monthly for all the pictures we have saved.

It’s not perfect as the quality may not be the same as the actual image but it’s better than nothing.

For us it’s way easier since our kids are 2 and 4 months their photos are all digital anyways, but the ones with our parents/grand parents are scanned and saved so we wouldn’t lose those. It’s just one less thing to worry about. Take a day one weekend and just get it done.
Quote Reply
Re: Other than family or pets - what would you save in a fire [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
windywave wrote:
Family and that's it. Everything else is just stuff. And besides, I'd get the insurance money

Pretty much this. We had a wildfire blow through within a mile of our house a few years ago. Things were *very* tense for a while. We thought we'd have to evacuate, and started making a pile of "valuable shit" on the living room floor. After about five minutes we realized that beyond the laptops and the cat, we really didn't need any of the rest of our shit; it was all replaceable.

I'm not sure why I was so lenient on the cat; that little fucker is trying to kill me and may have set the fire for all I know.

We were on evacuation orders for flooding- but had way more time than a fire. We moved a lot of stuff to the 2nd story in case basement and ground floor flooded. When we packed the truck we put in our big water cans and some food since all of the roads around us were under water we were just going to drive up to high ground and camp if needed (road up hill is behind our house so if water got to driveway we were going to leave).

I packed a huge box of chocolate which my husband made fun of - but I figured if the whole town was camping on the hill everyone would appreciate some chocolate
Quote Reply
Re: Other than family or pets - what would you save in a fire [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple photo albums and some journals I kept when I was traveling as a young man.
Quote Reply
Re: Other than family or pets - what would you save in a fire [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I used to think I would save one of my guitars, the one I have had for 16+ years. Now I am not so sure, the older I get the less I play it.

Everything else is replaceable.

I would be bummed about the hunting rifle my wife bought me, it was the first big thing she purchased for me and did it all on her own. Hopefully the gun safe would keep it from destruction.

I would also be bummed about one of my cars. 1987 Chrysler Conquest TSi that I have had for 17 years. Bought it with 28k original miles on it, it is 55k now. Would be very hard to replace, but it is also buried pretty deep in the garage so wouldn't risk much to get it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So assholes, remind me never to be a guest in any of your houses. Maybe it's just me, but I would probably save other humans that I may not be related to as well if they are in my house.
Quote Reply
Re: Other than family or pets - what would you save in a fire [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good fucking point

I expand my criteria to include guests..........
Quote Reply
Re: Other than family or pets - what would you save in a fire [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RockyMtnChic wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
RockyMtnChic wrote:
I...
Strangely enough, my car keys were on the nightstand (I never keep them in the bedroom) and when I grabbed my daughter off our bed, I hooked the keys through a finger, grabbed my phone to call 911 once out of the house and then grabbed another kid.

So I guess your choice was your phone.

Which from a pure logic stand point is a pretty good thing to grab so you can call the authorities, family/ friends, stay in touch with everyone, insurance company etc..

Only because it was on the nightstand with the keys. Had it been plugged in upstairs, it would have stayed in the house because I didn’t go through the kitchen to get out. Crazy huh? I’d also say it was pretty unconsciously grabbed. I had it and the keys when I got outside.

But still, in the context of this thread... if I get, my pets, my family, the clothes on my back and 1 item... I think my phone is the one 1 item, its a very practical answer.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
excluding family, people, and pets? Not a single thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess it would have to be my wallet with all my cards and my passport. Everything else can be replaced. Sure, cards and the passport can also be replaced, but dealing with homelessness and also trying to get all your cards reissued would be a royal pain in the ass for at least a month, especially if you lived in a foreign country like myself. There are times though that I wonder if losing everything I own would be a blessing in disguise.

Reminds me of a quote from Fight Club...

“Only after disaster can we be resurrected. It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything. Nothing is static, everything is evolving, everything is falling apart.”

and...

“The things you own end up owning you."
Quote Reply
Re: Other than family or pets - what would you save in a fire [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:
1987 Chrysler Conquest TSi that I have had for 17 years.

I had to Google search what that was. Nice car. I can't remember ever seeing one of those.
Quote Reply
Re: Other than family or pets - what would you save in a fire [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_kid wrote:
A-A-Ron wrote:
1987 Chrysler Conquest TSi that I have had for 17 years.

I had to Google search what that was. Nice car. I can't remember ever seeing one of those.

There aren't too many of them around. I saw one on the side of the road when I was 16 and had to have one. Spent a year looking for one on AutoTrader and Ebay, then mine popped up in a town 15 miles from me.
Quote Reply
Re: Other than family or pets - what would you save in a fire [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's funny you mention that. Whenever I have guests I point out their escape routes and talk about what to do if there's a fire.
Quote Reply

Prev Next