Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A passionate review of the Mueller report
Quote | Reply
Isnā€™t it amazing that the people who were closest to me, by far, and knew the Campaign better than anyone, were never even called to testify before Mueller. The reason is that the 18 Angry Democrats knew they would all say ā€˜NO COLLUSIONā€™ and only very good things!
Quote Reply
Re: A passionate review of the Mueller report [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only high crimes and misdemeanors can lead to impeachment. There were no crimes by me (No Collusion, No Obstruction), so you canā€™t impeach. It was the Democrats that committed the crimes, not your Republican President! Tables are finally turning on the Witch Hunt!
Quote Reply
Re: A passionate review of the Mueller report [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ā€œWell, special counsel Mueller did not indicate that his purpose was to leave the decision to Congress. I hope that was not his view. ā€¦ I didnā€™t talk to him directly about the fact that we were making the decision, but I am told that his reaction to that was that it was my prerogative as attorney general to make that decision.ā€

(Guess who said this false statement?)
Quote Reply
Re: A passionate review of the Mueller report [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing only Mitt from repub side said what needed to be said. Trump folks think it ok to receive help from American adversary as long has they did not do hacking. Rudy is an idiot. And given being unwitting seems to get you off the hook, door is opened for China, saudia arabia (the ksogii killers) and others to joy the fray. And the repub silence so telling. And Lindsay graham, what a piece of dung.....another lil' liar amongst many.

At least polls suggest downward slide. Guess when break over repubs will crank up "investigate the investigators" train, all thevwhile bonespurs and company are doing damn little to protect against foreign cyber/social attack.
Quote Reply
Re: A passionate review of the Mueller report [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this whole mess is the greatest distraction of all time. Trump is the master of misdirection and the shell game. We have spent two years and a few months wondering and chasing the Russians election hacking and now some folks want to focus on impeachment. So the House probably has the votes, the Senate probably not and in 9 or ten months or a year from now if the impeachment fails the election in 2020 is only 6 months away and we are still being distracted by chasing bad guys.

If the economy stays hot and unemployment numbers good, every one of the Trump voters from last time will vote the same and the Democratic party will not have even organized a good campaign. Trump is past halfway thru his 1st term and a lot of folks are falling for the misdirection and the shell games over and over. Before the last election I really thought the GOP was totally doomed and would never win another presidency, now I sort of wonder if the Dems are more broken than the GOP.

I have no answers what so ever, but I just shake my head at my friends that seem bogged down into following the distractions for weeks, months and years.
Quote Reply
Re: A passionate review of the Mueller report [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, I thought Trump was dumb.

Youā€™re telling me now heā€™s such a master mind that he was able to get a special prosecutor appointed to investigate him as a distraction (from what?) so he gets re-elected?

Didnā€™t he not really even want to be president anyway?

This is getting confusing.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: A passionate review of the Mueller report [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:
Guess when break over repubs will crank up "investigate the investigators" train,

Like Bob Woodward?

tyrod1 wrote:
all the while bonespurs and company are doing damn little to protect against foreign cyber/social attack.

When it's so common for people to seek out opinions that confirm their preconceived biases, I put little stock in the idea that Russian efforts changed the minds of many; perhaps none at all.

ā—¼ļøŽ We shall soon be in a world in which a man may be howled down for saying that two and two make four, in which people will persecute the heresy of calling a triangle a three-sided figure, and hang a man for maddening a mob with the news that grass is green. - Chesterton
Quote Reply
Re: A passionate review of the Mueller report [TMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TMI wrote:
When it's so common for people to seek out opinions that confirm their preconceived biases, I put little stock in the idea that Russian efforts changed the minds of many; perhaps none at all.

I have no idea how effective it was, but propaganda and and the darker side of even fully legit electioneering is not about changing minds. It's about producing emotional responses that energize and reinforce a belief. The Russians wanted us going after each other, even if just on Internet forums. The goal seems to have been to undermine our belief in our electoral system and society in general more than produce any particular outcome. I like to think that if I was running for office and was offered some free help from them I'd tell them to go fuck themselves.

Quote:
Like Bob Woodward?

Yes. Like Bob Woodward. :)
Quote Reply
Re: A passionate review of the Mueller report [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
I think this whole mess is the greatest distraction of all time. Trump is the master of misdirection and the shell game. We have spent two years and a few months wondering and chasing the Russians election hacking and now some folks want to focus on impeachment. So the House probably has the votes, the Senate probably not and in 9 or ten months or a year from now if the impeachment fails the election in 2020 is only 6 months away and we are still being distracted by chasing bad guys.

If the economy stays hot and unemployment numbers good, every one of the Trump voters from last time will vote the same and the Democratic party will not have even organized a good campaign. Trump is past halfway thru his 1st term and a lot of folks are falling for the misdirection and the shell games over and over. Before the last election I really thought the GOP was totally doomed and would never win another presidency, now I sort of wonder if the Dems are more broken than the GOP.

I have no answers what so ever, but I just shake my head at my friends that seem bogged down into following the distractions for weeks, months and years.

Both parties are racing against their own doom, both driven by demographics.

For the GOP, they're racing against ever growing fiscal deficits and, if they hope to survive, they'll have to jettison (or at least rework) their old trope about fiscal conservatism.

For the Democrats, they're racing against an aging population and the conservative shift that tends to happen as people age. Want to know what I'm talking about? Take a look at Collier County Florida. Huge retirement area. Almost nobody who lives in Collier County is "from" Florida. The number of NY, CT, and IL license plates you see in Collier County is astonishing and that's very representative of where those people spent most of their lives. Most of the retirees that live there were Democrats at some point in their life but look how they voted in 2016: solid red.

The Republicans, in many ways, are lucky with Trump: worst case scenario they can just use him as a scapegoat. An "outsider" and the result of "populism". While the Republicans face an identity crisis, it's manageable: none of the positions of the GOP platform really conflict with one another and, again, if something goes wrong they can just blame Trump. Or Mueller. Or somebody.

The Democrats have their own identity crisis but it's far, far worse. Many positions for the Democrats do in fact conflict. Take, for example, the notion that the wealthy should pay more in taxes. Within the Democratic Party, you could get a lot of people to say that (let's say 90%). However, there's a sizable segment within the Democratic Party that wants to talk about reparations (call it 5-10%). Those people want policies and a candidate that are both unacceptable to 85% of the rest of the Party. Similar phenomenon with identity politics (gender and all that... stuff). Similar phenomenon with climate change. To make things even worse, politicians like Nancy Pelosi, who are trying to keep the Democratic Party somewhere near the center in practice, are seen as a part of the "establishment".

In 2016 the assumption was that anyone could beat Trump and... hey, they had the anointed one so it was going to be a landslide. In 2020, the risk is that the Democratic Party spends itself during the primary. Lots of candidates will raise and spend money during the primary in hopes of making it into the general election. There will be lots of shouting. Lots of crazy ideas. Lots of virtue signaling. But most importantly, lots of time, money, and resources will be spent. Like all things finite, whatever is expended in the primary cannot be spent in the general election.
Quote Reply
Re: A passionate review of the Mueller report [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
G-man wrote:

For the GOP, they're racing against ever growing fiscal deficits and, if they hope to survive, they'll have to jettison (or at least rework) their old trope about fiscal conservatism.

For the Democrats, they're racing against an aging population and the conservative shift that tends to happen as people age. Want to know what I'm talking about? Take a look at Collier County Florida. Huge retirement area. Almost nobody who lives in Collier County is "from" Florida. The number of NY, CT, and IL license plates you see in Collier County is astonishing and that's very representative of where those people spent most of their lives. Most of the retirees that live there were Democrats at some point in their life but look how they voted in 2016: solid red.

The Republicans, in many ways, are lucky with Trump: worst case scenario they can just use him as a scapegoat. An "outsider" and the result of "populism". While the Republicans face an identity crisis, it's manageable: none of the positions of the GOP platform really conflict with one another and, again, if something goes wrong they can just blame Trump. Or Mueller. Or somebody.

The Democrats have their own identity crisis but it's far, far worse. Many positions for the Democrats do in fact conflict. Take, for example, the notion that the wealthy should pay more in taxes. Within the Democratic Party, you could get a lot of people to say that (let's say 90%). However, there's a sizable segment within the Democratic Party that wants to talk about reparations (call it 5-10%). Those people want policies and a candidate that are both unacceptable to 85% of the rest of the Party. Similar phenomenon with identity politics (gender and all that... stuff). Similar phenomenon with climate change. To make things even worse, politicians like Nancy Pelosi, who are trying to keep the Democratic Party somewhere near the center in practice, are seen as a part of the "establishment".

In 2016 the assumption was that anyone could beat Trump and... hey, they had the anointed one so it was going to be a landslide. In 2020, the risk is that the Democratic Party spends itself during the primary. Lots of candidates will raise and spend money during the primary in hopes of making it into the general election. There will be lots of shouting. Lots of crazy ideas. Lots of virtue signaling. But most importantly, lots of time, money, and resources will be spent. Like all things finite, whatever is expended in the primary cannot be spent in the general election.
This is not true! No one listen to him. There is no such a place this county he speaks of. So don't bother looking it up or make plans to come here... I mean there or ... this is fake news!
Quote Reply
Re: A passionate review of the Mueller report [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's already enough people there... what's a couple more? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Winner winner chicken dinner.

I'm a liberal, but the following can take a hike:
-free college
-us paying for people to swap genders
-reparations.......nobody remembers the Dave Chappelle skit? Toot toot, I'm rich biotch!!!!

And, how often are those topics making the rounds now? I get that reparations isn't just about cash settlements, or land. It can be written apologies and such, but let's get real, that's not what people are thinking.

To me, it feels like both sides these days will NOT dedicate to any kind of actionable issue you could put a metric to. It's all Tweets and shares and likes and bullshit.

Kind of like the difference between:
A) End wealth inequality
vs.
B) Improve minority and poverty graduation, literacy, and job placement rates by 50% within 10 years
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Yes, I would like to know what your talking about.

Last year, almost everyone in the bottom bulge (19-29) voted D (67%)
Most people in the 30-44 trough voted D (58%)
Only 50% of people above 45 voted R - 49% of 44-64 went D, 48% of 65+

Even if boomer get more conservative as they die, the age demographics are in D favor - if we use your assumption that everyone becomes a R the day they retire, there will still be more millenials that vote D and later generations. Age demographics might hurt D when millenials retire in 20-40 years.

But, 75% of asians are D, 69% of hispanics, and 90% of blacks. All those groups look to grow over the next 40 years. The census estimates by 2060, there will be 40% more black americans, 128% more asians, and 115% more hispanics. 8% fewer non-hispanic whites.

Until the parties change again, demographics are in D favor.

Quote:
The Democrats have their own identity crisis but it's far, far worse. Many positions for the Democrats do in fact conflict.

Right now, R has it easy. They are the party of conservatives. Rich white men and undereducated whites.
D are a coalition party. Everyone from center right Pelosi to pro-labour groups to Bernie-adjacent
Quote Reply
Re: A passionate review of the Mueller report [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't underestimate the "sneakiness factor"......repubs excel.
Quote Reply
Re: A passionate review of the Mueller report [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do understand how the age distribution of the country is changing over time, right? Not just the average age, but the distribution of those ages. You nicely validated the point I was making: as people age, they're more likely to vote R. Now couple that with the change in the geographic distribution of our demography and the electoral college system and you'll understand why the aging of the United States poses a problem for the Democrats (and why they're all the sudden so vocal about abolishing the electoral college).
Quote Reply